Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

292782 Views 323 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2012 1:26 PM by NzAndy RSS Go to original post 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22 Previous Next
  • NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    90. Feb 23, 2012 8:28 AM (in response to pennymt)
    Taking the leap- Training for Spring 1/2 or full?

Penny, I can understand being scared of the swim leg of a triathlon having been through that learning curve.  After a dozen or so tri's of varying distances there's a few lessons learned well worth passing along.  The most important thing is, to borrow a phrase, don't panic. 

The obvious question is how good of a swimmer are you?  I had a series of lessons to improve my technique before starting on doing lots of training laps at the pool because in swimming good technique is essential.  Olympic swimmers are around 12% efficient in the water while typical recreational swimmers are around 6 to 8%.  Bad form will have you around 1% for the same energy so the further you're going the more important it becomes.

The next question is if you're going to wear a wet suit.  Swimming in one is very different and can feel kind of restricting.  Do what you can to get some practice time in before the race because it also changes your form due to the extra flotation the provide.  Personally I won't do an open water swim over 1/4 mile without my Orca suit, but it is personal preference.  I did a post in the triathlon section entitled 'wetsuits 101' last year.  See if you can find it for some other details.

Open water navigation is another topic in itself.  The short answer is to either try to find a landmark and/or just follow everyone else.  Following the crowd usually works ok but isn't foolproof.  Again, if you get the chance to go do some open water swims then take it.  I get some time in at a local res here which offers special times with lifeguards on kayaks. 

Finally, to avoid getting roughed up in the swim start I do a few things.  First I wait for the main crowd to take 3 steps before I dive in so I'm drafting off everyone instead of competing for space.  If there's another wave behind me I'll stay on the outside of the lane so I don't get run over.  It's a little hard to get used to people literally climbing over you so I just avoid it.

I hope that wasn't too long, but those are the main points to consider.  It's a little off topic for running but in the spirit of cross training for long runs it's good info.  I've found that doing tri's results in better results on all 3 disciplines with less time spent on any single one compared to when I only did biking or running.  What distances are you looking at?  I got started on special short distance events and training groups in the tri club which worked well for me.  Let me know if I managed to answer your question or if I missed the point.

Andy

• mkayc Legend 582 posts since
    Jun 8, 2011
    92. Feb 23, 2012 1:20 PM (in response to NzAndy)

Andy, thanks for the great training advice. I wondered about the rest weeks because I've heard about them but seen a lot of difference in schedules. There was no break in my training group plan. There's a minor break in the HH plan next week. I'm going to cut back more on it since I am already hurting and racing that weekend (10k). Loved the swimming advice and sent it off to a friend who is training for his first tri. He's particularly nervous about the swimming. It must be a big hurdle for most folks. I HATE sweet when I'm running so will be looking for shot blocks. My running store used to carry them but stopped. I used them for snacks when I got jammed at work so now I'm out.

Penny, thanks for the good wishes and your plans sound like fun. Good luck!!

Stephanie, side stitches are from breathing problems. Try going slower or run/walk at shorter intervals? Going from two to three miles is great! Just think what that would have been like if you hadn't been running before. It's hard for the same reason, conditioning. Your stamina should bounce back in two to four weeks. See how the training goes and roll with it? I keep telling myself I started doing this because I thought it was fun.

Debra, you are running like the wind! Those are some great times!! It's amazing given the chill factor. I am very impressed.

Britta, I'm looking for Arnica and also my ice/heat pad, which is probably lost in the back of the car from the last ice storm, for my knee. I had the hip problem and PT had me exercising and icing it three times a week. I had to stop running for six weeks, though. Hopefully yours is not that bad. Good news was that the PT worked and I have no hip pain now. Good luck!

Nick, Thanks for the wishes with my sibling strife. I'm trying to forget about it. I don't much like that part of me. So sorry your foot is still screaming at you. be patient? Hopefully with rest it will feel better.

Today's 4.5 and then this weekend's 8 miles and then I'm cutting back. I love that I'm training but this is starting to feel an awful lot like real work. On the up side, I am still doing it which is more than I ever thought would happen four weeks ago. Trust is realllllly hard for me I guess. Lost another bf, probably because I was too busy training to pay attention to what was going on. C'est la vie. If he cared about me, he would have cared about what I thought was important? I'm wondering if I'll recognize the point at which this becomes too much a part of my life. If you have to ask the question, chances are it's already too late?

Run fast and strong and have fun!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

PRs: 5k - 36:42; 8k - 1:10; 4.15 m - 53.41; 10k - 1:18; HM - 2:56:31

I may be slow but I'm persistant.

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

It won't be easy but it will be worth it!

Oct 23, 2010
    93. Feb 23, 2012 3:59 PM (in response to mkayc)

Mary and Penny, if nothing else you can get the Margarita flavor blocks at REI.  Local running/bike stores don't usually carry all flavors so it can be hit or miss.

Stephanie, Mary is right that run/walk intervals will help the side stitches.  Your diaphram is a muscle like all the others and needs to be trained for the harder breathing you'll be doing.  Try some short hard efforts of 30 seconds with 2 minutes between them.  Do that 4 times to start with and build up from there, but not every day.  The actual times are only guidelines so feel free to vary them.  Just be sure to be warmed up before you do them.  You have to be breathing hard for short periods to improve your resistance to a side stitch.  As for the race entries, I have found that it's better to try and raise your base fitness before trying to peak for a race.  It gets far better results in less recovery and more enjoyment.  That means balancing training with life so you don't burn out too early.  I'd say train for a 6 to 8 mile goal for now and then build for the HM about 8 weeks out after you can do 8 miles comfortably.  Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Andy

• Rennmaus Pro 61 posts since
    Jun 28, 2011
    94. Feb 23, 2012 6:25 PM (in response to mkayc)

Mary Kay, I got my arnica at Whole Foods. Regarding my hip pain... it is back :-( I had four rest days and was painfree, so today I decided to go for a run... Well, I had to stop after one mile! :-(((((  The pain came gradually back and eventually got so bad that I had to stop running. I was so frustrated. Now I am back to heat pads and ointment. :-((( I am afraid I have to pause for a longer time now.... which drives me crazy because I am used to run 5x times a week and am used to a high mileage. I had to pause for 2 weeks in the fall and it threw me back so much. oh well...

sorry to hear you lost another bf. I totally get what you mean that trusting is hard for you. hugs to you!!!!

Britta

XTERRA Crystal Cove Trail Run 6k - 52:33.5

Redondo Beach Superbowl Run 10k - 01:05:49

Big Sur Half Marathon on Monterey Bay 11/18/2012

• GinnyinPA Pro 150 posts since
    Sep 29, 2011
    95. Feb 24, 2012 7:47 PM (in response to edensacres)

It looks like I may be running my first half in March after all.  My husband and I have been wandering around Georgia and Florida for the past three weeks, and a couple of days ago he suggested we head back home.  We should get there in a week or so, about a week before the race.  I hadn't wanted to push going home, because I knew this trip was important to him, and I had signed up for an alternate HM in April in case we didn't get back in time.  So now I find myself two weeks out - and I'm scared silly.  I've been running all along, and getting in some decent mileage, but mostly easy trail runs.  No hills for the past two weeks (Florida is very flat) and the race course I'll be doing is all hills. I haven't done anything over 12 miles yet, though that should change tomorrow if I can find a good place to run in northeast Georgia.  But I feel so under-prepared.  Yikes!

• VirginiaBreeze Pro 104 posts since
    Apr 22, 2011
    96. Feb 25, 2012 8:45 PM (in response to edensacres)

This thread took off when I was MIA from the forums, so I missed it.  I'm 3 weeks out from my second half-marathon.  The race I'm running is famous for being quite windy for a 3 mile stretch in the middle.  Today it was quite windy here, so I thought it would be good training to run in it.  I've never run in this kind of wind before (20 mph, gusting to 30) and I wouldn't be at all sad if I never ran in it again.  Not only did I feel like I was going backwards when the winds were fierce, but it was insanely cold as a result.  I wasn't trying to hit a race pace, but when it was uphill and against the wind I really thought I was going to drop.  I'm hoping that it isn't quite as windy at the race and I'm pretty sure it won't be quite as cold as it was today.

Ginny, I remember well that feeling.  You are probably in much better shape than you think.  After this weekend, start cutting back your mileage, beause you are now in whatever shape you are in, its time to start building your strength for the race.  I felt the same way as you did last Fall and ended up not only beating my goal of running the whole time and not finishing last, but coming in like 20 minutes faster than I predicted.  Sometimes you surprise yourself.  Besides, what's the wost thing that could happen? 

Stephanie, I read somewhere that deep breathing and occasionally pursing your lips and blowing out air like blowing out a candle on your exhale would prevent side stiches.  When I feel one coming in, I concentrate on that and it really does seem to prevent them for me.  Once it starts, if you take a walk break and push up on the right side of your stomach that seems to make it go away faster.  Some people say stretching makes them stop faster, but that never works for me.

....mike

Started C25K 4/14/11, finished 6/23/11

Allen Stone 5k 7/16/11 (32:59)

Started B210k 7/20/11, finished 8/31/11

McDonald's Richmond Half-Marathon 11/12/11 (2:05:29)

Shamrock Half-Marathon 3/18/12 (2:09:43)

Monument Ave 10k 3/31/12 (no goal -- just hoping I'm still walking after the half)

• pennymt Expert 47 posts since
    May 8, 2011
    97. Feb 26, 2012 12:43 AM (in response to NzAndy)

Thanks Andy for the awesome advice.  I really appreciated it and made me realize that I am rushing my training schedule too fast too soon.  I decided I need to prepare more and try to swim in the open water whenever possible.  So, I skipping my aquathalon this summer and concentrate more on my 2nd HM on May 6.  I would probably take it easy for 3 weeks, then start serious training for the aquathalon.  I swim  and bike (cross-training) alternately on non-running days, though. 

Stephanie - for side stitches, Mike's tip on deep exhale works for me too.  I try to eat at least an hour before my run.

Mary Kay - try not to think of it work.  What works for me when I would take a little bit longer to get up in the morning is the idea that for every mile, my thighs and legs would be losing cm in circumference, getting near to that skinny jeans.  My skin will clear up and have that glow.  Finally, I will not feel guilty if I have that cupcake for dessert.

Britta - hope you recover soon from the hip pain.  Maybe you can try Voltaren gel for the pain.

Ginny - It is so nice to hear that you will be heading home and will be running your HM.   As you said, you were running and getting decent mileage in.  I wish hills could be a runner's best friend.  Think of it when you go uphill, it will stop at some point, and it is all downhill all the way.

Mike - Welcome back.  Good luck on the HM.

Run 5 miles today.  After that, went to the nail salon to pamper my runner's toe, right 2nd toe is black. Anyway, a nice elderly lady beside me  just asked me what happened to my toe.  Told her that I just run my first HM 13.1 miles 3 weeks ago.  She had this perplexed look on her and just ask me why on earth will somebody run for 13 miles when they can hop on a car and drive.  She kept saying that I might be damaging my knees and what about the kids, who is feeding them when I am running for 2 hours.  Told the nice lady  no kids yet, then she said that is why you have no kids, you keep on running.  Anyways, I just answered that I just love the time I have with myself, hearing myself breathe and my feet plodding along the pavement.  It calms me. Maybe she still thinks I am a bit crazy but crazy happy to be running while I can.

Run safe and run fierce.

Jun 8, 2011
    98. Feb 26, 2012 6:02 PM (in response to Rennmaus)

Britta, such nice thoughts! Thank you. Dating at this age is soooo not for sissies but my skin is getting thicker. I just never wanted to get good at it; just wanted to find a relationship and start trying to do it right with someone who was less of a lunatic than my ex. There is a saying that we all have exactly what we want in life, which I think is harshly depressing but quite possibly true. I most definitely would put training ahead of a relationship at this point. Odds of success are muuuch better.

Andy, your input has been so valuable. I just finished my first fueled run and have no muscle pain. Seriously? I could have been avoiding this just by eating some potassium every two miles. Well, live and learn. Found the GU gummies I like so much but they interfered with my breathing (because I mout breathe) so I switched to Hammer gel. Didn't actually use a whole package cause the texture skeeves me out so had a mouthful here and there. will take water next time. 

Ginny, you sound HM ready to me! You've run 12 miles !! My HH HM training stops at 10 miles; he says the excitement of the race will take you the extra three miles. I said BS to that and started two months early but you can DO this! So, there might be some walking. Embrace the excitement and enjoy and then you can bug me in May when it's my turn.

Penny, I am trying not to use food as a motivator because I have a powerful relationship with it but if that's what works...Had a chocolate milkshake after this run and I'm over that. An article said chocolate milk is as good after a long run as Gatorade but all Walgreens had was energy drinks and Starbucks, so I went to DQ. Way too rich! I'm afraid to think this will actually help me lose weight because that kind of thinking is what got me started running and I've only gained but hope springs eternal. I'll keep my fingers crossed and calories counted. 

Well, that 8 mile run that has been haunting me? DONE!! Yeah, baby, 8.5. That's how I roll - very slowly. It was sunny with a mild wind today, warm in the sun with icy puddles in the shade. Have no muscle pain. NONE! Feeling a little like a runner today, folks, and thinkng maybe I can make it to the end.

Find your happy place, all!

Mary Kay

Running: Started 5/6/2011; Graduated C25k - 7/21/11; Graduated B210k - 11/24/11;

Goals: 5k under 30 min.; HM under 2 hr.; AG award in the USAF HM! and one full marathon.

• silentstrider Amateur 31 posts since
    Jan 11, 2012
    100. Feb 27, 2012 10:23 AM (in response to edensacres)

Mary Kay - Congrats on the 8.5.  Your mileage is already pretty high with over 2 months to go.  You'll do great on the Flying Pig!!!

Britta - I hope the hip pain goes away soon and you can get back out there.

Ginny - 12 miles is fantastic.  I know your nerves are jumping.  The only bit of advise I can give, is to remember your pace when you run.  13 miles is a long run, you don't want to be out of steam too soon.  Other than that have fun and enjoy the race.

Stephanie - I am glad you are feeling better, hope you are able to get back on the training plan in time for that HM.

I've been running indoors for the past month on the treadmill, averaging about 4 miles a run and trying to monitor my foot.  I figured that I tore the planter pretty well on the last HM and its taken a while to heal.  I am going to go run outside for the first time today.  I plan to run from the office downtown to the lakefront and run a few miles along it.  My hope is that my foot doesn't give out on me at this point.  I don't have a long distance race till May (10m).  I have two races of 8k and 5k coming up in the next two months, so I have to get back into the racing mindset. Oh I also taking a cardio/strength class to break up my routine for non run days of just lifting wieghts.  I took the first class last week, suprised to find out I'm the only male in the class.  The class is an hour long and kicked my butt.  Needless to say I am enjoying it.  Hope all are well, run safe.   

Nick

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 57:02 4/10/11

Chicago Run for the Zoo 10k 1:06:51 6/05/11

Chicago Half Marathon 2:33:49 9/11/11

Chicago Hot Chocolate 15k 1:34:20 11/05/11

Chicago Polar Dash 1/2 Marathon 2:21:11 (PR) 1/21/12

Chicago Shamrock Shuffle 8k 48:48 (PR) 3/25/12

Oct 23, 2010
    101. Feb 27, 2012 12:46 PM (in response to mkayc)

Mary, Hammer is good stuff too.  I've used it frequently and have no complaints.  Be aware that all energy gels should be taken with water or a drink of some kind.  The typical sized sachet will take a few ounces of water out of your system for processing so washing them down is more than just helpful.  Don't overdo them or you'll get a bad response from your stomach.  Just keep up the great work and reap the rewards.

Avoiding injuries and recovering from them are always a hot topic.  My 2 cents is to not go too far too fast because when you're really stressing yourself is when you're inviting injury.  I've decided that I'm not getting the time for long runs and changed my May 50k run to the 25k division for this reason.  I'll be better off focusing on doing 13 to 15 miles well than trying to build out to 31 on too short of a schedule.  There will always be more races, and building running endurance takes a long time compared to riding or swimming.  Recovering is frequently more about patience in keeping your efforts small and easy until you can handle the harder/longer runs again.  How much you can do will be very dependent on your own situation but listen to your body and don't push it too hard without giving it enough time to recover.

Ginny, I suspect you'll do fine and will smoke the course.  If on the day you do end up feeling like you need to back off some and walk then by all means do so.  It's very easy to get into the racing mentality of trying to beat a goal time but for me it's all about finishing.  I've never DNF'ed a race in 9 years, but had to take some seriously drastic action at times to keep that record.  I don't even call them 'races' but 'events' because while I have an expected time goal it's only about finishing and feeling good about the accomplishment.  I'm not racing against anyone or anything except the course so if I finish I win.  It's a simple philosophy but it works for me.  Either way best of luck and enjoy the day out.

Andy

Jun 8, 2011
    102. Feb 27, 2012 2:06 PM (in response to edensacres)

Stephanie, Thanks!! So sorry we will be missing each other at the Pig.   It would have been fun but not at the expense of your health. Three runs of three miles is great for a start! You will bounce back. You'll feel it when you do.

Thanks, Nick. Hope your foot is doing ok after the run. Good for you with the cardio! I'm thinking of replacing my strength workout with Zumba but Nahh.

Andy, thanks for reinforcing my water needs. I have a bad record of taking care of me right. I jumped the gun on races already and the season isn't even here! The HH training suggested a 10k for this week so I registered for that a while ago and my group training includes registration in the Heart MiniMarathon - 15k. Was I paying attention to the dates? F-nooooo. So the Shamrock Shuffle folks posted a really neat logo for their shirt and it's a small race in a flat local area so I'm thinking, yeah! and registered. Now I have three races in three weeks. Lovely. I'm taking your advice, Andy. I could run a 5k or 10k for the Shuffle. I'm going down to the 5k and just focus on getting it done. I guess I'll try to throw in some hill climbs and speed work this week. One of these days I have to bite the bullet and go back to racing with the group. Ugh. They make me feel so inadequate.

Enjoy those runs, folks! It's all good!!

Mary Kay

• Rennmaus Pro 61 posts since
    Jun 28, 2011
    103. Feb 27, 2012 10:59 PM (in response to mkayc)

Penny, Mary Kay and Nick,

thanks for the good wishes. I am quite frustrated about my hip. I just had reached such a great level of running and was able to run 9 miles.... I just cannot believe it. Not working out at all the moment, that doesn't feel right. 

Penny, I am using Voltaren gel, which I got from relatives in Germany. I heard that Voltaren in the form of tablets are more effective. Are those even available in the US? 

Mary Kay, I so understand what you say about dating and putting your running ahead of a relationship. My ex-bf did not work out at all and in the end we were quite some opposites in that matter. I am wishing you the best!

In general do you guys have any good advice regarding hip injury? I decided that I will pause until my finals (which are March 7th) and until then I am hopefully fully recovered. I can't believe how far I have gotten and then my hip started making trouble! If all goes well and I can start running again on March 7th... any advice on which level I should start? I would have a had a break of 2 weeks then. I just want to be able a HM this year.....

Thanks guys!

Britta

Britta

XTERRA Crystal Cove Trail Run 6k - 52:33.5

Redondo Beach Superbowl Run 10k - 01:05:49

Big Sur Half Marathon on Monterey Bay 11/18/2012

• ydiez Pro 122 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    104. Feb 28, 2012 1:06 AM (in response to Rennmaus)

Rennmaus, regarding your hip injury, treatments vary depending on the exact type of injury you have (from the way you describe it I believe it might be more of an articulation pain). I strongly advice you to take it very very calmly, injuries do happen and the trick is to tend to them before they become serious.

First of all, give it some rest and see if it improves, your body is subject to a higher level of stress that it used to, so it is normal to get some pains and sores, but when one of them becomes "serious", it is important not to let it worsen. If it does not go away, then I would consider seeing a doctor and/or physiotherapist.

I am learning this the hard way, I had a small, annoying pain in the big toe of my left foot, as it didn't hurt much I paid it little attention. Finally it has gotten me out of training for two weeks now and I now know that I have worsened a bunion that I didn't even realize I had. I am now undergoing physiotherapy treatment and things are beginning to look up in terms of pain and future running prospects.

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...