Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2574 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 13, 2012 9:04 AM by kris0511 RSS
jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
Aug 19, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 29, 2012 8:22 PM

Shoulder pain during longer runs???

I'm just wondering if anyone gets this burning pain in between the shoulder baldes when they run for any length of time. I used to work just about all day with my arms at 90 degrees at my elbows, much like at a computer. I developed pain in between my shoulder blades after a while each day, and was taking ibuprofen at least once a day. I stopped that particular job a few years ago, but now that I'm running a lot, the pain has resurfaced, and comes on after about 25 or 30 minutes of running with my arms bent at 90 degrees.

When I'm done my workouts, the pain goes away fairly quickly, as long as I keep my arms down in some different position. If I take a couple IB before the workout, the pain is a lot less severe. If I do experience it, I usually stretch my arms and let them hang down at my sides while running, and shake them a few times.

It can be a very numbing, burning feeling in the shoulders, and can be very uncomfortable during a long run.  I do have 2 degenerative discs (C4 and C5) in my back, but I don't know if that is causing the pain.

Anyone with similar issues? Ideas?

• ldubb85 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 10, 2010
    1. Mar 12, 2012 7:12 AM (in response to jmsab23)

Im not sure if your pain is the same as mine, but I do have some issues in my back/shoulders with long runs as well. Its more of a tightness feeling in my traps. I do occasionaly weight training, but I have taken note that the pain does not follow a weight training session - always after long runs. I don't have any issues with my discs otherwise, nor any tightness/soreness in my shoulders otherwise. Is it my running form that could be causing this? Not a serious issue now but don't want it to turn into a serious issue later! Anyone else find similar symptoms??

Thanks!

• kris0511 Amateur 20 posts since
    Mar 10, 2012
    2. Mar 13, 2012 9:04 AM (in response to jmsab23)

I just finished my first 15K and I got burning shoulder pain about mile 4. A fellow runner told me to pick up a rock and squeeze it throughout the run when I felt a pain, or side stiches. I thought, "Sounds crazy, but anything is worth a try right now" I found a rock, and after a few squeezes and some slow deep breaths, it was gone. My rock and I crossed the finish line together, and from now on I will make sure my rock is with me on long runs! I have no prior history of torn rotator cuff, or disk problems, just longer runs I start getting pains in my shoulders and back. Running doesn't just affect your legs, it affects your total body. I hope this helps, and I am by no means an advanced runner, but maybe this will help. Good luck

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points