Skip navigation

285 Views 0 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2012 11:57 PM by SoftballPerformance_com RSS
SoftballPerformance_com Pro 128 posts since
May 25, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 25, 2012 11:57 PM

Upping Your Focus Level Pays Off

Guest post by Ken Krause, Life in the Fastpitch Lane blog

Tonight I was working with one of my top hitting students, a girl named Amy who always draws oohs and ahhs when people watch her swing the bat. She's a very good hitter, better than she herself realizes, I think, and really turned some heads as a varsity starter last year when she was a freshman.

Her normal swing is a good one, but tonight while we were doing some front toss I noticed something. At one point you could just see that something had changed with her — and changed for the better.

I had to stop and ask — did your concentration level just go up? Yes, she answered. She told me that the last swing, where the ball just jumped off her bat in what looked like it would've been a 300 foot home run if we were at a field instead of in a cage, she just totally blocked out all other thoughts and just focused on the ball.

What a concept, eh? We often tell hitters to "see ball, hit ball," but how often do they actually accomplish it? There's always some nagging thought getting in the way, whether it's an instruction, a consequence (such as I need to get a hit so we can score the runners on base), a fight with a parent or teammate, a fielding error from last inning or something else.

Yet what you really need as a hitter is that pure concentration. When you are totally focused, the ball looks bigger and gets slower. You're right there in the moment, just you and the ball, only you have a big ol' bat in your hands.

Softball Tips - Upping Your Focus Level Pays Off

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...