Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2534 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2012 8:11 PM by Lochbain
MrsBigMack Rookie 1 posts since
Feb 20, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 28, 2012 3:35 PM

Question about speed training

Hi there!

I have just recently gotten serious about running again... last time I ran any races was pre-kids back in 2003. So I'm running about 25km/week and getting ready to ramp up distance for a Half Marathon in August. My longest runs to date have been 10km consistently and my usual pace is about 6:15/6:20 though the other day I brought my pace down to 5:57 for 10km in an effort just to see if I could get a sub-1hr 10k. Glad to see I could, I was encouraged and decided to increase distance a few days later. On Saturday last week I went out to add 1-2km to my normal 10km route... but didn't really know how far I was going and ended up running 15km. (oops!) My average pace was 6:15.

Here's my question: Do you think it's possible for me to get my Half Marathon pace to under 6:00 by August? I don't know what kinds of speed/pace gains are to be expected under normal training conditions. I plan to run 3 times a week and cross train with High Intensity Interval Training classes 2x/week with 2 rest days (one on either side of my long run day).

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    1. Mar 31, 2012 8:40 PM (in response to MrsBigMack)

Your first half back after kids..I would focus more on finishing and having a good time. Could you do it? Maybe.  Don't try to push training to much. Small increments. Your body needs time to adjust before you increase again. Try it and see where it takes you.

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    2. Apr 1, 2012 2:04 PM (in response to MrsBigMack)

I agree with the above advice.  I would focus more on increasing endurance through your LR schedule as opposed to setting particular goals for speed.  Maybe consider entering some other races over the summer to help prepare for the half and assist with getting back into the realm of competition.  

It sounds like you have a good training plan.  In the next couple of months, you may want to increase your running to four times per week and/or add distance (even at a slower pace).  Some have great benefit from splitting the mileage within a particular day, so running a regular route in the morning and doing shorter speed intervals in the afternoon, for example.  It all depends on your individual fitness needs and overall objectives. 

Wishing you all the best for a great experience!

• Lochbain Amateur 36 posts since
    Apr 23, 2011
    3. Apr 6, 2012 8:11 PM (in response to MrsBigMack)

Could you do it? Yes. If you set up a training schedual where you train hard for that goal and since you have over four months to until race day the you can defianantly do it. The question is do you want to push that hard and be away from your family that much? I agree with the Devoted Runner and Jasko. Try to enjoy it and just focus on finishing.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...