Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

639 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 24, 2012 1:44 PM by VeggieChick81 RSS
VeggieChick81 Pro 130 posts since
Jan 28, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 23, 2012 5:26 AM

Have you run Vermont City Marathon or Ottawa? 1st timer needs advice ;)

Hi!

I'm close to halfway through Hal Higdons novice 2 marathon plan (tomorrow is my scheduled 15 miler) I am proud of myself for sticking with my scheduled runs this week, as it was the toughest it's been since I really raced a local half marathon on Saturday, even getting a PR of 1:55:15.

Here is my issue: I am not signed up for a marathon! I keep looking at Vermont, mostly because it looks like a "fun,entertaining" atmosphere, which is something I think I would need and thrive off of. The elevation chart is what's scaring me off...oh yea and that 26.2 number :)

I looked at Ottawa, which says its fast and flat. The only thing is, that an extra 3 hour drive (I live in the Boston area). I have no idea about Ottawa or anything to do with it.

Has anyone run either? Any advice? If I don't sign up by the end of this weekend, I'm going to put my training on hold and keep at halfs for the summer. I feel like I am going crazy trying to make up my mind!!!!!!!

"If you don't run you rust" - Tom Petty

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

I have not run either of those.  Where I live no hills so I would always pick the flatter course.  You just need to commit!  Good luck which every way you go.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

I ran a relay at the marathon in Burlington (aka Vermont City). I ran the 2nd leg, from about mile 3 to 8.5. It is a little hilly. No real killer hills but definitely some up-and-down.  It's a nice town and a nice race if you don't mind a few hills.

Just looked at the elevation map, and I can tell you the (down) hill approaching mile 4 (which you go back up at 8) is not as bad as it looks. Yes, it's a noticable hill, but not terrible, and not long.  I wish I had something to compare.  The hill around 15 is longer and not as steep. After that it's really relatively flat.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points