NEED HELP?|

2278 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2012 1:28 PM by lwesterhold
courtney92 Rookie 2 posts since
Jan 19, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 19, 2012 1:55 PM

Femoral Stress Fracture

Hey everyone,

I am new to using forums. I was diagnosed with bilateral femoral stress fracture 2 weeks ago. Luckily, my left one is pretty much healed up but my right one was pretty bad. I have an amazing doctor who recommended I stay on crutches for a week. Her prescription for me is:

3 weeks- recumbent bike/swim/pool run

3 weeks- start biking >90RPMS, swim, pool run

CHECKUP- if alright

3 weeks- elliptical

start slowly running.

I have been using the Pete Pfitzger pool running recovery guide.

But, to make everything worse, I also tested midline positive for osteopenia. I will be starting to use a bone growth stimulator next week.

I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with this injury or has any recommendations. I'm sure you all could imagine I'm pretty bummed, especially because I won't be able to compete at Collegiate Nationals.

• lwesterhold Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 27, 2012
    1. Jan 27, 2012 12:43 PM (in response to courtney92)
    Femoral Stress Fracture

I feel your pain... literally, I've been there 3 years in a row.  However, I did a LOT of research, and went to a number of doctors.  What was happening to me was I'd be on a training schedule, about 3/4 into the longer runs (14 mile) the first year it happened, I fractured the ball of my foot.  I was on crutches and a boot for 9 weeks.  The following year I fractured my tibia running.  The third year, my foot again (same place).  they thought it was caused by lack of blood flowing to the bone which causes the bone to die and become frail, did surgery and ruled against that.    I did also have a bone density test (multiple) done and also tested midline positive for osteopenia.  The forth year, I started doing a LOT of research on aerobic versus non aerobic training.  What I found was that during my training I was always way above my aerobic heart rate levels.  When you are in an an-aerobic level, your body creates a lot of lactic acid which at high levels can affect the strength of your bones.  Whereas training at an aerobic level, your body has a chance to strengthen your bones.  Since then, I have worked at training at an aerobic level for very long times during training on impactful sports (running) and raise the aerobic levels during swimming and biking.  I have been fracture free for 3 years running now and I think that has a log to do with it.  Hope this helps. 

• lwesterhold Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 27, 2012
    3. Jan 27, 2012 1:28 PM (in response to courtney92)
    Femoral Stress Fracture

I do focus most of anaerobic on biking and swimming, but I do still throw in short spurts of running anaerobic, but ONLY after a couple months of aerobic running to work on speed but just enough to do a speed workout, but short enough not to have too much lactic acid built up continuosly while running without having a solid base of aerobic, bone strenghtening work down.   I have also found weight training helped me out tremendously as well to reduce fractures.  I take calcium supplements and iron (I've had so many chemical blood work ups to get the right balance).  They also found that I was vitamin D deficient, so I was put on hydrochlorothiazide (1/2 pill) costs about $5 a month and now my calcium, iron and vitamin D numbers are perfect.  Make sure they run blood work on those as well as urine to check if you are excreting any iron or vitamin D.  

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points