Skip navigation

4522 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2012 4:57 AM by Dreamstate RSS
Denise Carfora Rookie 4 posts since
Jan 23, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 2, 2012 3:21 PM

New to TRIATHLONS-lots of questions!

New to TRIATHLONS with TONS of questions!! 

Help!  I am thinking of signing up for the SheROX Tri at the end of August.  I am a frequent flyer of 10milers and 1/2 marathons but  don't consider myself much of a swimmer and have only biked once or twice for leisure. I'm not too worried about the training, although I would love any guidance you could give me on that.  Is it possible to train on my own without a personal trainer?  When I said I'm not much of a swimmer, I meant I pretty much suck at it! What kind of equipment do I need?  wetsuit? bike recommendations? (don't have more than a 10 speed lol), special goggles?, shoes? etc.  Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!!

• ACKMANN Amateur 22 posts since
    Jul 27, 2011
    1. Apr 3, 2012 8:40 AM (in response to Denise Carfora)

Well, the big question is how much do you want to spend?  You can do it for very little money, or you can spend the whole bank. 

As for the swim, I would highly recommend a qualified swimming instructor.  I am not a swimmer, but found an amazing swim instructor who was able to zero in on my problems, give me drills to correct them, and has gotten on a solid footing.  My instructor isn't a triathlon coach, just a swim instructor.  And I don't think she teaches "normal" swimming, but rather distance swimming.  You need to learn to swim like a triathlete, not a 50M sprinter.

As for the bike..... My first sprint duathlon was on my 37lb mountain bike.  Only thing I spent money on was road tires, rather than knobbies.  If you want to buy a bike, I would greatly suggest finding someone who is qualified to give you appropriate advice on what bike would be best for you.  There is a lot to a proper bike, more than just standing over it and a 5 minute ride.

Now that I've said all this.....  One thing I would definitely get is a VERY comfortable pair of bike shorts.  Certain parts of your body will thank you for it.  Don't cut back on the padding here.

• BT.ROB Legend 272 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    2. Apr 3, 2012 10:22 AM (in response to Denise Carfora)

Denise:

Good reply by ACKMANN. I will add that a wetsuit is not necessary depending on water temperature. Some places like running stores will rent them so you can see what fits and decide whether or not you like triathlons. Swim googles are helpful, particularly for training swims in chlorinated pools.Some swim instruction is very helpful and has helped me alot. A bike (any kind) and a helmet are required. Running shoes (or not) and clothes. That's really the bare necessities. If you decide you like doing triathlons, there is certainly gear that will drain the checking account.

There are lots of training plans out there and a number of them here on Active. Remember to run after riding the bike so you can feel what it is like. It is not called a "brick" for nothing! I recommend folks go watch (or better yet, volunteer) at a triathlon before attempting one to see how the race and transitions work. Lots of help here on this forum for specific questions.Good luck and have fun.

BT

• Julie Ann Hackett Legend 228 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Apr 3, 2012 12:31 PM (in response to Denise Carfora)

I did a SheRox race as one of my first triathlons and would definitly recommend it as a good beginner tri.  You certainly don't need a personal trainer, but it wouldn't hurt to find a local tri club that you could train with.   They don't do the SheRox race where I live anymore, but I know that they used to offer a free mentor program that you could sign up for and the mentor was supposed to organize a few group training days and be available to answer questions.  Active has great training plans and I used one of the their plans to train for my first race.  There are also quite a few free plans for beginners that you can find online.

As for gear, I think people covered it pretty well already, just depends what you want to spend.  Another option for a bike it to rent one.  I rented a road bike for a race last year for about $40.

Don't forget to plan your transitions.  There are lots of great videos on YouTube that show you how to set up your stuff and fly through transitions.

Good luck!

• pacificfit Legend 147 posts since
    Jan 9, 2008
    5. Apr 6, 2012 10:49 AM (in response to Denise Carfora)

I'd also highly recommend you surf through the resources at SwimSmooth. I am a huge fan of their DVD's and Books.

And best of luck!

Ben

My blog is at http://www.BenGreenfieldFitness.com

Also, I'm giving away a free 7-part series on "How To Become Superhuman" at http://www.SuperhumanCoach.com

• Dreamstate Legend 278 posts since
    Dec 1, 2009
    6. Apr 9, 2012 11:01 AM (in response to pacificfit)

I'm new to triathlons too! I'm a distance runner and I'm looking to transition to triathlons. I'm taking swim lessons and hoping to train for the Atlantic City International Sprint Triathlon in September.

I'm hoping to train with the local tri club and I'm still shopping for a bike. I'm struggling with that part. It's hard to get the truth about what you can get away with in terms of buying a bike when asking the LBS (local bike shop) folks. If I mention that I might want to start with an aluminum bike, I'm given a stearn look and a head shake of disapproval.

But honestly, I want to be able to bike with friends and family (who all have big box store mountain bikes like your average $150 bike from Walmart) and train for triathlons. So here are my options as I see fit:

1. Buy a little $150 bike for recreation, and a $900 road bike (Trek 1.1 or Lexa)

2. Buy a hybrid for both

3. Put all of my money into a nice road bike like a Trek 1.2

That's where I'm struggling the most... I want to put my money in the right place but I want it to fit my lifestyle. Next year, I would like to try an oly distance then a HIM tri. Thoughts on buying a starter bike and trading up next year? Or just going all in and learning and racing on a nicer bike?

I just need some advice or some stories from experience.

Thanks!

Completed Races 2012:

Rock and Roll USA Half Marathon, 02:54:26 (1st run POST injury)

Cherry Blossom 10-Miler, 01:49:00

====================================

Upcoming Races 2012:

IronGirl Half Marathon, 4/29/12

Frederick Half Marathon, 5/6/12

Atlantic City International Sprint Tri, 09/17/12

Rock and Roll Philly Half Marathon, 09/18/12

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/13/12

Marine Corps Marathon, 10/28/12

ING NYC Marathon, 11/4/12

Personal Record from 2011:

Teach, Learn, Play 5k, 10/02/11 00:26:57 (PR)

Marine Corps Marathon 10k, 10/30/11 01:05:38 (PR)

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/15/11, 02:24:15 (PR)

• jamesperez Amateur 12 posts since
    Mar 11, 2011
    7. Apr 9, 2012 2:48 PM (in response to Dreamstate)

I would get a good road bike.  That's what I did and then decided to sell it after a year and get a triathlon bike.  You may do that or decide you just like road riding.  Road bike is a good place to start if you've never bike before and not sure which way you'll sway once you get into it. 

84 pounds lost and counting.

http://www.james-perez.blogspot.com

• Dreamstate Legend 278 posts since
    Dec 1, 2009
    8. Apr 10, 2012 4:57 AM (in response to jamesperez)

Thanks! I went by my LBS last night and test rode some road bikes. I took the time to learn more about the differing components and the quality of materials as they relate to price. I also found a style that's most comfortable for me and my budget. I think I'm going to visit a couple of other shops before making a final decision on the bike.

Other people told me that riding a mountain bike or hybrid and riding a road bike are so different. One is like driving a jeep and the other is like driving a motorcycle. You can't compare the two even though they both get you from point A to point B. I will definitely get a road bike for training and racing and eventually get a little inexpensive mountain bike for recreational rides with my family and friends (nothin more than a ride on a 15 mile flat trail).

Completed Races 2012:

Rock and Roll USA Half Marathon, 02:54:26 (1st run POST injury)

Cherry Blossom 10-Miler, 01:49:00

Upcoming Races 2012:

IronGirl Half Marathon, 4/29/12

Frederick Half Marathon, 5/6/12

Atlantic City International Sprint Tri, 09/17/12

Rock and Roll Philly Half Marathon, 09/18/12

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/13/12

Marine Corps Marathon, 10/28/12

ING NYC Marathon, 11/4/12

Personal Record from 2011:

Teach, Learn, Play 5k, 10/02/11 00:26:57 (PR)

Marine Corps Marathon 10k, 10/30/11 01:05:38 (PR)

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/15/11, 02:24:15 (PR)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points