Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2446 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2012 8:10 PM by JenWyn RSS
JenWyn Amateur 9 posts since
Mar 20, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 26, 2012 5:47 PM

Getting migraines after run, any suggestions?

So, I started the C25K program last Thursday. Everything was fine during the run, but as my body was trying to cool down throughout the day I developed a migraine.  I have Multiple Sclerosis and when my body overheats it can cause flare-ups, which leads to migraines. It was pretty hot last week so I took a break over the weekend, and decided to start again today.  I  thought today would be great, because it was actually pretty cold outside; but I still ended up with a migraine.  Is there something I can do to help me keep my body temp down while running, or should I not be running?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jenny H

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Mar 27, 2012 3:02 PM (in response to JenWyn)
    Getting migraines after run, any suggestions?

Hi Jenny,

I would say check the most obvious factors first and experiment with food choices and adequate hydration.  Think about a belt to carry fluids with you and look into a neck cooling wrap (the kind with the gel or thermafreeze).  They really assist in warmer weather.  Electrolyte and circulation problems can cause severe headaches, for example.  Also, consider any side-effects from medications and the timing of exercise in connection with those.  In other words, is there a way to run at an earlier or later hour to see if that makes a difference and/or a way to alter any other routines?  If you can indentify the contributing influences, then I think you will be fine with positive results.   

Hope you are feeling better and back on the route soon! 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points