Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1202 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2012 8:19 PM by AE513 RSS
AE513 Rookie 6 posts since
Feb 5, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 5, 2012 10:20 AM

Survey for runners

Hello runners,

I am a sport management researcher at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis and I’m a runner as well. I am conducting a research study to examine runners’ attitudes towards women-only road races, as well as to measure the motivations and commitment of runners.You do NOT have to have any experience with women-only road races to participate in this survey! The only requirement to complete the survey is that you are at least 18 years of age. The results from this research will bepresented at an academic sport marketing conference in the fall of 2012, andwill be published in a peer-reviewed journal sometime in late 2012 or early 2013. I will certainly share the results with the members of this Cool Running/Active.com forum once they are available.

If you would like to participate in this research study, please complete the following survey, which will take about 10 minutes of your time: https://iupuipet.us2.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_6kYfsL0xrD2DfuI

Thank you for your assistance, and please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions!

Andrea

• Sharly Q Pro 92 posts since
    Mar 15, 2011
    1. Mar 5, 2012 11:23 AM (in response to AE513)
    Survey for runners

Hi! I'm a new runner, but I responded. I hope you get a lot of responses. Good luck!

Sharly

• Completed C25K April 2012
    • 51 year old female, who spent most of my adult life obese - now 65 lbs. lighter and looking for new activities

• Will participate in any event that has a finisher's medal - I'm in it for the bling!
    • Currently following a weight training program, Jamie Eason's LiveFit through bodybuilding.com
    • Goal: Return to running in a few weeks stronger and better, then focus on increasing speed
    • Currently sidelined by health concern - no strenuous activity until speicalist visit June 14th
  • 4Brad Amateur 10 posts since
    May 15, 2010
    3. Mar 5, 2012 12:34 PM (in response to AE513)
    Survey for runners

Hi Andrea,,,,I just completed your survey, it didn't take long at all...good luck with your results.

Sporting Life Toronto 10K May 3, 2009 1:11:15

Sporting Life Toronto 10K May 2, 2010 1:08:16

Toronto Half Marathon Oct 17,2010 2:23:08

Toronto Half Marathon May 15,2011 2.08.59 PB

Ottawa Army Run HM Sept 18,2011 2:09:35

Upcoming Toronto HM May 6,2012

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    4. Mar 5, 2012 12:45 PM (in response to AE513)
    Survey for runners

Interesting survey....I hope others will take a few minutes to answer the questions.  Thank you for posting the opportunity (some of the questions caused reflection about  motivations and supporting environments, which is always important). 

I have never done a all female event, but would certainly consider it in the future. 

Glad this research is underway and thank you again!

• ydiez Pro 118 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    6. Mar 6, 2012 8:09 AM (in response to AE513)
    Survey for runners

Hi AE513,

I took your survey as I am a researcher too and know that it is not always easy to get people to participate. Just one minor comment, I am a man, I took the survey because I understood you also welcome answers by men even the subject is women-only races. There is a part which is difficult to answer for a man, the one dealing with the feelings and expectations when participating in women-only races. I think you might want to instruct men not to answer this part or provide some guidelines on how to understand the questions. I personally decided to mark the "neither agree to disagree column".

Hope this helps and good luck with your study and presentation.

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

• jmsab23 Legend 243 posts since
    Aug 19, 2011
    7. Mar 6, 2012 7:27 PM (in response to AE513)
    Survey for runners

AE, I also am a male and found the questions ydiez referred to as innapropriate for my gender. I also answered Neither agree nor disagree. Maybe a N/A column would have been more appropriate.

Good luck with the project.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...