Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1361 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2012 9:26 AM by ngoetting
ngoetting Rookie 4 posts since
Nov 8, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 6, 2012 4:09 PM

extreme healthy eater attacks chocolate bowl!

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for reading. I'm a newbie and have been running for 1.5 years, recently started training for my first half marathon.

I am very into healthy eating and enjoy learning all I can about nutrition; I am also quite strict about my eating....except when it comes to the chocolate bowl at work!

About every other week, I find myself uncontrolably attacking the supply of chocolate. It almost happens like clockwork. Even when I allow a few pieces of dark chocolate a day, this will happen seemingly out of nowhere.

Is this common in newbies in training, or with runners who become too strict in their diet?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks and happy running!

ngrunner

• ydiez Pro 141 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    1. Feb 6, 2012 11:37 PM (in response to ngoetting)

First of all I am not a nutrition expert. Once said that, I assume what happens to you is normal, mainly because the exact same thing happened to me too. I used to run 2-3 times a week but recently started running 5 days to train for a half marathon. As a result I find myself eating chocolate after most long runs and even gummy bears as in-race "food". It is important to strees that I do not really like chocolate nor candy and did not usually it them before.

My guess is that your body is now burning more than it used to and "asks" for what it needs which in both are cases must be sugar and fat. I found some good advice when I asked around about the same thing. Eat what you "crave" for without worring to much but do keep an eye on your waistline as it is easy to overcompensate. In terms of weight I have stabilised at what used to be my lowest-usual weight. In my case I take this means I have put on some muscle as I feel and "look" quite a lot thiner. By the way, I completed my half marathon two days ago in a (for me) wonderful 1:36:07 (that as you can see fills me with pride). 

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time! The goal is set for March 15th (tentatively at 3h20min, but it sound like science fiction at the moment so I might adjust it down).

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Feb 7, 2012 5:30 AM (in response to ydiez)

A great quote on nutrition:  "Eat to train, don't train to eat"  It is easy to over indulged I can eat a box of vanilla wafers, control is a must.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points