Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1066 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2012 1:47 AM by RobbinsRunner RSS
RobbinsRunner Amateur 9 posts since
Dec 15, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 18, 2012 8:07 PM

Question about new shoes. Please help!

Hello. I have been running 5 months now, and until recently I had been running in bare beat-up old nikes. I had leg fatigue which I figured was normal wear and tear on my legs. A friend of mine talked me into buying new running shoes. I went to a sporting equipment store. I explained the situation and the lady said I had normal looking arches(she had me walk around in socked feet). I do not know whether this lady really knew what she was talking about or not, but  she led me straight to the asics shoes. She didnt recommend any others. Of course I fell in love with the most expensive ones they had. They felt really nice in the store. So i bought gel Kayano for $150. Jeeesh!

So I have been running in these shoes for 3 weeks now, and am in more pain in these shoes than I ever was in my 10 yr old nikes. I cant run as far, and my calves and shins feel like they are going to bust open everytime I land on them. The arches hurt when I walk very far in them. While Im running, I dont feel pain in the arches but just calves and shins hurt badly. Never had pain there before. Is it possible I have too much support in these shoes? I am afraid I will get injured in these shoes. Do they just need broken in still? I read new shoes shouldnt need broken in. My shins feel like someone threw bricks at them. Sore to the touch! The pain I had the first 4 months was nothing compared to this. I always stretch plenty and Im positive the shoes are the problem, just not sure how to remedy this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance!

• crl8686 Legend 1,293 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    1. Mar 18, 2012 10:42 PM (in response to RobbinsRunner)

Most employees in generic sporting goods stores are NOT shoe experts. Sounds like this particular employee was being paid to sell Asics shoes. And...if a pair of running shoes is well matched to your biomechanics and your running style, they should feel good when you run - they definitely should not cause pain. Moreover, a well fitting pair of running shoes should not require breaking-in. Either they fit properly from day one, or they don't.

I would recommend going to a specialty running store (not a chain sporting goods store, and not a big box store) and have them fit you properly for a pair of running shoes. They should watch you run (preferably on a treadmill - many specialty stores have one - or around the store, if they don't). Having normal arches is only one factor - a large percentage of runners have normal arches. Depending on the rest of your biomechanics, the best type of shoe for you could be anywhere from minimalist to motion control. Don't restrict yourself to one particular brand - often several different brands will have similar shoe models and one will fit you better than the others. As for price...a good pair of running shoes typically costs in the $100-110 range. $150 is probably more than you need to spend. And if you're on a budget, you can often get last year's shoe models at discount prices without sacrificing quality.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Mar 19, 2012 5:43 AM (in response to RobbinsRunner)

I would still go to a running store and get a treadmill analysis.  If you are truly a underpronator just a plain natural shoe may not work.   Plus you will get to try on and feel the shoes, my shoes tend to be 90-120.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points