Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

8081 Views 49 Replies Latest reply: Aug 8, 2009 3:13 PM by DJ Dave N Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • bbrodhead Rookie 8 posts since
    Jul 7, 2005
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Aug 30, 2007 5:06 PM (in response to marp)
    Re: Your first 5k

In the 5K the last mile really hurts.   In a 400 meter  the last 100 meter really hurts, but it is over so fast you can almost laugh.   It takes great discipline to keep pushing the last mile of a 5k.   The 5 D's  are dedication, discipline, devotion, determination and  ????

• Earlyanna Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 15, 2008
    31. Aug 13, 2008 2:41 PM (in response to marp)

Hi all! My first post...

My first 5K is tomorrow night (a twilight run.) A lot of chefs and restaurant folks are involved (I'm a chef) so I think it will be an easy crowd, laid back, all in it for fun. I've been running since March (after walking for months and feeling like I needed/wanted MORE.) Tomorrow nights run is a benefit for Toys for Tots and the local food pantry. I've been following different training plans from various sites, picking and choosing which fit me and my schedule and  I do three 3.5, one 4.7 and one 5.5 mile runs per week. (The distance is such because of the routes I have..I know they seem odd!)

I've never been athletic nor involved in any sport and every day that I make that first step it crosses my mind that my ability to do the distance the day before was a fluke! I'm nervous and excited and can't wait! I haven't actually timed any of my runs (I want to build up my endurance and have consistent weeks and then I'll look at my time) so I really don't know quite what to expect time wise...we'll see!

• Gatorgal90 Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 25, 2008
    32. Aug 30, 2008 6:41 AM (in response to marp)

Well, I have not run my first 5K yet.  I plan to do so in October and I can hardly wait.  I have been following the C25K training program and I think I will be more than ready for the 5K by then.  Just to be sure, I signed up for a 2K fun run that takes place in a few weeks.  I figured that would give me some confidence so I won't be as nervous trying my first 5K. 

• mary s. carroll Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 9, 2008
    33. Mar 21, 2009 2:24 PM (in response to marp)

I entered my first 5K on my 62nd birthday and ran the race a week later.   I remember it vividly.  I was so proud of myself.  Then I saw a woman about my age with two prosthetic arms, running ahead of me.  Made me proud to be a  baby bommer.  I knew I would finish, as I'd been running that distance for a couple of months before the race.  There were almost 1,000 people in the race.  I was instantly addicted to racing.

• RICH48 Pro 106 posts since
    Oct 18, 2007
    34. Mar 28, 2009 2:00 PM (in response to marp)

I was 59, never ran before. I saw an advertisement for the benefit of a Christian Camp I was familar with. Their website linked to a 9-week

"Couch to 5k" schedule and it was exactly 9 weeks till the 5k.  I was probably next to the slowest runner,  but I ran the whole thing

and will never forget the feeling of accomplishment. I quess there is nothing like the 1st one - of course I have been hooked since.

• Imgellin Legend 512 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    35. Apr 6, 2009 12:04 PM (in response to marp)

I remember my first 5K as though it was last July! Oops.., wait a minute....:8}

• LittleCaryn Rookie 23 posts since
    Apr 9, 2009
    36. Apr 9, 2009 11:10 AM (in response to marp)

My first 5K was two weeks ago (Cincinnati Heart Mini-Marathon/5K), and I'm so excited that I finished!  Not first in my age group, but not last, either.  I'm working now to improve speed and endurance.  My second 5K, whenever it is, will be even better than the first!

52 Years old; getting younger with every step! Cincinnati Heart Mini-Heart 5K, 03/29/09 - 41.31

Starting Weight - 214; Current Weight - 187; Goal Weight - 172

• Imgellin Legend 512 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    37. Apr 9, 2009 12:17 PM (in response to LittleCaryn)

Congratulations, Karyn! Your second one will be a whole lot easier, too!

Paul

• joeyverville Amateur 61 posts since
    Aug 31, 2006
    38. Apr 28, 2009 8:32 PM (in response to marp)

Hi Marp,

My fist 5K was in May 2006 and was the first time I ever ran outdoors.  I was scared to death!!  Didn't know what to expect, wasn't sure about the sign-in process, timing chip, bib.  I absolutely thought I must be out of my mind.  The whole experience was so positive and I felt so proud of myself after.  Parents of a young child with Down Syndrome Association sponsored the triathlon and I did only the 5K run.  It is the only race that I don't miss yearly now and vow to keep that one up.  I've done some other 5Ks since that very first but as many others have said, you don't forget that very first oneI was 50 years old.  This Saturday I'll be doing my first 10K.  I'm not a speed demon as you can tell from getting from 5 to 10Ktook me 3 years!B-)

You're right not to give up.  Not only will you be proud of yourself (and will continue to be proud of yourself) but we'll be proud of you, too.

Joey

• SilverFoxRuns Amateur 10 posts since
    Jul 2, 2009
    39. Jul 25, 2009 10:26 PM (in response to mrpat007)

Hi

I just read your response to "your first 5k".  I am 57 and have never been a runner.  I'm in week 5 of C25k and feeling it.  I am 30  lbs overweight, maybe 40 for an athelete. and at 5'4" with small bones, that's a lot.

I am inspired that your first was at this age.  And such a fast time for a first time?  Any advice?  My entire goal is to train and do this without injury.

Thanks for posting.

• galerunz1 Amateur 12 posts since
    Mar 11, 2008
    40. Jul 26, 2009 7:54 AM (in response to SilverFoxRuns)

Ahhhhhh..... I remember it well. I was battling breast cancer and had never run a step in my life. I was 44. I was doing a 5K walk and met a guy that was volunteering as a timer. We got to talking and he said I should try running. Turns out he is a great runner and qualifies for Boston every year (we are still friends). Two weeks later I signed up for a 5K and ran without ever even training, It darned near killed me as I thought you had to run the entire distance, I thought you would be disqualified if you walked. I did walk a little towards the end out of total necessity. I collapsed on the curb aftwerwards and thought I could never do that again. I think I finished in like 32-3 ish. When I realized that you could actually walk and still get the race experience, I was hooked. I started running 2 minutes and walking 2 minutes. I'd do races that way! One day I just kept running and I never did the walk-run thing again. There weren't many runners 7 years ago and rarely walkers. I would finish dead last a lot (I would have surgery and be out the next week)!! Funny thing was, because of the lack of people running, I would get age group trophies all the time!!

That was hundereds of 5Ks later and 35 HMs. Now I am trying duathlons and adventure races. I am contemplating a 50K trail run this October. Not bad for a 50 year old breast cancer survivor!! 

Runners ROCK!!

• SumoRunner Expert 36 posts since
    Aug 15, 2005
    41. Jul 26, 2009 10:04 AM (in response to marp)

No, I didn't recall my first 5K. I had to look it up in my records. It was a rather humdrum event. My first race was a 10K in 1978 which I do remember very well. The second was 15K, a race I've done 25 times since.  I didn't run a 5K until about 2 years later. 30 years ago 5Ks were not as ubiquitous. They were considered a bit wimpy. Road races weren't just longer but tougher too. No race director would have dared advertise the course as flat or fast. They had to be tests of machismo. Women comprised only about 10% of runners at that time and the majority were boomer guys trying to prove they weren't getting old yet. Still are...

• crl8686 Legend 1,307 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    42. Jul 29, 2009 9:24 PM (in response to marp)

My first 5K was in 1986, at age 30, in the San Francisco Bay Area, specifically in the Palo Alto baylands. I'd been running for about 3 years for fun and for fitness, but it had never previously occurred to me to enter a race. I was consistently doing about 8.5 to 9 min/mi, and thought that races were only for really fast people. However, a couple of friends assured me that I'd finish in the middle of the pack, certainly not dead last. So I entered the Bay to Breakfast 5K, which was sponsored by a local restaurant chain (hence the name). One motivating factor, in addition to a pretty course through the baylands, was the finish line treat - the restaurant was providing blueberry coffeecake. I knew I would finish since I'd done 5K distances so many times in training. I treated the race like just another training run, since I didn't know any better. I instinctively lined up in the middle of the field and finished right about there, in just under 28 min as I recall. And the coffeecake was great.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Claremont Sunrise Rotary Turkey Trot, Claremont, CA, 24:23

@ 10K: Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

LA Cancer Challenge, West Los Angeles, CA, 50:25

• Joricka Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 17, 2009
    43. Jul 30, 2009 6:59 AM (in response to marp)

I remember mine it was the turkey trot  in 2006. This was after I had just lost over 100 lbs. I got up saw it on the TV news and drove right over to run in it. Over a 1000 people it was so exciting, and yes I run as fast as I could right out of the gate. 1/2 way through 2 seventy plus gentlemen passed me and they were having a conversation with each other, I could barely breath. I did finish the race in 38 minutes. Now 2009 I'm running a 1/2 marathon in November. Running became so addicting for me that my wife has now joined me and we love training together.

• Timbonole Amateur 24 posts since
    Apr 10, 2009
    44. Aug 2, 2009 6:54 AM (in response to bbrodhead)

I was only about 6 weeks away from my first marathon when I ran my first 5K. It was about a year and a half ago. I finished at about 27.5, which gives you some indication of how the marathon turned out (5 hours-plus).   But yeah, I was nervous, because a lot of the people in the 5K knew I was training for a marathon and I didn't want to embarrass myself. As it was, even with that slow time, I was second in my age group. I've only run a couple more since then, but in each of them I improved my time by about 30 seconds. Almost to the point where I can hang with my 15 year-old stepson.  Almost.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...