Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1200 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2012 5:24 AM by VeggieChick81
VeggieChick81 Pro 130 posts since
Jan 28, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 26, 2012 5:24 AM

wk 7 of training, still not signed up, help!

Hi!

It's been a while since I have been to the boards...I am hoping a marathoner can help me, as I am getting down to the wire with my decision making.

I have been running for 3 years, in between two pregnancies, with one half marathon under my belt that was finished in 1:56 (2009)

My next half marathon is in two weeks, but I have been using Hal Higdons full marathon novice 2 plan to train with. I have secretly had my eye on Vermont City but I am afraid I don't have the years or miles behind me to confidently sign up. But with that being said, I have finished 6 weeks of training. Yesterday's run was 12.6 miles full of hills and headwinds of 30-40 mph so I am hoping that is why I was so disgustingly exhausted at the end.

So, here are my two questions that I REALLY need your advice with.

1) my half marathon falls in week 8 of the training program. Hal has it in week 9. That means I am cutting down my long run by a mile that week. Is this ok

2) at what point to a bite the bullet to sign up for Vermont ( May 28) or chose a fall marathon and keep this base mileage of 25 miles a week for the spring and summer?

Thank you so much for any help and insight! I don't have many running friends, never mind marathon running friends to ask!

Linda

"If you don't run you rust" - Tom Petty

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points