Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2126 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 11, 2012 8:29 AM by pacificfit
rdlong Rookie 5 posts since
Aug 22, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 12, 2012 2:17 PM

recover after a marathon to quickly prepare for 70.3?

I'm running my first marathon, and doing a 70.3 (my third) this summer. Just discovered (arguably foolishness on my part), that they're just 3 weeks apart (Marathon is first). Wondering if any of you have experience with closely spaced events, and suggestions on how to best use those 3 weeks. I'm using the training plan from "Smart Marathon Training", which includes a good amount of cycling (and, in my case, swimming) as part of the training.

thanks

ronald

• hofftimus Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 1, 2011
    1. Jan 25, 2012 6:44 PM (in response to rdlong)

I'm wondering the same thing. I'm about to do my first marathon on Super Bowl Sunday, February 5, 2012 and after that I'm going to start training for my first 70.3 in the summertime. I haven't decided on an event yet, but I'm going to be hiring a Triathlon coach to help. I'll probably be doing a Sprint and Olympic distance as training races. I did my first triathlon 9/11/11 at the Olympic distance.

Thanks,

Cody

• BalancedTrainingSolutions Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 26, 2012
    2. Jan 26, 2012 10:53 AM (in response to hofftimus)

Cody and Ronald,

First week after your race make rest your #1 priority.  They say for every hour of racing take 1 day off...so if your race lasts 3 hours then take 3 days off completely.  After that do short mini workouts just to work out some of the soreness.  I wouldn't run much at all until at least 7 days after and then I would keep it very short and low intensity.  It takes a while to recover from a marathon (depending on your running experience).  If you are relatively new to running then you will need more time.  I am a big fan of deep water running for recovery and to maintain running form during an injury or immediately after a hard or long race.  Deep water running helps speed recovery (Zero Gravity). 

Best of luck with your racing and feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Pete

Owner and Coach

Balanced Training Solutions

http://www.wix.com/pjtriman/balancedtrainingsolutions

Feb 1, 2011

Yes. The week after is recovery only. I even took off the week from work so I can recover well. Maybe after 3 days I'll do some light running but its all how my body will feel day to day. I'm not new to running but new to running long distance. I just ran my first 10K Super Bowl Sunday last year and I'll be running my first marathon Super Bowl Sunday this year. I'm going to be having a coach for training for the 70.3 and he knows I'm going to be doing a marathon so he won't be having me doing anything. February 13 is when I'll be back to work and hopefully fresh for a good workout but who knows except my body.

Thanks for your advice and support

Cody

• JoshuaHickey Amateur 12 posts since
    Sep 15, 2008
    5. Jan 30, 2012 6:49 AM (in response to rdlong)

I'm doing the Surf City Marathon followed by Ironman CA and here is my game plan:

1) Nutrition is the first ingredient to recovery.  Within 30 min post race I will have my staple chocolate milk and BCAA followed by a meal asap to feed and repair.  Pay close attention to what works for you 30 min post event and execute on your own individual nutrition plan.  Realize, if you miss this window you will not recover in a timely manner.  Also, stay away from alcohol as it will delay recovery.

2) Ice or massage is the second ingredient to recovery.  Within 1 hour post race, go jump in the ocean or your hotel pool to promote blood flow back to the legs.  Get a massage at the post race venue.  In priority order, this is the second choice I make on my recovery game plan.

3) Sleep is the third ingredient to recovery.  Plan your schedule to eliminate all variables that contribute to stress so you can promote a good night sleep each week the following night.  Your not resting if your off day is standing on your feet all day or working chores around the house so go into an almost vacation mode during the recovery days to accelerate rest.

4) Grocery shop for anti inflamatory foods is the fourth ingredient to recovery including including green tea, garlic, turmeric, blueberries, cherries, brocoli, salmom.  When I first started doing endurance sports I noticed the use of Advil post race by a shocking large population to help with the inflamed muscles so why not use real food for this same purpose.

5) Active Recovery is the fifth ingredient.  Foam roll and stretch as part of your daily routine.  After a marathon, your legs are beat but you can still cross train and get in the pool the following week when you are ready without taking a toll on your tired legs.  When you do start hitting the legs again, do some easy days first on the bike then running.  You should be able to flush out the soreness going easy on the bike to maintain your active routine and not lock up by going cold turkey.

Good luck!

Feb 1, 2011
    7. Jan 30, 2012 9:28 PM (in response to rdlong)

Thanks Josh I'm actually running in the Surf City USA Marathon as well this Sunday!! Yes I have a foam roller myself and have used it pretty often since my first half marathon. I have never done an ice bath and want to do one after my marathon. How would you recommend me doing it?

Cody

• JoshuaHickey Amateur 12 posts since
    Sep 15, 2008
    8. Jan 31, 2012 5:42 AM (in response to rdlong)

Cody,

The ice machine at the hotel & bath in the room is one option but you can actually get the same effect by stepping in the 58 degree Ocean after right there at the Surf City finish.  Another portable ice bath/foam roll option is to freeze a water bottle and remove the plastic then use the ice to massage just like you would rolling with a baseball (kill's two birds with one stone ice + roll).  Good luck at Surf City and pay attention to your salt/electrolyte's, the ocean air tends to suck it out more than usual. 

Josh 

• Moriates Legend 297 posts since
    Jul 19, 2008
    9. Jan 31, 2012 10:56 AM (in response to rdlong)

Not really that tough to recover from a marathon in to a 70.3 three weeks later.  I woul irst determine if you want your marathon or your 70.3 race to be your priority.  I would say you should use your marathon more as a training specific race and be very disciplined in racing at your correct zone.

Then take that right in to your 70.3 taper.  Ice baths, foam roller and getting on the bike for some light workout spinning the legs imediatly after will help a lot to flush out the legs.

GREG C. MORIATES

Owner/Coach - LET ME HELP YOU ACHIEVE GREATNESS!

GCM Endurance

www.GCMEndurance.com

Team/Club Xtreme Multisports, Inc.

www.xtrememultisports.com

Blog: http://xtrememultisports.tumblr.com/

Become a Fan: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Xtreme-Multisports/117254468321101?ref=sgm

Twitter: http://twitter.com/xtrememulti

Sponsors:

VCRC Bikes | FFWD | Synergy Sports| SportMulti | Skins USA | Rudy Project | Athletes Honey Milk | Honey Stinger | Tri Life Gear

• pacificfit Legend 147 posts since
    Jan 9, 2008
    10. Feb 11, 2012 8:29 AM (in response to rdlong)

Read this (it's for Ironman, but most of this will work for marathon):

http://www.rockstartriathlete.com/ironman-triathlon-lightning-speed-recovery-secrets/

Cheers,

Ben

My blog is at http://www.BenGreenfieldFitness.com

Also, I'm giving away a free 7-part series on "How To Become Superhuman" at http://www.SuperhumanCoach.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points