Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

299037 Views 323 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2012 1:26 PM by NzAndy Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22 Previous Next
  • NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    75. Feb 14, 2012 9:15 AM (in response to mkayc)
    Taking the leap- Training for Spring 1/2 or full?

It looks like I opened a can of worms with the magnesium comment!  I'll try to clarify and expand on it some.

If you get the spray bottles, occasional use is usually enough.  If you're cramping already it should help fix them because it's a natural muscle relaxant.  Typical adult dosage is 350 mg per day, and I'm not sure how endurance racing might change that.  Some sports drinks have magnesium in them, I use Nuun partly for that reason.  A lot of energy bars and gels have lots of useful stuff like carbs, protein, potassium, and sugars, but lack magnesium so check some labels.  It's also why I take my fuel belt along for anything longer than a 10k.  I want to know what I'm drinking.

To include more in your diet eat greens like broccoli, kale, and spinich or nuts like almonds and cashews.  Beans like soy, kidney, black, and lentils are also good sources as is dairy.  You need to eat more than pasta before a race. 

When doing longer efforts a lot more focus on maintaining yourself becomes essential too.  Include more stretching and flexibility work, massage (I use a foam roller), and recovery days.  This will help reduce cramps and injuries as a whole.  Doing all this has helped me take 9 minutes off my 10k times from last year so I'm pretty stoked with the results.  Of course, what counts as a longer effort will depend on your own conditioning and fitness level but as you push to go further and/or faster you'll find this helps more and more.

Hopefully that has helped but let me know if not.  Keep up the great work and keep collecting more medals for the wall at work!

Andy

Relentless Forward Motion

• pennymt Expert 47 posts since
    May 8, 2011
    76. Feb 16, 2012 5:28 AM (in response to NzAndy)

Thanks Andy for clarification on the mag phos.  Will try the spray definitely.

Mary Kay, I'm sure that office wall will be decked with your race medals sooner than you think.

Debra, checked out the Runner's World Smart Coach.  Thanks for the tip.

I started training 3 days ago for my 2nd HM on May 6.  Will be running 4 times a week, 2 easy runs, 1 pace run, and 1 long run very Sunday.  Got my first GPS watch,  a reward I gave myself after my first HM.  Felt like a little girl on Christmas morning, discovering a puppy under the tree.  So excited using it while on my runs. 

Run safe and run fierce.

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    77. Feb 16, 2012 9:38 AM (in response to NzAndy)

Penny, Stephanie and I will be running our HMs that weekend, also. Graduation, baby!!

Who's got pain? I bought myself a Stick yesterday. It wasn't cheap but it's really easy to carry and use compared to foam and can reach spots foam won't reach. Had serious leg pain yesterday in calves and used the stick. Afterward the pain was still there but manageable so I did an hour of strength training and then had absolutely no pain. Of course, it's back again today but not as bad. I'm in love but suspect that may be partly because of it's shape. Uh-oh, did I say that out loud?

http://www.amazon.com/Stick-17-5-Self-Massage-Tool/dp/B001004ZYQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1329413863&sr=8-3

Andy, my local running spot didn't have the spray. I'll keep looking. Luna bars have a little magnesium and since they are made by Cliff, I would assume that Cliff bars do also. The S'mores and Nutz Over Chocolate are good. I never noticed but Luna says, "for Women." because they have Calcium, folic acid and iron. Aren't these things good for men, also? (rhetorical).

So my brother (52 y.o.) just txtd that he's running again (so effing competitive) and he's up to 5 miles.  I say "great! how fast are you? maybe we can run?" He says, " I used to run a 7 mm but now I'm down to 8."  Grrrrrrr. He was in the Army for four years and ran daily in the 1990s after he came out.  About ten years ago he stopped; he said it hurt his back too much. So I take an interest in running and he starts back at it. I really am pleased for him. Who doesn't want to see someone healthier and happier? But then he had to brag and of course he'll be better at it. Right now all I want to do is charge up the Garmin, set it for run/walk intervals and push for enough distance to leave him in the dust.  And I don't even feel bad about that. Am I alone?

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

• VirginiaBreeze Pro 104 posts since
    Apr 22, 2011
    78. Feb 16, 2012 10:30 AM (in response to mkayc)

Greetings all!  I'm pretty much in the toughest part of my half-marathon training right now.  I'm running in the Shamrock Half in Virginia Beach in just about a month.  I'm pretty sure I selected that one because its sponsored by Yuengling and there will be lots of beer at the finish line.  I finished my first half last fall in 2:05, so I'm targeting 1:59 for this one (it is completely flat and I should theoretically be stronger now).  It sounds better to be under 2 hours.  I'm totally blown away by the person who did their first half in 1:36 after three months of training.  That is 7:20 minute miles -- I doubt I could manage that for one mile, much less 13! 

...mike

....mike

Started C25K 4/14/11, finished 6/23/11

Allen Stone 5k 7/16/11 (32:59)

Started B210k 7/20/11, finished 8/31/11

McDonald's Richmond Half-Marathon 11/12/11 (2:05:29)

Shamrock Half-Marathon 3/18/12 (2:09:43)

Monument Ave 10k 3/31/12 (no goal -- just hoping I'm still walking after the half)

Oct 23, 2010
    79. Feb 16, 2012 2:23 PM (in response to mkayc)

You can find a powdered drink mix form of the magnesium at GNC stores which are common in most shopping malls.  That will probably be the easiest way to find it and allows you to mix it in with your other drinks if you want. 

Beat me with a stick??? Take a number!     Actually I use a lacrosse ball for more focused pressure than the foam roller can provide.  I got that tip from a massage therapist after a race last year. 

I agree with Mike that having a good finish line motivator helps a lot.  My next half finishes in front of New Belgium Brewery who are the main sponsors.  I'm also aiming for 1:59:59.99 for a goal but I'll be happy with whatever I get because it should be way faster than last year.  The first half of this course is all hills so a negative split is my big strategy. 

Mary, you have medals for finishing races.  He doesn't.  Until he has more than you I'd say you're ahead of him.  That gives you more time to keep collecting medals too.

Andy

Relentless Forward Motion

Jun 8, 2011
    80. Feb 16, 2012 3:39 PM (in response to NzAndy)

I'm off to try and log 4.5 on the dreadmill with a very sore leg but have to say, Andy, I love how you think! I am way ahead in medals and he won't be able to run as many as me because he still has two kids he has to drive around on the weekends. Wheee. 

Mike, smh and jealous at the same time Yuengling is good beer. Cincinnati was settled by Germans and has a lot of beer themed everything in case anyone is interested. I signed up last night for the Hudy14 - http://hudepohl14kbreweryrun.com/  9/22/2012 It's a party where a race broke out, a 14k and 7k with about 2000 ppl. Along with the age group prizes they have prizes in weight categories. Embarrassingly, if I don't lose any weight between then and now, I can qualify. There's also the Reggae Run in August. Entrants get four free beer tickets. Both support really good charities.

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

• silentstrider Amateur 31 posts since
    Jan 11, 2012
    81. Feb 16, 2012 8:39 PM (in response to mkayc)

Hi all,

The foot is having good days and bad days.  It is becoming a major set back, but I know I have to rest it and continue to stretch it.  My next "long race" isn't until May, thank god.  Just have to go slowly on it for now.   Good to see everyone doing so well.  Mary Kay, I wish you the best in beating your brother, lol.  Good luck to everyone and safe runs.

Nick

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 57:02 4/10/11

Chicago Run for the Zoo 10k 1:06:51 6/05/11

Chicago Half Marathon 2:33:49 9/11/11

Chicago Hot Chocolate 15k 1:34:20 11/05/11

Chicago Polar Dash 1/2 Marathon 2:21:11 (PR) 1/21/12

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 48:48 (PR) 3/25/12

May 8, 2011
    82. Feb 18, 2012 5:19 AM (in response to mkayc)

Hey everyone.  I'm browsing through Jeff Galloway's training program and it suggests just 3 running days to prevent injuries.  I'm running 4 days a week. Am I overdoing it and need to pull back to 3?

Has anyone here tried arnica gel for muscle pain and stiffness?

Nice to hear that Mary Kay, Stephanie, and I are doing our races  on the same day, May 6. 

Beer after a race, life could not get any better.  Pass the pizza and buffalo wings, please.

Mary Kay - you will definitely beat your brother and even your boss in one of your runs.  They just got chicked by you!

Nick - wishing you a fast recovery and be extra careful with your runs.

Run safe and run fierce.

Jun 8, 2011
    83. Feb 18, 2012 2:33 PM (in response to pennymt)

Penny, you are fierce!

7 miles today, y'all. I DID IT!!! Slowly! With a 2:1 run walk. 8 next weekend.

Mary Kay

• girlintheorchard Pro 168 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    85. Feb 18, 2012 6:33 PM (in response to edensacres)

Stephanie~So glad to read your back and ribs are better, and you are able to get back out for a run.  Two miles is great after being off for 3 weeks.  Take it easy, and slowly build up your mileage again.  I know it is hard, but be patient with yourself.  You will get back up to the 6 mile mark again!

Mary Kay~WOOO HOOO!!!!   WTG on accomplishing 7 miles!  Looks like you are a run/walk convert!

Penny~Is the 4x/week running working for you?  Are you able to recover quickly after each run?  Have you added cross-training into your training?  If you are concerned about the 4th running day, you could try pool running, biking or eliptical machine in place of the running.  All the aerobic benefits, but less impact.

Nick~Keep up the rest and stretching.  Hang in there!

Andy~Thanks for sharing all the info on magnesium! 

Mike~Best wishes in your quest for a sub 2 hour HM!  Here in Milwaukee it is almost mandatory to offer beer along with the bagels, bananas and bottled water after a race!

Ran a 5k today, and took another 1:30 off my time!  Those long runs and speedwork have paid off I guess.  Awesome 30F degree February day with sunshine, no wind and beautiful views of Lake Country. The course was through a residential lakeside community with winding roads and a couple of hills that were a challenge, especially the very end of the race.  Who does that!  Thanks to all the spectators who kept yelling "Don't stop!....."Keep Running!....."You can do it!".   The fifth and final race of the winter running series coming up on St. Patrick's Day.  It has been great to have a race every month to train for and the running series benefits Childhood Cancer Research.  Looking forward to running all 5 races next winter!

Run strong, friends!

• Rennmaus Pro 61 posts since
    Jun 28, 2011
    86. Feb 18, 2012 11:57 PM (in response to pennymt)

Penny,

I have used arnica just this past week. I had increased my mileage to 9.1 miles (yay!) and felt some muscle pain afterwards. It worked like a charm :-) Unfortunately today after a short run (only 2-3 miles in my neighborhood) plus walking some stairs I felt some pain in my thigh/hip... not sure what it is, but it hurts with every step :-( I applied some medical ointment plus will wear a heating pad overnight. I hope the pain goes away soon, otherwise I have to pause running.... not good! :-(

Britta

Britta

XTERRA Crystal Cove Trail Run 6k - 52:33.5

Redondo Beach Superbowl Run 10k - 01:05:49

Big Sur Half Marathon on Monterey Bay 11/18/2012

May 8, 2011
    87. Feb 21, 2012 5:09 AM (in response to Rennmaus)

Mary Kay - Good job on the 7-mile run.  Going for 8 would be easy as pie.

Stephanie - It is nice to hear that you're back to running.  Just take your time in regaining your strength and you will be back in top physical form sooner than you would expect.

Britta - I'm getting the arnica gel tomorrow.  Maybe a little rest and icing may help the thigh/hip pain too.

Debra - Congrats for shaving 1:30 on your 5k time.

I do light weights and swim on non-running days. There are weeks that the 4-day running sched seems so hard to do due to work commitments.  So, I end up getting up 30 minutes earlier to squeeze in  an easy run in the morning. 

I am trying clif bar shot energy  gel instead of the GU.  Doing a little bit of experimentation with nutrition at the start of my training program.  Still looking for the mag phos spray, still not available in my local running and sports shop. 

Run safe and run fierce.

Oct 23, 2010
    88. Feb 21, 2012 7:45 AM (in response to pennymt)

Penny, check out the margarita flavor shot blocks.  They have twice the sodium of the others and it's nice to not have everything be so sweet.  Also, I've picked up some Endurox R4 drink mix from GNC that has a high magnesium content.  Since bringing this up on the forum I've talked with some friends in the tri club and they recommended it.  It will have the same effect as the spray and be less to carry.

Mary, keep up the great work.  Just be sure to go easy on every 3rd or 4th weekend.  Consistently going longer will eventually lead to bad results.  You only get stronger when you rest after a workout.  If you chart an intensity graph of the workouts ideally you'll get a 3 step cycle with one moderate, one hard, and one rest week.  On the light weekends just do a short midweek style workout instead of a longer one.  Nothing over 1 hour, and low effort levels for the recovery workouts.  If you end up sore like Britta then alternate the ice and heat while you rest but take some time off.  Going to new distances will take a lot more time to recover from.  I typically need 2 weeks after a half marathon during which time I don't do any running, just walking which makes my dog very happy. 

Andy

May 8, 2011
    89. Feb 23, 2012 6:07 AM (in response to NzAndy)

Thanks Andy for the tip.  Will sure try the shot bloks soon.  Personally, I prefer clif shot gels than GU.  I like the consistency better and easier on the stomach too.  You mentioned a tri club, so I am assuming you have done some tri events.  Please share some of your triathlon training experiences since I am really interested in trying a sprint triathlon next year.  I am eying an aquathalon this summer but still hesitant (scared to death of starting the swim portion). 

Mike - good luck on the HM.  Beer seems to be a good motivation for that sub 2-hour HM finish.

Run safe and run fierce.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...