Skip navigation

1076 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2012 7:27 AM by CoachPaulR RSS
chriso3 Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 3, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 3, 2012 11:33 AM

AAU or a few basketball camps??

My dad has given me an option of playing AAU or ging to 2 or 3 basketball camps. (including the carolina basketball camp). I have played AAU for 2 years but both years i didnt get very much playing time. I feel like i will get some playing time this year but what do you think i should do... AAU or the basketball camps????????

• RJHSBASKETBALL Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 3, 2012
    1. Mar 3, 2012 8:10 PM (in response to chriso3)

I think that you should do the basketball camps for several reasons. 1) If you don't get much playing time, there's probably a reason why. At the basketball camps, you have the opportunity to learn drills that if practiced on, will make you a better player. 2) The purpose of AAU is getting recruited, but you said you didn't get much playing time. Thusfore, is you're not playing in front of scouts, then they won't notice you, so your money is getting wasted. 3) AAU is very time consuming and focuses on the team in whole, not individual success. So, you could sit out this year and work on your skills to get better, and if you do, I'm 100% sure you will come into next season a much better player, and your coaches will fall in love with your dedication towards basketball and you will get playing time. Hope this helped

"GOD'S NOT DEAD"- NEWSBOYS

Phillipians 4:13

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

• CoachPaulR Amateur 8 posts since
    Oct 31, 2011
    2. Mar 7, 2012 7:27 AM (in response to chriso3)

I am having a similar decision to make with my son.  We are leaning towards camps instead of AAU this year.  I coached his YMCA team so I will also be able to work with him in our driveway or at the Y.  He recently went to a camp at Medaille College and thought it was a great learning experience.  Also remember it is good to take a break from organized sports and focus on your individual skills.  You can find individual drills online that you can do to improve your fundamentals and attend camps to prepare yourself for next seaon. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points