Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1689 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2012 1:22 PM by PAPAYA33
PAPAYA33 Rookie 2 posts since
Mar 17, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 28, 2012 7:08 PM

IM St. George Bike Course

To anyone who has raced the St. George Course, I have already completed an ironman and am looking forward to the race in May in St. George. This summer I crashed HARD going down hill and still have scar tissue healing on my elbow. My main concern over this entire race is the Descent portions of the bike course. Can anyone give me insight on how steep and curvy the descents are? I can climb all day but am timid on the down hills. Thanks for any insight and comments!

• jlbaugnon Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 4, 2008
    1. Feb 8, 2012 7:20 AM (in response to PAPAYA33)

I did the inagural IM St George in 2010 so assuming the course hasnt changed much (I know they changed the BRUTAL run course), it is a manageble decent.  While it is fairly steep at times, has some wide sweeping turns and can produce top speeds in excess of 50 mph if you let it, it is not the worst decent i have experienced.  Don't think of a mountain roand with tricky switchbacks, think of a 5 lane highway meandering down.  lots of room to move around and plenty of time to see where you are going and to prepare for the next section.  Hope this helps!!! 

• Billy137 Amateur 14 posts since
    Feb 8, 2012
    2. Feb 8, 2012 7:24 AM (in response to PAPAYA33)

I haven't done the Ironman yet, but training to do it this May.  I have ridden the course many times and the down hills are worse on paper than they really are.  There are 2 steep grades of downhill, but not real curvy at all.  And I believe they are about 8-9% grades.  The only thing that worries me on those is a cross wind.  It's a rather large road and the turns that they do have are longer turns so your not riding the brakes.  I usually rarely have to use my brakes, and I am by no means a great descender.  Also, if you are interested there is a forum on the St. George course on IAMTRI, lot's of people on there with alot more experience than me to give you more insights.  Here is the link if interested:  http://iamtri.com/group/ironmanstgeorge2012

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points