Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1226 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2012 9:24 AM by Mark_S
JoeG_87 Amateur 17 posts since
May 25, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 7, 2012 6:08 AM

Penalty for illegal bat

LL rules for the juniors/seniors:  if the defense appeals properly and chooses to accept the penalty, the batter is out, but does anything happen to the runners?  In other codes, the runners also return to TOP base, but I do not see that in the LL rules.  Am I missing something?  Thanks

JoeG

• Kyle_ Legend 556 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Mar 7, 2012 7:16 AM (in response to JoeG_87)
    Penalty for illegal bat

Yeah, the runners are going back to their position just before the last action by the BR.

I had that this past weekend, where a BR walked to load the bases, and was THEN called out for an illegal bat. The runners go back. (even though the kid never even swung the dang thing, he's out).

• Mike_CVUA Legend 593 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. Mar 7, 2012 1:47 PM (in response to Kyle_)
    Penalty for illegal bat

Kyle:

What was the matter with the bat?  Let me guess!  He had his Travel Squad bat (2-3/4"). 

BTW, all the batter has to do is step in with an illegal bat.

Can you, the umpire, rule the batter out right away?  Or must it be appealed by the DM? 

Mike CVUA

• Mark_S Pro 70 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    3. Mar 10, 2012 9:25 AM (in response to Mike_CVUA)
    Re: Penalty for illegal bat

JoeG:

To reinforce Kyle's response, from the LLRIM:

Once a player completes a time at bat and then it is discovered that he/she had used an illegal bat and the manager opts to take the penalty,

all action resulting from the batter using the illegal bat is nullified; any runner/s must return to their Time of Pitch base; the batter is called out;

the bat is removed from the game and the offensive team will lose one eligible adult base coach for the duration of the game.

Mike

Can you, the umpire, rule the batter out right away? Or must it be appealed by the DM?

Yes, the umpire can call the batter out, but shame on him for letting the child step into the box with a bat he knows is illegal.

• Kyle_ Legend 556 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    4. Mar 7, 2012 3:55 PM (in response to Mike_CVUA)

It was a red Stealth that looked like a legal one on the list, and had model number close to another one.

Naw, a big barrel isn't going to make it's first swing at the plate.

Now, here's the question:

You see a big barrel bat in the rack, or better still, a player walking toward the box with it. Do you stop them, or let them enter the box first, THEN call them out? Does it make a difference if the manager has been giving you a little lip during the game?

• Mason_Dixon_Blue Legend 250 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    5. Mar 7, 2012 8:47 PM (in response to Kyle_)

Kyle_ wrote:

Now, here's the question:

You see a big barrel bat in the rack, or better still, a player walking toward the box with it. Do you stop them, or let them enter the box first, THEN call them out? Does it make a difference if the manager has been giving you a little lip during the game?

If I see a big barrel bat in the rack, I'll remove it immediately.  I always inspect the bats before the game, so if one comes to the plate, someone is trying to sneak it in on me.  I won't stop him.  Once he steps into the box, I'll call time and ask to see the bat.  Then penalize as needed.

• Mark_S Pro 70 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    6. Mar 10, 2012 9:24 AM (in response to Mason_Dixon_Blue)

Maybe I'm a softy, but if I saw a player walking to the plate with a known illegal bat (big barrel or otherwise) I am not going to let him step in the box.

Now if it is the same team with the same bat that I threw out last week, I may have a different sightline as he walks up.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...