Skip navigation

2416 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2012 2:32 PM by captgravity RSS
activetrimom Rookie 2 posts since
Feb 24, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 24, 2012 11:00 AM

Help with shifters

Trying to get advice on converting the shifters on my daughters Felt 24 bike.  She is still unable to reach the to shift where they are now.  I know I have seen kids racing bikes with the shifters moved up to the middle of the handle bars so they are easily within reach.  Can anyone suggest a website or brand that would be good to use?  Any advice is appreciated!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us..

• Stevenstevenson6346 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 12, 2011
    1. Mar 14, 2012 11:23 AM (in response to activetrimom)
    Help with shifters

Hi,  I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish.  SRAM STI shifters have a reach adjustment to bring the levers closer to the bars requiring less of a reach for the fingers.  However, since the Felt 24 is Shimano, at least the rear derailluer would have to be changed to SRAM as well, as more shifter cable is pulled with SRAM than Shimano. 

• captgravity Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 12, 2008
    2. Mar 28, 2012 2:32 PM (in response to activetrimom)
    Help with shifters

I have to repeat the comment from Stevestevenson6346 - not sure what you are tyrying to accomplish.

A person with normal flexibility has enough reach to put her hands around the brake-shifters

on a properly sized frame. If the top tube is too long or the handlebars are too wide, it's a lot

tougher. I know a lot about that since I have short arms and a short body.

The Felt 24 road bike is made for smaller riders, but is your daughter really big enough for the bike she is on?

Has she been fitted for a frame and handlebars at a shop that has experience with smaller riders?

What kind of shifters are installed on your daughter's bike? The stock Shimano STI levers? If so, those are

usually a good compromise for a younger rider but they are not well suited for small hands.

Regarding shifters in the middle of the handlebars - are you perhaps describing kids riding triathlon bicycles

with bar-con type shifters at the ends of the aero bars?

A little more information could get you a more useful answer.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points