Skip navigation

1516 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2012 8:14 AM by NzAndy RSS
Gaylen Fair Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 20, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 9, 2012 2:53 PM

Olympic tri 1wk before 1/2 marathon??

Hey all!

This my first time posting on this site.  I have read threads from others and am grateful for the knowledge I have gotten from their posts and responses.  So here is my dilemna:

I am an "newer/experienced" triathlete (this will be my 4th season) and I am working up to the half ironman distance.  As a step toward this goal I have signed up for the Wine Country Half Marathon on May 12, 2012.  I have my training plan all set up and I am confident I will complete this race as it will be my second at this distance.  Unfortunately, I didn't look at the calender to see when my other races for the year fell.  I have also signed up for Wildflower olympic distance May 6...just one week earlier!!  I know the week before I should be tapering for the half marathon or on the other hand, in recovery from the triathlon.  Am I asking to get injured if I participate in both events?  Should I go ahead and do both, but pick one I want to concentrate my efforts on?  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

• Moriates Legend 297 posts since
    Jul 19, 2008
    1. Jan 10, 2012 6:50 AM (in response to Gaylen Fair)

It all depends on how your are recovering and your goals for each of the races.  It is not that difficult to recover from an Oly right in to a 1/2 marathon the following week.  If you want to do both, I would determine which race will be your priority to focus on the peak performance for that race and use the other race more as a training/performance indicator race.

GREG C. MORIATES

Owner/Coach - LET ME HELP YOU ACHIEVE GREATNESS!

GCM Endurance

www.GCMEndurance.com

Team/Club Xtreme Multisports, Inc.

www.xtrememultisports.com

Blog: http://xtrememultisports.tumblr.com/

Become a Fan: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Xtreme-Multisports/117254468321101?ref=sgm

Twitter: http://twitter.com/xtrememulti

Sponsors:

VCRC Bikes | FFWD | Synergy Sports| SportMulti | Skins USA | Rudy Project | Athletes Honey Milk | Honey Stinger | Tri Life Gear

• mjm 62 Pro 91 posts since
    May 18, 2008
    2. Jan 10, 2012 11:20 AM (in response to Gaylen Fair)

Gaylen

I wish I had this dilemna!!I'm having knee surgery next week.I would train hard for the Oly seeing as you are shooting for the Half Iron but get some rest after the Tri,if it were me -Race Tri Sun/Sat rest Mon, 6miler Tues,rest Wed, 10miler easy on Thur,rest Fri and Sat assuming your Half is on Sunday,Best of luck,Mike

Cape Coral Yacht club sprint 1:03

FGCU sprint 1:03

Columbus Marathon 3:50-2010

Gator Half Ironman 5:43-2009

Venice sprint 1:09/25th overall

Captiva sprint 1:04

• rdlong Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 22, 2008
    3. Jan 12, 2012 2:37 PM (in response to Gaylen Fair)

I'm a bit less experienced than you. I did my first two 70.3 tris last year. in the month before the first, I decided to sign up for a half marathon just a few days before it happened, and "threw in" an olympic distance tri in the 2 month "gap between the first and second 70.3. For me, the half had hardly any impact on my training - and, with the Olympic tri, found that, being in training mode for the 70.3, it was a "piece of cake" (and almost 40 minutes faster than my first Olympic, 8 years previous). Based on my (little bit of) experience, I don't think that doing the Olympic the week before the half Marathon should have much of an impact at all - just your "long workout" for that week.

I made a similar scheduling "goof", and am running my first marathon 3 weeks before a 70.3. Not ideal, but I think I should be able to find a way to manage.

good luck!

ronald

• NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    4. Jan 25, 2012 8:14 AM (in response to Gaylen Fair)

Last year I won a free entry to a local half marathon which was a week after an olympic tri.  I gave the tri my best effort and tried to recover as best I could during the week.  On race day I found that I was fine to about mile 9.5 when I decided I was just plain tired and nothing at the aid stations was going to help.  I walked most of the last few miles but still finished and enjoyed the morning out. 

How much it affects you will be entirely up to 2 main factors: your current fitness and how hard you go in the tri.  With 3 seasons behind you I'd say you'll be fine.  Enjoy the run and just be willing to accept it may not be at your fastest possible pacing.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points