Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2021 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2012 1:17 PM by OshCat RSS
webslappy Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 14, 2012 11:41 AM

Can I run a half with with 1 'real' run per week?

Here's my situation:  I'm a creature of habit and I'm in a routine where I do 30 cardio & 30 min weights M-F at the gym.  In reality, I make it about 4 mornings a week due to work and family commitments.  At the gym, I mostly do eliptical as my cardio, but sometimes treadmill.  I would like to run a half later this year and plan on doing my long runs outside on Sat morning.  My question is: Can I train for a half within the parameters of my current fitness regime?  I can flex in the way I've got my cardio\weights split up and I assume I'll have to work in some rest days but can I build up to a half distance only running any significant lengths once per week? 

Thanks for any tips\feedback you can give.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Feb 14, 2012 11:49 AM (in response to webslappy)

Routine/the same old things is bad for you in any workout routine!!! (It's better than not doing one).  Running a half will required more running than it appears you are doing, my 1st full I only ran 4 days a week.  Find a plan and see if you can do it, I am sure you can.  Hal Higdon has some great free ones on line.

• OshCat Pro 179 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    2. Feb 14, 2012 1:17 PM (in response to webslappy)

I second the vote for following a training plan.  I'm using Hal Higdon't Novice Half plan; you'll probably have to give up the weights on some days in order to fit in your entire weekday training run, but the plan has only one long run per week.

2013:

New Year's Color Run (5k) - 01/01/13

Oshkosh Half-Marathon - 04/21/13

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...