Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

754 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2012 6:59 AM by Roisin1 RSS
Roisin1 Rookie 2 posts since
Jan 8, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 17, 2012 10:57 AM

Aching Kneecaps!

Hi, i've just started running and whilst I am really enjoying it, my kneecaps have begun to ache.

Initially I was training on the footpaths around town.  Last week I went to the local sports arena twice (hilly with gravel paths).  Now my kneecaps are aching - they feel bruised on the inside if that makes sense?!

Any tips or advice - i've given training a miss tonight in the hope my knees recover.

Thanks!

R

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. Jan 17, 2012 2:20 PM (in response to Roisin1)
    Aching Kneecaps!

Hi Roisin,

Consider running on a padded track or softer surface.  Also, re-evaluate your shoes to make certain you have enough cushion and support.  You may also benefit from high leg-lifts and stretching before your workouts.  Try exercises focusing on raising your legs towards the chest, for example.  There is one routine where you march forward with a short stride while raising the knees straight upward as far as possible with every step.  (holding the position briefly before the next step).  I have tried this and it does seem to help prepare/warm-up the knees and lower legs.

Wishing you all the best!

• Runner-sgt Amateur 15 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    2. Jan 24, 2012 7:35 PM (in response to Jasko123)
    Aching Kneecaps!

Hi, I've been thru it...it isn't fun! As a beginner you should first evaluate your footfall. This can be done by taking a running clinic/class and finding out your gait and seeing how your foot actually lands when you run. Typically when you have knee issues its because you may be landing on your heels and leaning too far back. Over-cushioned shoes have "trained" people to land on their heels and roll forward to their toes when they run. Even though this seems to make running easier because you are using your momentum instead of propelling yourself forward after each step, your ankles arent taking any of the impact shock recieved the way they should and your knees are absorbing it all. This impact and vibration can cause the kind of "bruising" feeling that you described. When your foot hits the ground your mid-foot/ball of the foot should be touching first. This means that as you run your body should be in a forward position, not leaning back. You should feel like you're running the way most kids run, leaning slightly forward.

If it becomes more than a slight discomfort and escalates into pain it could be something more sever. Some knee pains can be caused by IT Band inflammation. This is common in beginners because the IT band isnt familiar with the constant back and forth motion and rubbing on the femur. This band is used to stabilize the knee during running and is a common player in knee issues associated with running. 

My recommendation: See a dr before continuing your program/workouts. Start slowly after that and try to pay attention to how you run. If needed, change it slowly by monitoring your landing and making sure you're running correctly after every 1/2 mile or so. After a while it'll become natural, but you may relapse to your old way of running at times of exhaustion/fatigue. I would personally stick to low-impact methods (i.e. elliptical) for the meantime so that you can still get the cardio benefit without injuring your knee more, until its fully healed. Good luck! Hope this helped. 

Anthony D.

2006 Valley of Flowers Half Marathon Lompoc, CA: 1:35:15

2007 Inaugural Pismo Beach Half Marathon: 1:31:27

2007 Valley of Gold Half Marathon Tuscon, AZ: 1:40:08

2007 Valley of Flowers Half Marathon Lompoc, CA: 1:28:40

2007 Surf City USA Half Marathon Huntington Beach, CA: 1:31:31

2008 Pier to Peak Run Santa Barbara, CA

2008 Rock-n-Roll San Diego Marathon: 4:03:18

2008 Inaugural Rock-n-Roll San Antonio Marathon: 4:21:45

2009 Guam Ko'Ko Road Race Half Marathon: 1:29:37

2009 Guam PIC Half Marathon: 1:27:53

2010 Guam Ko'Ko' Road Race: 1:32:17

2010 Guam Marathon: 3:36:09

2010 Guam Perimeter Run 50K: 6:08

2011 Guam Two Lovers Point Half Marathon: 1:27:12

2011 XTERRA Guam Off-Road Triathlon Finisher

2011 Guam Summer Sprint Triathlon Series Finisher

2011 Rock-n-Roll San Antonio Marathon: 4:16:06

...and coming this year!!!

2012: "Highest Marathon in the America" Madison Marathon, Montana (July 2012); Air Force Marathon Wright-Pat AFB, OH (Sept 2012); Le Grizz 50K Glacier National Park Montana (Oct 2012); Dirty Dash Billings/Missoula Montana (June/Sept 2012)

"Run til' you cant anymore, then run some more..."

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points