Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

720 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2012 4:39 AM by Matt88619 RSS
sapphiregal Expert 59 posts since
May 9, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 25, 2012 8:30 PM

Is it POSSIBLE??

Well, I will turn big 40 this September - not quite the age Im looking forward to, lol. Anyway, I wanted to do something special when I hit the 40. Wondering if its possible that I could train and race for 1/2 marathon by this September??? Or its too soon? I just ran a 5K on St. Patricks day a slow 35 minutes (was sick for 3 days just before the race).

• nyla100 Expert 59 posts since
    Jul 23, 2009
    1. Mar 25, 2012 10:27 PM (in response to sapphiregal)
    Is it POSSIBLE??

It's definitely possible, sapphiregal! I started running in Sept, ran my first 1/2 marathon in Dec, a second one in February, and just finished the LA Marathon one week ago. This was with working a FT job and traveling quite a bit as well. Having said that, I was not as consistent with my training as I would've liked, so I'm starting C25K again in April to get back on a regular running schedule. If you're feeling healthy, then even if you go slow, six months gives you lots of time to prepare. If it's a goal of yours, then I say go for it!

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

Steve Prefontaine

• Matt88619 Amateur 16 posts since
    Mar 31, 2011
    2. Mar 28, 2012 4:39 AM (in response to nyla100)
    Is it POSSIBLE??

It is possible and now is a great time for you to continue the training that you have already started, if you were starting from scratch it would be harder but you are running regularly and that is half the battle, be prepared to put in the extra time required for the training.

Check out my blog for heaps of Click here for training information at www.5ktainingschedules.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...