Skip navigation

1629 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2012 4:25 PM by Mike_CVUA RSS
einrehcaoc Rookie 3 posts since
Jul 24, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 6, 2012 12:06 PM

Any input on the Upcoming Dropped Third Strike Rule

I would like to know everyone's thoughts on the New Dropped Third strike rule? Is it going to out as quick as it has been introduced. Seems there will be lots of controversy over this one. Your Thoughts please. And can anyone explain this rule better than this link.http://www.coaching-youth-baseball.com/article-40--0-0.html

• Kyle_ Legend 556 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Mar 6, 2012 3:13 PM (in response to einrehcaoc)

Not a big deal. We started our season last Saturday, and the kids had figured it out, for the most part. Good coaches/teachers won't have a problem with it. Others will struggle and complain.

As an umpire who's done lots of big diamond stuff, it was a non-issue for me.

• CoachTurnkey Amateur 12 posts since
    Mar 5, 2010
    2. Mar 6, 2012 3:45 PM (in response to Kyle_)

I see 3 scenarios.

Less than two outs and first base occupied batter out, baserunners run at own risk

2 outs and first base occupied batter is runner Ball is live no matter how many runners.

2 outs and first base NOT occupied- batter is runner.

Dumb question or not:  Less than 2 outs and 1st base NOT occupied, Is ball live also? Is batter runner now or not.

• Mike_CVUA Legend 592 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    3. Mar 6, 2012 4:22 PM (in response to einrehcaoc)

If your experience is strictly 60' diamond, then watch out for the following:

Sitch:  Less than 2 out.  R1 (or others).

U3K.  You will hear the following:  "Run, Johnny run!"  R1 takes a nap but starts to run.  The throw down gets him 10' from 2B.  You then annouce that's a double play!  Because B2 is out (with 1B occupied!)  (And it's possible that one or more adults will be told to leave the field.......)

So here's a tip:  When this happens, the PU should signal and say, "The batter is out!"  The ump has just complied with the rules, and he has given everybody a chance to understand what he said, and then the subsequent play is what it is!

I saw this a lot in Juniors--used to be the first year the U3K was in play.  Saw a lot of easy 2-4 double plays too!

Mike CVUA

• Mike_CVUA Legend 592 posts since
    May 25, 2007

Coach:

If 1B is unoccupied with less than 2 outs (or for that matter WITH 2 outs), the ball is live and the batter may attempt to reach 1B on an uncaught 3rd strike.

Regardless of how many runners there are and whatever the situation is, the BALL IS ALWAYS LIVE!  It's live until the ump says "Time!" or "Foul!"

NEVER assume that the ball is dead until you hear either of those words!

Mike CVUA

• mackman Pro 83 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    5. Mar 6, 2012 5:20 PM (in response to Mike_CVUA)

But its really important for the umpire to realize this is NOT a force play!  I see this a lot too, but 9 times out of 10, the second baseman (or shortstop) doesn't go for the tag, thinking its a force play.  Since the batter is out immediately, they have to tag the runner.

• mackman Pro 83 posts since
    May 25, 2007

Batter is now a runner.  Ball is always live (well, assuming something else didn't happen to make the ball dead) on strike three, dropped or not. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...