Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

740 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2012 5:56 AM by VeggieChick81 RSS
VeggieChick81 Pro 130 posts since
Jan 28, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 27, 2012 6:31 AM

Taper HM week and full marathon questions

Hi!

I have a couple questions about training for a half and full marathon. I posted something similar in the training forum but haven't gotten a response yet..so hoping to get help here :)

My HM is just under 3 weeks away. When I signed up, I realized the HM falls conveniently 10 weeks before the Vermont City Marathon (I've never ran a full, but it's on the bucket list)...so instead of following a half marathon training program, I secretly started training with Hal Higdons novice 2 full marathon to see if I could keep up. I am in week 7 of training but still haven't signed up for the marathon because I'm scared!! So here are my questions....

1) do I taper the week of the half marathon or keep following the training program (4 mile,7 mile & 4 mile the wk of HM with a long run of 14 miles the Saturday before)

2) the long run that week of my HM should be 15 miles... Is racing 13.1 sufficient or do I switch my weeks

3) after what week of marathon training do first timers usually bite the bullet and sign up with confidence? I've been running for 3 years in between two pregnancies...I've completed many 10ks and this upcoming HM will be my 2nd. First was in October 09 finishing in 1:56

"If you don't run you rust" - Tom Petty

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    1. Feb 27, 2012 6:55 AM (in response to VeggieChick81)

If you want to run the Marathon forget about the taper for the HM and make the week just part of the training for the marathon.

You say the week of the training plan calls for a 15 mile -- the 13 of the half should be fine. Just make sure you get the next long run in.

Also, I would not race the HM. It is certainly alright to boost the tempo but do not race. If you race this would require some down time, and you do not want that in the middle of marathon training plan.

• danhouse1 Amateur 7 posts since
    Jan 16, 2012
    2. Feb 27, 2012 7:03 AM (in response to VeggieChick81)

1. Do I taper the week of the HM

It depends on you condition. If you routinely run the HM distance on weekends, and don't need a extra time off or need slow recovery runs, then running long shouldn't be a problem. I routinely run beyond +10 mile on Sundays, ran 14 this past Sunday, and have a HM next weekend. In other words if your body routinely doesn't taper, then it probably isn't a requirement for a HM. I would be careful to make sure you are rested. Running easy for 3 days during the week shouldn't be a problem. Make sure your legs are fresh for the HM. If you feel tired during the week, take extra days off.

2. Is racing 13.1 sufficient

I don't see much difference in the distances. The issue is having to recover from the half. Only you can determine your own condition.

3. When to sign up for a Marathon.

The Higdon novice 2 doesn't have enough miles in it for me. It's designed to finish. I personally would want twice the mileage. But if you just run an easy pace, you should finish.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Feb 27, 2012 7:45 AM (in response to VeggieChick81)

I agree with skypilot, I would add a mile warm up at the start of your half.  Run it somewhat hard but not race it.  Hal Higdon plans are great, for your 1st you don't need to worry about a time just to finish!  Scared is normal, I still am scared and I have run 8 in the last three years.  Good luck, just hit go!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points