Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

14340 Views 410 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2007 1:19 AM by Jim24315 1 2 3 ... 28 Previous Next
mainerunnah Legend 897 posts since
Aug 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 1, 2007 6:24 AM

June 50 Plus Training and Racing

OK Guys and Gals let's get this month off on the right track...we don't want to be posting this month in last month's post lets we get some serious fines levied upon us by SR. 

Euphoric - I won't tell anyone about this mornings post...shhh! !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|border=0!

Next goal races for me are the 3 miler on June 15th just looking to be sub 19 and a 5K on June 23rd that I am hoping to post a sub 20 at, this is the third running of this one and it is a tough hilly course and the weather has been brutally hot both years.

8 x .25 mile "steep" hill repeats on the schedule for this afternoon...we're having pretty good showers with thunderstorms expected today. As long as the thunderstorms stay away I'll be out there! !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/smile.gif|border=0!

----

My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

"Keep on Running"
Bob

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    1. Jun 1, 2007 6:30 AM (in response to mainerunnah)
    Re: June 50 Plus Training and Racing

Is it already June?  It's Day 6 of Week 13 for me.  Yoga.

• runningindc Legend 267 posts since
    Sep 29, 2007
    2. Jun 1, 2007 7:56 AM (in response to mainerunnah)

Friday

A hot, hazy and humid 3.65 miles in 42:05 for a 11:32 m/m

11:25, 11:08, 11:54, and .65 at 11:49

While physically I felt strong my legs cried for me to stop..I told them to shut up. They will get even with me for sure.

----

Running in wellness

Liz

Lizs Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    3. Jun 1, 2007 8:15 AM (in response to mainerunnah)

9 mile this morning at 7:40 pace.  Was suppose to be a recovery run at 8:30's but my training partner is a Puerto Rican greyhound named Raphael.  I ran 1st 4.5 with him with a couple miles below 7:00 pace.   Guess I'll try a long slow run again tomorrow.  Next goal race is 5K in Hebronville, TX July 7th and hope to get close to my master's p.r. of 18:49.  Really last chance in TX heat and humidity before late fall.   I'm sure the painted pony will appreciate our new thread.

ksrunr
    drinking the wind

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Jun 1, 2007 12:32 PM (in response to mainerunnah)

Yes KS, I was thinking the same thing about planning out races before the heat comes.  On June 16th I am doing a tenK in Dallas and in mid-July we have a 15K called "Too Hot to Handle" which everyone runs just for the hell of it, since no one runs it fast.  I'm hoping for a relatively cool day on the 16th for the tenK.

An easy 8 on the dirt today, which gives me 52 for the week with tomorrow yet to go.  I will do 8 at the lake and have a 60 mile week, following that dismal week in Tacoma.  Spareribs

• Legend 1,827 posts since
    Nov 9, 2007
    5. Jun 1, 2007 2:01 PM (in response to mainerunnah)

"..the painted pony.."  SNORK!

Oh you mean the Swart Stallion?  

• ced53 Legend 727 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    6. Jun 1, 2007 5:13 PM (in response to mainerunnah)

Hi Ilene!

Hot day here in MA.
    I took a water bottle and went to do 6xhills.
    Started out kinda easy and was secretly hoping for negative splits.
    1:45/1:43/1:42/1:47/1:50/1:38
    HR was around 175. But wait there's more.

On the 2nd to last I noticed HR above 190. My max has always been 190 (I thought). So the last one I worked harder on the first half, and then tried to turn it all the way up (to 11). I saw 199 for 5 sec or so (not a spike). Could not get 200! Damn. Once in a post stage interview Lance Armstrong said he was cross eyed at the finish and he maxed out at 200.

Anyway this is good for training. When I am not fit, I cannot push to max HR.

Burger for lunch. I earned it.

-c
    Airg

• Dark Horse Legend 1,684 posts since
    Oct 9, 2005
    7. Jun 1, 2007 7:15 PM (in response to mainerunnah)

quote:

Originally posted by Ileneforward:

"..the painted pony.."  SNORK!

Oh you mean the Swart Stallion? !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!

Heh, I hear worse things in the Army. Since most of you don't hang out in the Weightloss thread, here's a story from today:

This afternoon I was walking down to the PX in shorts and t-shirtwith pistol and ammo of course; we have to carry a weapon everywhere, including the chow hall.<br /><br />I passed an officer, who congratulated me on my recent chess result, and added, "Good luck in San Diego! Hey, maybe you'll get a movie contract while you're out there!"<br /><br />A passing enlisted soldier said to his buddy, kinda-sorta under his breath, "Yeah, gay p0rn." <br /><br />I could have pretended not to hear, but couldn't help laughing out loud.  !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/biggrin.gif|border=0!<br /><br />Dark Horse<br /><br />--

I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course

• JPGarland Legend 776 posts since
    Dec 7, 2007
    9. Jun 1, 2007 10:17 PM (in response to mainerunnah)

Things are a bit cooler on trails.  Tonight I headed out for Twin Lakes/Nature Study.  As I was reaching the end where I turn, a woman went by in the other direction.  Took me a bit to catch her and then we ran together for the duration of my run.  It was fun, and she helped me keep a reasonable pace.  I tend to pick it up on trails.  She's a Friar and runs X-C and track, staying with friends at Iona College (which is half-a-mile from the trail head).

• glidegal Legend 506 posts since
    Mar 7, 2005
    10. Jun 2, 2007 2:01 AM (in response to mainerunnah)

I took a vacation day todayhoohah!  I decided to run my short circuit quicklymostly to see if the reverse of this loop I usually do is easier/faster than the other way.  Both ways involve lots of hill work.  I ended up doing today's circuit in 32:01 for 3.69 miles as opposed to 36.34 for the clockwise version on Wednesday.  Now I am intrigued... either way, today was a fast run for me... so that was fun.  I've been feeling the beginnings of a periformic (?) right glute for the past couple of weeks.... trying to keep it stretched.... how can it be june already?  amazing.  glidegal

• ced53 Legend 727 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    11. Jun 2, 2007 8:07 AM (in response to mainerunnah)

quote:

Originally posted by bobscamman:

Hey there Pro our workouts today were eerily similar!

Hey that is a coincidence! But how did you do that at such a low HR? My HR goes to 150 when I put my shoes on. An easy run is 140's. How about your easy run HR?

Very comparable stats too. You are ahead in the long races, and vice versa in the 5k.
    -Criag

• euphoric Legend 940 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    13. Jun 2, 2007 10:27 AM (in response to mainerunnah)

My heart rate was 52 at the end of a very strenuous hour of yoga yesterday.

Last night, at a retirement party, I learned that guys will agree to just about anything after drinking 4 beers before dinner. We did 8 miles this morning. I chose the distance and they chose when to pick up the pace. It was lots of fun and the engineer in the group tried to explain the "point of inflection" and "line of discontinuity" as we ran uphill and the grade changed during the incline. The guys were fast, but I could last. That put me at 27 miles for the week.

I feel confident that I will achieve my October goal after checking the course. I have to complete the 10 miles in 2.5 hours.  I have one 5k in 2 weeks and another next month.  I'm still deciding which local race to enter in August.  Thanks for all your help, guys!  Stay cool.

• Spareribs823 Legend 2,040 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Jun 2, 2007 12:29 PM (in response to mainerunnah)

Saturday:  I got a break today.  A newcomer arrived at the club and I got assigned to run him over the course and show him where we go.  He said he runs "about 9:30 a mile."  I wished it were that fast.  But I got in 8 slow ones, helped a newbie, and got 60 miles in this week.  Feeling super.

Nice effort Glider.   Spareribs

1 2 3 ... 28 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...