Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2173 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2012 1:01 PM by deanscox RSS
deanscox Pro 107 posts since
Jan 3, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 3, 2012 8:30 AM

"Toothache in my knees and thigh(bones?)

I am a 53 year old male, 6' 3" tall, 180 lbs.  Just started the couch to 5K program and am in the middle of my second week.  My cardio response seems normal to this new activity, winded but getting better already.  Two days a go when I started the second week (5 minute walk followed by 6 intervals of 90 second jog and 2 minute walks and 5 minute cool down walk)   When I finished and was cooling down I had pain in both keens and thighs and hips that I can best describe as a very intense burning "toothache" style pain.  I have a very high pain tolerance, but this goy my attention.  I run on blacktop.

I took 3 ibuprofen and wrapped my knees in ice packs and ace banages.  Within in 90 minuets the pain was gone and I functioned normally the rest of the day.  Today I am experiencing the same thing after my jog except that the pain does not seen to be as far up my thigh, and my hips are, for the most part, not involved.  I took 3 more "vitamin i"  and am wrapped in ice again.  

I know my body is probably just reacting to the shock of physical activity after 35 years of not regular exercise.  Do joints, bones, ligaments and all the connective "stuff " get stronger just like muscles when you get exercise?   I am not going to quit, I am just trying to determine if my symptoms are "normal."

Thanks!

DC

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...