Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

617 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2012 2:55 PM by DallMike RSS
aliciamc01 Rookie 1 posts since
Mar 15, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 15, 2012 4:16 PM

Brand new RNY runner

Hi there...Im in my older 30's and I had gastric bypass surgery just over 3 months ago..ive dropped 68 lbs so far and I refuse to ever be heavy again. With that in mind, I have decided to get back in to running. I used to run when I was in high school and now Im trying to really get back into this. Any suggestions for someone just starting out? I have pretty big feet and I want to find a show that won't be too heavy and that is effective and good for running. Right now I wear the Skechers Shape -up Toners and they are comfortable, but are they good for running? Please advise. Thank you so much

• VirginiaBreeze Pro 104 posts since
    Apr 22, 2011
    1. Mar 15, 2012 6:20 PM (in response to aliciamc01)
    Brand new RNY runner

I don't think there is any good substitue for a knowledgeable person at a local running store.  They can watch you jog and suggest the right shoe for your gait.  New runners usually get stability shoes like the New Balance 860 or the Mizuno Wave Inspire or the Brooks Trance.  In any event, a dedicated running shoe is going to work much better than the Sketchers.

....mike

Started C25K 4/14/11, finished 6/23/11

Allen Stone 5k 7/16/11 (32:59)

Started B210k 7/20/11, finished 8/31/11

McDonald's Richmond Half-Marathon 11/12/11 (2:05:29)

Shamrock Half-Marathon 3/18/12 (2:09:43)

Monument Ave 10k 3/31/12 (no goal -- just hoping I'm still walking after the half)

• DallMike Amateur 9 posts since
    Feb 1, 2011
    2. Mar 18, 2012 2:55 PM (in response to aliciamc01)
    Brand new RNY runner

Hi Alicia.  Vertical sleeve gastrectomy for me 18 months ago.  Your skechers are probably fine for walking, but if you want to get into running I second going to a running store, not a big box retailer, but a true speciality running store.  Be prepared to spend a couple of hours being fitted and trying on different shoes.  Depending on your foot, you may or may not need stability shoes.  Larger runners with a neutral foot do best with cushioning.  Talk to the experts.  Get your dri-fit running clothes on sale at the big boxes.  Slow and steady will get you where you want to go.  Add variety as well such as weights, ab crunches, spinning, elliptical.  Good luck!  Oh, and I've dropped 100 and hope to lose another 40. 

1/28/12 - The Texas Half 5K 32:52

2/10/12 - Hot Chocolate 5K 33:10

3/17/12 - Dash Down Greenville 5K 31:58

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points