Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

888 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2012 8:52 AM by BOSNPM
LMWEL Pro 82 posts since
Aug 27, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 9, 2012 4:22 PM

Help! I'm seriously concerned.

Happy Friday everyone.  I need your help.  I did my last pre marathon long run yesterday and it was, to put it mildly, not confidence inspiring.  I believe there were two issues but I'd appreciate your opinions and advice. 

I ate well the previous day, beef , chicken, veggies, and plenty of rice.  An hour and a half before my run I had my typical breakfast, a Harvest Energy Powerbar and a banana as well as two cups of coffee and about 20oz of Gatorade.  I set up Gatorade stops at miles 9 and 16.  I had a gel before I started and carried two 4+oz bottles of water.

I started out a little fast at about a 9:15 pace but slowed to my target pace of 9:30+ by mile 5 or so.  I felt fantastic!  I remember laughing and saying to myself at about mile eight " The miles are just rolling out behind me ".  The Gatorade stop at mile 9 was right on time as I had just finished my water.  I drank, refilled, stretched for a moment and was off. I felt good. Four miles later however...not as good.  The weather was sunny and mid 60s but I felt as if I was overheating, not that I was hot, but energy sapped like I was running on a hot day.  I ate a gel and stretched for a minute and I was off again.  I never got my groove back after that.  Even after an extended Gatorade break( 2.5min )at mile 16, I still felt spent. I forced myself to run the last mile nonstop and discovered my legs felt OK, so the problem must lie elsewhere.

I just uploaded the Garmin details and my heartrate coinsides with my feelings of exaustion, surprise surprise, about 8-10 beats higher on average.

So it seems to me the problems are nutrition and pacing.  I don't believe I ate nearly enough before the run.  The early pacing issues may have had an effect but I got it under control quickly and ordinarily wouldn't have fallen off nearly as much. 

I don't know if it even needs saying but I didn't feel better, post run, until I was able to eat a good lunch.

I am beyond nervous about this race.  Thoughts??

Thanks, Marc 

The Monster Dash 5k . Halloween day - 26:08

The Ridgewood Turkey Trot 8k . Thanksgiving day - 41:57

The Jolly Elf 5k Trail Run . Dec 11 - 26:09

The Tobacco Road Half Marathon . March 20, 2011- 1:53.13

The Triangle Orthopedic Sprint Triathlon . April 23, 2011- 1:21.53 / 5k- 25:48

The White Lake International Triathlon . Sept 10, 2011- 2:59.45 / 10k- 56:27

The Washington Half Iron Triathlon . Oct 29, 2011- 5:49.44 / 13.1mi- 2:09.23

The Tobacco Road Marathon . March 18, 2012- 4:37.56

Currently Training For -

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    1. Mar 9, 2012 4:34 PM (in response to LMWEL)

If you were running your last long run then your are at the end of a tiring period.

There are days when we beat the road, and days when the road beats us. You had the latter. It happens.

I read your story and I do not read anything to be concerned about -- nutrition or pacing. You may want to go out slower. But you know your pacing better.

I suggest you trust your training. Taper well and re-charge the body. Then go out and run a good race.

• Runningcolorado Expert 50 posts since
    Mar 4, 2009
    2. Mar 9, 2012 7:48 PM (in response to LMWEL)

Marc, I agree with skypilot77. I've had this happen to me more often than I care for. Your nutrition, hydration and pacing don't seem to be the problem.   You may have felt better after lunch b/c you were rested and recovering from your run.

The increased heart rate is a good indication that you may be overtraining a bit.  Please consider giving yourself an extra day or two off during your taper period.  At this point you will not lose any conditioning.

Best of luck to you.  You are doing just fine.

Live, love, run

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Mar 10, 2012 8:52 AM (in response to Runningcolorado)

I agree 100% with both, take a extra day of rest.  You are fine!!!!  Good luck

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...