Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

634 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2012 3:50 AM by VeggieChick81 RSS
VeggieChick81 Pro 130 posts since
Jan 28, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 19, 2012 7:21 PM

Raced a HM during marathon training...bad idea?

Hi!

I have been using Hal Higdons novice 2 plan in hopes of running Vermont City Marathon in the end of May. In his training, he calls for a HM in week 9. Well, the city I live in had a great HM this past weekend, so I ran it...and really ran it, not like my long training runs. I actually got a PR of 1:55:15 so I'm really happy about that. I'm not so happy though that I think I may have made a poor choice to "race" the run.

The race was yesterday. I had a rest day today (being with my 1 and 3 year old boys and housework hardly is rest IMO but oh well)

Tomorrow I am scheduled for 4 miles..7 Wednesday..4 Thursday and 15-longest run ever attempted.

Am I asking for an injury? I know my muscles are still a bit tight.

I haven't even signed up for Vermont yet...but have followed training religiously. I hav been waiting for the confidence to kick in that I am ready to go for it...maybe if I can make it through this week I will know?

Thanks as always for your knowledge and helpfulness!!

Linda

"If you don't run you rust" - Tom Petty

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Mar 20, 2012 10:50 AM (in response to VeggieChick81)

I race a 1/2 during most of my marathon cycles, it helps tell me where I am.  Your shorter runs this week should be very easy and should help get the legs feeling better.  If you are not feeling good on Thru don't push it.  Next week you should be back on schedule, the hard 1/2 is like running 15 easy any way.  Good luck

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. Mar 20, 2012 2:07 PM (in response to VeggieChick81)

I agree with BOS, it is great training for the full.  Also, if you have to put off the 15-miler, do not worry...you have plenty of time and the opportunity to push out your LR schedule in early May, if necessary.  Just listen to your body and adjust the plan to fit your best performance. 

Congrats and best of luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points