Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2012 Views 29 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2007 1:44 AM by Dark Horse RSS 1 2 Previous Next
tselbs Legend 1,208 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 15, 2007 4:40 PM

Port Austin 8K

This race takes place in the little tourist town of Port Austin at the tip of Michigan's "thumb" on Lake Huron.  It was the 7th consecutive year I've done the race, the first time was in my second year of racing.  The 8K had about 40 participants and the 2 mile run and 2 mile walk each had about 90.  There is a lot of local support and family groups participating, particularly in the 2 mile events.

I was surprised, and pleased, to see my friends Terry, Brian, Brian's wife, Angie, and Angie's son Josh show up. This was their first time at this race. There were a number of others that I knew. Among them were Karl and Larry who have participated every one of the 15 years the race has existed. Karl is in his 70s and a running legend in the northern "thumb". Larry is in his 40s and one of the faster runners in the area. I was pleased to see Katie who I haven't seen for a couple of years. In high school, she dominated the area in girls cross country and track. She holds the course record for the gals and has been running for Michigan State University.

On the way to the race, I realized that I hadn't checked what time I ran for my 8K PR on this course last year. I thought I had about an 8:20 pace and thought an 8:15 pace might be possible and would get me a new PR.

The temperature was about 60, it was overcast, and threatening rain. I took off with Terry and Angie. I expected them to quickly pull ahead but Angie fell back a bit and I was staying with Terry. The first two miles are paved and fairly flat. I didn't think that Terry and I were pushing very hard but, at the 1st mile we were just about at an 8 minute pace (post race, my GPS showed an 8:02 pace for the first, approximate, mile. I thought that was a little fast for me to hold but kept going. About midway through the second mile, Terry pulled away and I figured I'd slowed to a more reasonable pace for me. At the second mile, my watch showed a time that would go along with that. After the race, my GPS showed that I had gone a little more than a mile and my pace for that approximate mile was 7:47. I guess I speeded up when I thought I was slowing. The third mile was a little rolling with the overall trend uphill. It was also hard packed dirt strewn with "roundish" stones about an inch in diameter. At three miles, my watch read 25 minutes so I had slowed during that mile and made me wonder if I'd lost my chance for a PR. Post race, my GPS showed a pace of 9:09 for that approximate mile. The fourth mile had a short stretch that continued the uphill dirt road and then turned onto pavement that was uphill for a bit before leveling out. It looked like I'd gained back a little time and that maybe if I could push a bit in the last mile I might still get my PR. It turned out my pace for that approximate mile was 8:23. Somewhere, maybe towards the middle of the third mile, it started to rain, steady and gentle, but no problem. About the 4 mile mark, I pulled up to and passed a guy who looked like he might be in my age group. The last mile starts out fairly level, then a slight downhill where you can see Lake Huron ahead. A turn is made onto the shoulder of the highway along the lake for about half a mile then a sharp turn into the park where we started and about a tenth of a mile to the finish. During the mid part of the last mile, I passed a young 20 something looking guy and got an encouraging word in passing. As I approached the final turn, I saw Josh who cheered me on and immediately followed it by a "go mom" so I knew Angie was coming up behind me and gaining. I kicked as much as I could and crossed the finish line just a step or two ahead of Angie. My final time was 41:15. I didn't know until I got home that I did get a 10 second PR and that my last approximate mile was at a 7:48 pace with the overall race at an 8:18 pace.

Less than half a minute after I finished, the guy I passed who looked like he might be in my age group finished and told me that trying to stay with me got him a real good finish time. I told him that hearing his footsteps behind me helped push me. While visiting with people while waiting for the awards, I asked Larry how his race went. He was happy that he'd out kicked Katie at the end. They've known each other for a long time, are both neat people, so I know they both probably enjoyed the challenge. I ended up 18/40 overall and 1/3 in my AG (60-64). I think the guy I passed was 2nd in my AG. He disappeared after the race and no one came forward to collect the 2nd place medal.

Larry was 2nd OA and Katie was the first female finisher. Terry and Angie were 1st and 2nd in their AG and some of my other friends did well, also. I appreciated the attitude of the guy who was 3rd in my AG, the only one in the 8K older than me, who congratulated me and indicated how that he was pleased to be able to be there and participate. For most of us, having a fast race and perhaps a PR are great, but being able to participate is what's really important.

TomS

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• millbot Legend 635 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Jul 15, 2007 5:26 PM (in response to tselbs)
    Re: Port Austin 8K

Hey tselbs, your race reports are such a pleasure to read.  Congratulations on the AG win and the PR.  You really earned this one!  You have a wonderful combination of competitiveness and modesty about your accomplishments.

• Canfit Legend 1,055 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Jul 15, 2007 5:32 PM (in response to tselbs)

Great race, Tom!  PR is PR and AG win is AG win... way to go!  Sounds like a neat little race.  Lots of friends around obviously makes it special.  Maybe you'll be a "legend" some day?
    PJ

• mcsolar99 Legend 1,014 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    3. Jul 15, 2007 5:48 PM (in response to tselbs)

nice race tselbs!  way to stay ahead of angie at the finish, and congrats on your 8k pr!

ps - i know that special fear when a spectator yells "go mom!" as you pass.. except i was on the losing end of it! 

• Sans Souci027 Legend 1,203 posts since
    Sep 9, 2005
    4. Jul 15, 2007 6:08 PM (in response to tselbs)

Tom, I like the part about blowing past -- oh, all right, okay.  You are too polite to use the phrase "blowing past," but, of course, I'm not  -- the 20-y-o.  Nice that he would encourage you.  Runners are good people.

Participating and having fun -- always Numero Uno.  But kinda nice to get a PR here and there along the way too.  Congratulations on the 1st place.

• tomwhite Legend 2,011 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Jul 15, 2007 7:07 PM (in response to tselbs)

.....Excellent Running tselbs//........you were Smokin'.........

• SMP Legend 1,297 posts since
    Sep 29, 2007
    6. Jul 16, 2007 7:07 AM (in response to tselbs)

Tom, your race reports are rock solid and always a joy to read. Well done on the AG. What's even better is your attitude towards the sport.

----

Never regret anything that made you smile, SteveP

My User Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• dshclio Legend 264 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    7. Jul 16, 2007 7:14 AM (in response to tselbs)

Great job Tom you keep pr-ing every race, we will have to get together at the Crim.  When we get closer to the race we will have to pick a time and place to meet up.  great job
    Run long run well Marathon Derrick

----

• Elaine3112 Legend 395 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Jul 16, 2007 8:17 AM (in response to tselbs)

Tom
    Such a pleasure to read your reports, but getting a PR and an AG win is a real bonus!  Well done.

• ksrunr Legend 1,292 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    9. Jul 16, 2007 10:03 AM (in response to tselbs)

Tom - Great report and race.  Congrats on an outstanding effort which brought a pr and hardware.  

ksrunr

• rochrunner Legend 974 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    10. Jul 16, 2007 10:07 AM (in response to tselbs)

Hmmm... Tom, was there anyone participating in the race that you didn't know? That's one thing about events in more of a small-town atmosphere: nice that there's always someone that you know and can run with or just shoot the breeze with.

By the way, did you know that my recent 8K PR was a 41:35? So we are really running close these days. I guess the Crim will tell all. !http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|src=http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/wink.gif|border=0!

And congratulations on that AG win! Did you remember to register as a member of the CoolRunning B&B Racing Team?

----

- Runnin' in Rochester

Rochrunner[/URL" target="_blank">

• John2635 Legend 504 posts since
    Oct 2, 2004
    11. Jul 16, 2007 3:28 PM (in response to tselbs)

congrats Tom on the new PR and AG win. very impressive. I really enjoy your reports and attitude as you're so upbeat and positive. Hopefully there's many more years of being able to participate.

John

• cajohnson5 Legend 567 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Jul 16, 2007 9:35 PM (in response to tselbs)

Tom, you are such a class act, it is difficult to find something equally classy to respond. But my favorite part was the exchange between you and the guy behind you. It is so gratifying to be able to encourage and support one another. Congratulations on a fine race and PR. cj

• MarkGuy051 Legend 542 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Jul 16, 2007 9:42 PM (in response to tselbs)

I'm with rochrunner -- did you know everyone there? Kidding aside I am sure most of these people look forward to you showing up. I know I am at the Crim. I'm happy that you won your AG and pulled off a PR.

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Jul 17, 2007 1:22 AM (in response to tselbs)

Nice going, Tom.

What better way to spend a weekend morning? It's sounds like that PR was just icing on the cake. You are so solid and consistent.

I really hope that you will include some photos on one of these times. This would have been a good one. I remember Port Austin. What a beautiful place.

Jim

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...