Skip navigation

973 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 19, 2012 9:31 AM by HoopsGirl14 RSS
nbadream1234567890 Pro 118 posts since
Nov 29, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 18, 2012 3:42 PM

How can I score against zone defense?

In my last game the team that we played played zone the whole game. I really struggled shooting 2-8 and ended up with 6 points. Against non-zone teams I scored 21pts and went 8-10 from the field. How can I improve offense against zone?

• JoshM33 Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 5, 2012
    1. Feb 19, 2012 9:25 AM (in response to nbadream1234567890)

Team ball is the way to score against the zone. Find out what type of zone they are playing and where the weak spot in that zone is. Pumping the ball into this weak area causes the zone to collapse and with the correct positioning and cutting a team can dismantle it in a single pass. Overloading the zone on one side always helps having 4 on your strong side and 1 on the weak. These are the two basic principles of attacking the zone target the weak spot and outnumber the defender's on one side of the floor.

• HoopsGirl14 Amateur 19 posts since
    May 22, 2010
    2. Feb 19, 2012 9:31 AM (in response to nbadream1234567890)

The key thing to remember while playing a zone defense team is passing. If you pass quickily and accuratly, the zone defense may open up a bit. Also, depending on the zone defense, the low post(s) may be open at some points, especially if they are running back and fourth. Backddoor and setting picks/screens can be benefical too. Ask your coach to come up with so plays that are for zone defense, but tell him/her that you'd be willing to help him/her to learn more about beating a zone defense. Our team has one called traingle. If you want to know more on this play and some others- email me @ sportykw14@gmail.com. Ill draw them out and explain them to you or whatnot. Another note, if your team has practices maybe you can suggest to your coach about scrimmaging with a zone defense so you can get used to playing with a zone defense. HOPE THIS HELPS! PLAY STRONG!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...