Skip navigation

3515 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2012 5:34 PM by Mike_CVUA RSS 1 2 Previous Next
bigdaddy52733 Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 10, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 10, 2012 3:03 PM

is there a dropped strike 3 in the majors division this year 9 to 12 yr olds

i went to a district meating last week and the da for my area said that we were doin a dropped strike 3 in the majors this year that we didnt have to do it but they were doin it in the tournements this year. is this true????

• Mark_in_SD Legend 207 posts since
    May 25, 2007
  • Mark_S Pro 70 posts since
    May 25, 2007

A local league can opt out of it for the regular season for Majors.

Although personally I wouldn't recommend that.

If you are going to opt out it should be documented in your Local Rules.

It is not in use for Minors.

It is mandatory for Little League (11-12) and 10-11 Tournaments.

• NELL_blue Legend 303 posts since
    May 21, 2010

609(b) Little League (Majors)/Junior/Senior/Big League – Baseball/Softball

(1) a third strike is legally caught by the catcher;

(2) a third strike is not caught by the catcher when first base is occupied before two are out.

Minor League and Tee Ball: A third strike is caught or not caught by the catcher.

Option: A local league may elect to apply the Minor and Tee Ball rule for the Little League (Major Division) for the regular season.

My home league decided that instituting it gradually was the way to go for this year, so the first 6-8 games are teaching methodology time!

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007

Would also strongly suggest interested parties should become familiar with LL Rule 6.09(b)--page 79, 2012 Baseball Rulebook.

{Page 77, 2012  LL Softball Rulebook}

Frank!

• BlueBeak Legend 300 posts since
    Nov 26, 2002

My home league decided that instituting it gradually was the way to go for this year, so the first 6-8 games are teaching methodology time!

Not a fan of this decision (the 1st part of your sentence). Certainly the teaching part should be ongoing/continuous.

We will hold an on field clinic for all in Majors, practicing execution. Then when the season starts (we are still 4 weeks away), then JUMP IN, the waters fine. Repetition and familiarity will make them more cognizant and able much quicker, IMO.

Time wounds all heels.....

May 21, 2010

Wasn't my choice, the vote on the board was 12 to 7 to delay until our round robin time period. 

It follows their pattern of having Minor A teams not allowed to steal home until the Round Robin time also!

It is my hope, and I spoke clearly about it, that it makes for having better catchers in front of me!! 

• Shades_of_Blue Amateur 23 posts since
    May 7, 2009

While rules 605(b) and 609(b) do pick up the Uncaught Third Strike Rule it seems WP forgot to add it into Rule 7.13 (Runner Leaving Early).

While it may be obvious to many seasoned umpires and coaches, I fear there will much confusion with the omission of this play in the 7.13 examples section.

I am training to treat this play as you would a bunt/infield hit.  I

- If BR put out at first, place the runners back.

- If the BR reaches safely all advance one and only one (as any other base reached by BR would have to be by error). 

- Bases Loaded 'Poof Rule' appplies (7.15 example 15).

Has anyone heard different?

May 21, 2010

I

Shades_of_Blue wrote:

While rules 605(b) and 609(b) do pick up the Uncaught Third Strike Rule it seems WP forgot to add it into Rule 7.13 (Runner Leaving Early).

While it may be obvious to many seasoned umpires and coaches, I fear there will much confusion with the omission of this play in the 7.13 examples section.

I am training to treat this play as you would a bunt/infield hit.  I

- If BR put out at first, place the runners back.

- If the BR reaches safely all advance one and only one (as any other base reached by BR would have to be by error). 

- Bases Loaded 'Poof Rule' appplies (7.15 example 15).

Has anyone heard different?

Heard different? no!   Let's go through your scenerios if we could. 

Dropped third strike only counts when there is zero or one out and first base is open. Or 2 out.   If a runner is on first, it is strike three, batter out. Base open, it is only strike 3.

It is also a live ball, so runners, say at 2nd and 3rd, are on there own as to attempting to advance. Why would I move them back?  Unless you just mean in leaving early situations?

I agree with 2 out, and force on the poof rule could happen. 

The one I am not sure about how you wrote it?  If the BR reaches safely all advance one and only one? Guy at 2nd leaves early, goe back to second. If he doesn't and runs to third on the throw to first, it is a smart play.

Maybe I am over analyzing this thing!!

• Shades_of_Blue Amateur 23 posts since
    May 7, 2009

Thank you NELL...

I was speaking specifically about runner leaving early scenerios... and yes I 'under thunk' the first base unoccupied part. 

So with no outs, first open and R2 leaves early... unless R2 is put out advancing, R2 will be going back despite what happens with BR (who do you also agree would not be able to advance beyond first as that would only be on error).

I appreciate the quick smack to the back of my head there!

• Kyle_ Legend 556 posts since
    May 25, 2007

We're more than a week into the season, and there haven't been any problems with it. Yeah, one game got put into extra innings, and lasted an extra hour because if it ( at least I didn't have the plate on that one), but that's baseball.

The kids figured it out pretty quickly, as it ain't rocket science. If your league is still undecided, convince them to go with it right out of the gate. They'll be better of for it in the long run.

May 21, 2010

Shades_of_Blue wrote:

Thank you NELL...

I was speaking specifically about runner leaving early scenerios... and yes I 'under thunk' the first base unoccupied part. 

So with no outs, first open and R2 leaves early... unless R2 is put out advancing, R2 will be going back despite what happens with BR (who do you also agree would not be able to advance beyond first as that would only be on error).

I appreciate the quick smack to the back of my head there!

Never a smack in the head from me!!   I appreciate you posting the thought!!  I learn so much from this site, I enjoy the back and forth!!

• Mason_Dixon_Blue Legend 250 posts since
    May 25, 2007

And ....... you can't use the "Poof Rule" for the uncaught third strike.

7.13(c) requires the ball to be batted or bunted within the infield.

An uncaught third strike is not a batted ball.

May 21, 2010

Interesting.  So 2 outs, bases loaded, R3 leaves early and dropped third strike..  Run scores in your opinion??   I think different. But you will force me to go get the rule book.

I will respond later.

• Kyle_ Legend 556 posts since
    May 25, 2007

Williamsport has decided otherwise, and the poof rule is in effect for the uncaught third strike, with the bases loaded, where someone leaves early. Too late to be the in the rule books, but that decision was put out to the DAs, via email, and should trickle out to the locals.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...