Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8082 Views 49 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2009 3:13 PM by DJ Dave N Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • rochrunner Legend 974 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jul 27, 2007 2:03 PM (in response to marp)
    Re: Your first 5k

Probably like fred, my first was back before distances in kilometers were much heard of, so it was a 3-miler. To me that was a hugh deal and my only goal was to finish it. At the time, I thought it was really something if I could do 3 miles in under 30 minutes.

Considering that that was about 20 years ago and I could do it now in about 24 minutes, it shows me how far I've come.

• Legend 532 posts since
    Jul 15, 2006
    16. Jul 27, 2007 3:24 PM (in response to marp)

I remember it well.  It was 2.25 years ago, on a cool spring morning.  The only running gear I had was a pair of NB 766 shoes.  I went out too fast and was told later that I had made a "rookie mistake."  I was exhausted (can you tell?) but never thought I wouldn't finish (I did in 25:25).  I think my Livestrong wrist band broke soon after that.

--

<br />Fortunatea volleyballer with a running problem
    Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

• kameele Legend 499 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    17. Jul 27, 2007 3:36 PM (in response to marp)

Fortunate--is that your vapor trail behind you?

I did my first 5K just over a year ago after running for around 5 months. Fortunately I had been lurking here for a little and was able to avoid at least several newbie mistakes (lining up in front, wearing the race T, number on back, etc) that I could very easily see myself having done.

When I had started running, I had it in mind that I would have my time down to 23:00 by the time of this race.  I had just made 5K running the whole only a month before and finished in 27:35.  It's where fantasy meets reality    A year later, I still haven't seen that 23: yet, but if the legs cooperate, it might be there (I hope).

• DaveinAA035 Legend 742 posts since
    Dec 18, 2005
    18. Jul 27, 2007 3:36 PM (in response to marp)

There were few 5ks on the roads in the 70s when I started running, and our high-school cross-country distance then was 2.5 miles. I remember my first road race was a 10k, when I was 14. I finished in 40:30 after going out way too fast. The next day our small-town paper ran a photo of me that misidentified me as a cross-country teammate who was much faster than I was. I was embarrassed and he was teed.

First actual 5k was probably on the track in college. I usually ran the middle distances, 800m and 1500m, but thought I'd try it. 17:30-something, 12.5 laps of misery. I went back to the shorter races after that.

I still find 5k a very difficult distance to race; the product of (discomfort x time) is high.

marp, where in Michigan? Lots of us here.

----

DaveinAA[/URL" target="_blank">

• Better than yesterday Legend 767 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    19. Jul 28, 2007 7:02 AM (in response to marp)

Late to the party on this one.  My first road race was in 1998. 3.5 miles, and I wasn't trained for it - it was a Corproate Challenge run that my co-workers encouraged me to do with them.  I knew that if I could run a mile, I could walk and run 3.5.  OK, in the days preceding the run, it turned out that I could only run about 1/2 mile, but I figured I could still work through it, since my wife and I had been walking every night for a couple of months.

I finished in 38:59. I think I actually ran about 2 - 1/2 miles and walked a mile near the middle.

bty

• ericd256 Legend 442 posts since
    Nov 30, 2007
    20. Jul 28, 2007 10:41 AM (in response to marp)

I remember my first like it was just 3 months ago. Wait it was. I felt nervous the old dont want to finish last.Especially being a BIG runner.The Beauty of it is there are all these slow walkers .I still slogged as fast as a i  could. i  finished in 44.30 All that means is now i will have a  easier time setting a pr when i do it again next year.

• hermosaboy001 Legend 909 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    21. Jul 28, 2007 10:45 AM (in response to marp)

quote:

Originally posted by marp:

Howdy again,
    A question. Do you remember your first 5k?
    I'm wondering how your confidence level was....did you know you would finish or did ya think "gee...what am I doing?"

marp
    (struggling, but not giving up)

My first 5k was supposed to be a 10k.  It was 2 loop course and I bagged it after the first loop.  This was 16 years ago when I didn't run.  Thought I could just jump in and run with my neighbor -- bad idea...

• Jim24315 Legend 1,987 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    22. Jul 28, 2007 12:12 PM (in response to marp)

I remember mine well since it was the first time I ever ran sub-6 pace in a race. Time was 18:18 at the “Sprite Sprint” in Phoenix. I was 33 and had been running about 6 months with several 10k races leading up to it. My first race ever was a 10k, which got me hooked, but that first 5k was still very exciting.

• soot Pro 157 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    23. Jul 28, 2007 1:46 PM (in response to marp)

I registered for my first 5k on the day I ran 3 miles non-stop for the first time.  It took me over 30 min to run the 3 miles but I finished the race in just under 30 minutes.  I remember that I was nervous because I had never done anything athletic in my life and didn't know what to expect, but I was fairly confident that I would finish the race.

• Laura in Houston Amateur 28 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    25. Jul 28, 2007 11:44 PM (in response to marp)

I have no idea when my first 5K was.  I started running in the early 80's when I was in college, and 10Ks were the thing then.  I remember the first one of THOSE that I did.  My hope is to medal in my age group someday (am currently in the 45-49), but may have to outlive a bunch of old fart runners to be one of the fastest old farts!     But I will definitely remember that one if I ever do it!  I've been so middle to back of the pack as long as I've been running, but I would really like to take the time to train the right way now that my kids are getting old enough to be more self-sufficient and I have more time to do it.  Tomorrow I run the 3rd day of the 4th week of C25K.   A long way to go, but I'll get there.

-Laura

• Elaine3112 Legend 395 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    26. Jul 29, 2007 12:32 PM (in response to marp)

My first 5K was also my first race so I wasn't going to forget it.  It was at Birmingham University (UK) and I remember describing it as hilly which it wasn't but when you have only been running a few months the slightest undulation is a massive hill!  I did the distance in 29.42 and was well pleased to have gone under 30 mins.  What really touched me though was the fun run watching all the kids race.  This was also a first for me and it brought tears to my eyes watching the kids really go for it.

• RunstheBitterroot Legend 591 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    27. Jul 29, 2007 12:51 PM (in response to marp)

Hi Marp.  Good luck on your 5k, if you are doing 2 now, you shouldn't have any problems at all.  Larry

----

"If you see a man running up a mountain trail in Montana with a fly pole attached to his back, you are probably lost. LDD

• Zapatista Amateur 81 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    28. Jul 29, 2007 1:00 PM (in response to marp)

I ran my first 5K in the eighties after 15 races in my first year of racing, mostly 10Ks. I tended to go out fast in 10Ks that first year but I held nothing back in the 5k going out at close to 6 minute pace expecting to break 20 easily. The last 2 miles were very painful and I finished in 20:29.

• bbrodhead Rookie 8 posts since
    Jul 7, 2005
    29. Jul 31, 2007 1:11 PM (in response to marp)

It was 1971 in high school.  This was a time trial of 3 miles on our cinder track.  We knew we could run 2 miles in 10 minutes   so we were dumb enough to think we could run an extra mile at the same pace.  Well the other two ran 15:02  and I was proud of all the pain I endured on the last mile to run 15:09.   Why were the times so fast then?   We ran 100 mile weeks following Arthur Lydiards traing schedule.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...