Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

3079 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 23, 2012 11:41 AM by Niftygirl16
Niftygirl16 Expert 54 posts since
Feb 9, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 13, 2012 11:44 AM

Finally got my first road bike!

After training and racing on my old mountain bike (one that wouldn't allow me to shift into the lower gears and had big knobby tires!) I decided that if I'm going to continue to do this I'm going to get a road bike.  I did alot of research and obviously you can spend a TON of money on a bike, but there really isn't any need to.  After all, you can't buy a spot in the winner's circle with an expensive bike!  Now, I do not "race to place."  I race because I'm a competitive person and I like to compete against myself.  My goals are merely to finish and hopefully beat my previous times.  Period.

With that said, I decided to purchase a Jamis bicycle.  They are said to be the most "bang for your buck" and there was a Jamis dealer not too far from me.  The guy at the shop was very knowledgable and listened to what I was looking for before even recommending a certain model.  He had me ride it around the block (I looked great in my leather boots!  LOL!  Hey, I didn't know I'd be test riding!) and although I will certainly have to get used to the shifting mechanism I must say it felt great!  I also had him switch out the pedals to the clipless version and added a couple basic accessories (water bottle cage, pack for cell phone, keys, whatever). 

So here is my new baby!  I'm looking forward to getting out there and riding!!  Kinda retro looking isn't she?

10_satellitesportf_gn.jpg

"At the end of every hard earned day people find some reason to believe."

Completed Races:

• 10/31/10 - Monster Mini Dash 5k (Providence, RI) - TIME 33.54
  • 3/19/11 - St. Pat's 5k (Providence, RI) - TIME 31:51

• 8/7/11 - Jerseygirl Sprint Tri (Long Branch, NJ) 1:32:23
  • 10/2/11 - Wish it, Dream it, Du it Duathlon (Smithfield, RI) 1:50:33
  • BT.ROB Legend 271 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    1. Mar 13, 2012 2:14 PM (in response to Niftygirl16)

Congratulations on the new bike! I'm sure you will better your previous times (and actually you can kind of buy a podium finish with an expensive bike if everything else stayed the same and you were only a few seconds out before ). I hope your local shop told you to come back in with appropriate shoes and shorts for a good fitting. Oftentimes they need to adjust the saddle position, maybe raise or lower the handlebar stem, or use a different length stem. This should all be part of the package for buying a bike. You need to be fitted to the bike to properly enjoy it a nd ride it often.

Have fun and good luck.

BT

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    3. Mar 15, 2012 1:16 PM (in response to Niftygirl16)

Congratulations Michelle! Your new bike looks awesome & I hope you have a great first season training & racing with it! 

Looks sharp!

:-) Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• DigitalRain Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 23, 2011
    4. Mar 22, 2012 7:39 AM (in response to IronMakeover)

Beautiful Bike!!

You are going to enjoy riding even more now.

• ACKMANN Amateur 22 posts since
    Jul 27, 2011
    5. Mar 22, 2012 1:05 PM (in response to Niftygirl16)

I have to agree, the bike looks amazing.  You'll probably be 2 mph faster just due to pride!

But, also know, there is another level of bike fit that you can have done.  Some bike shops offer computerized bike fits, that measure many parts of the bike and the angles of you body and allow the tech to make adjustments specifically for your body and how it sits on the bike.  I had a Retul fit done.  But, there are other types of bike fit like this one.

I had one done this spring when i added aero bars to my road bike.  I love it.  Can't quantify if I've added speed or power, but I think I'm stronger on it now, which should mean faster.

Not saying you should have this type of fit done, but just wanted to make sure you are aware of it.

I tri, du you?

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    6. Mar 22, 2012 3:34 PM (in response to Niftygirl16)

Nice bike.  I like the color.  Enjoy!

• mjm 62 Pro 91 posts since
    May 18, 2008
    7. Mar 23, 2012 11:19 AM (in response to Niftygirl16)

Michele,congrats on a fine looking steed!!You now have to name her [ for good luck of course ] I've named my Trek Equinox Betsy.Before every race we have a little chat and she has not let me down yet!!

Cape Coral Yacht club sprint 1:03

FGCU sprint 1:03

Columbus Marathon 3:50-2010

Gator Half Ironman 5:43-2009

Venice sprint 1:09/25th overall

Captiva sprint 1:04

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...