Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

26426 Views 181 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2012 9:25 PM by SingingPilgrim Go to original post 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Previous Next
  • irulan Amateur 23 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    105. Apr 25, 2012 9:44 AM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

I got W4D2 done this morning! I paced myself and went quite a bit slower, and the voice in my head trying to tell me that I'm crazy for trying this was much quieter Next run is on Friday!

«« irulan »»

...let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. -- Hon. Jack Layton

C25K Start Date: April 1st, 2012

Next Race: Toronto Women's 5K - May 27th, 2012

• jenny99779 Rookie 6 posts since
    Aug 8, 2010
    106. Apr 25, 2012 9:50 AM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

I wimped out this morning - raining outside and feeling tired.  I'll do W2, D2 tomorrow!  I will!

Canadian Jen

• julieinsunnyaz Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 8, 2009
    107. Apr 25, 2012 12:00 PM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Hi! I'm new here. And I've been doing the C25K program for the past few weeks too. I'm glad to have found you all!! I'm definitely not a runner, but would like to be one. I did the C25K program a few years ago and finished it. It was hard at times, but very well planned out. Look forward to sharing and encouraging you all along the way!!

A little about me. I'm 42, mom of 2 daughters. I've lost about 125lbs in the past 10 years, most of it that first year through Atkins. I'm not expecting to lose weight while running. In my experience weight loss is 80%+ diet, and only 20% exercise. The running is more for me-overally healthy, energy, strength and vitality. I'm down to my all time low adult weight (since 6th grade) of 148lbs, and I really want to stay there!! I gained about 3lbs in the past 4 weeks since adding the running. I'm a bit disappointed in that, but I'm working through it. Not gonna' let it derail me.

Week 4 Day1 completed - anyone else have a hard time on that second 5 minute run? That last minute I had to slow down the treadmill and was able to finish. That shorter 2.5min. recovery after that first 5min run, I had to lengthen it a bit too. But, I'm happy so far. I'll do day 2 tomorrow. Getting a late start this week. I usually try to do SUn, Tues and Thurs., but as long as I get it done in that week I'm happy.

• victoria75 Amateur 40 posts since
    Apr 10, 2012
    108. Apr 25, 2012 10:45 PM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

week4, day 2 done. it feels good to have got it out of the way. It was difficult today for a bit, then i got into it, and my legs and shins decided to loosen up. I was finding the walking parts painful and harder on my lower legs than the running.Anyways, i did it and then actually ran a little more- about 2 more 5 minute intervals, hope i dont regret it!!

• Latashababygirl Amateur 15 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    109. Apr 26, 2012 10:38 AM (in response to victoria75)
    Starting in April!

Great Job ladies, I completed week 3 day 2 today. This week has really been hard but I love the challenge, 1 more day of week 3 and on to week 4!!!!!!

C25K-Week 1 Completed

C25K-We ek 2 Completed

C25K-Week 3 Completed

C25K-Week 4 Completed

C25K-Week 5

C25K-Week 6

C25K-Week 7

C25K-Week 8

C25K-Week 9

• Melynda2012 Amateur 9 posts since
    Apr 10, 2012
    110. Apr 26, 2012 10:58 AM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

I did W3D1 yesterday!!  It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.  I made it through all the run intervals , and continued walking on the treadmill for another 20 minutes.   The 5K I signed up for is in 16 days and I want to make sure I finish in 45 minutes (the 5K course closes after 60 minutes).  Yesterday it took me 55 minutes to complete 3.1 miles and that was with a lot of walking the last 20 minutes.  Hopefully continuing the programs for two more weeks will shave 10 minutes off. 

I'm really enjoying hearing everyone else's progress.  The support really keeps me going.  Good luck ladies!!

Mel

• julieinsunnyaz Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 8, 2009
    111. Apr 26, 2012 12:43 PM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Hey-Looks like you're all doing well!!

I finished W4D2 today - whew!! That was hard!! That second 5 minute run was really tough. I lowered my speed (using the treadmill these days) to 4.5 by the end. I did the 3 min runs at 5, and the 5 min runs at 4.8 (until that last minute!!)

Victoria-sounds like we're on the same schedule!! You added minutes? WTG!! I'm barely able to get that last 5 min "run" in!!

Melynda-I'm sure you'll be in great shape by your run. I did 2.1miles in 30 minutes today, so I know you'll be able to do even faster in 2 weeks!

I'm leaving for vacation May 5. We'll be hiking all over Utah, but I don't know if I'll be able to keep the C25K pace? I'm going to try, but if I can't I'll at least be quite active, then resume the routine when I get home. We'll see. I could probably benefit from re-doing week 4!! It gets tougher from here and this is hard enough for me!!

• Fler Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 26, 2012
    112. Apr 27, 2012 7:08 AM (in response to nikita138)
    Re: Starting in April!

Ditto to all the above.  I am 37 and just really started running.  I will be doing Day 2 of Week 2 in the morning.  I have been so motivated for two reasons, I have already registered for my first 5k, October 27.  Call me crazy but it is the Run for your Lives (Zombie) 5k.  I will die!  and I am okay with it.  I just think it will be fun and exhausting but what better way to join the running world.  Second both of my aunts, who are in their 60's are runner and thanks to Facebook I get encouragement every day.  Good luck all!  Keep running.  I always tell myself that if I slow down or don't get up and run I am only cheating myself!!!

• SRB2012 Amateur 20 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    113. Apr 26, 2012 2:23 PM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Finished week 3 day 2 today and it was soooo much easier than week 3 day 1!!!  I did the same route but did it backwards, so those 3 mile jogs aren't uphill anymore. One of the 90 second intervals is, but that's OK.  My knees hurt the first jog interval this time just like last time even though I was on level ground as opposed to going downhill, which I thought was the problem.  They are better for that second interval and the rest of the jogs, but I wonder if they're going to hold out.  So far so good!  Can't wait for day 3 of week 3!

Apr 9, 2012
    114. Apr 26, 2012 2:25 PM (in response to julieinsunnyaz)
    Starting in April!

Welcome, Julie! I had the same issue with the second 5min run on W4D1 but I found it pretty easy to overcome on W4D2.  Part of it was because I knew I could do it, having already succeeded the first time, but I also slowed way down throughout the whole workout. Definitely helped a lot!  As for the weight fluctuation, I know it's hard to watch the numbers go up(I have about 75lbs left to lose myself, already lost 37lb since September 2011), but keep in mind that you may be gaining muscle.  I've only lost 2lb since starting C25K on April 1st, but I KNOW I'm gaining muscle because I can see it, plus my pants fit way looser LOL

Fleur - welcome! Having family and friends that are encouraging is SO helpful.  My spouse is not a runner but is quite athletic (a former national-level badminton player) and has been so supportive of me.

Melynda - I'm sure you can do it!  Don't forget to listen to your body though... the last thing you want is to get hurt before your race!

This morning I registered for the Toronto Women's Run on May 27th... it's on the same day as my scheduled W9D1, so I'm supposed to be running 5km that day anyway LOL  I'm excited!

«« irulan »»

...let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. -- Hon. Jack Layton

• victoria75 Amateur 40 posts since
    Apr 10, 2012
    115. Apr 26, 2012 3:56 PM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

i see alot of you have already signed up for a 5k, even if youre not going to have finished this yet. Very brave! I dont think ill be able to let myself try one before completeing this. One of the biggest things holding me back is my weight. I was hoping to lose enough weight on this program and with a diet, that I wouldnt be self conscious at a 5k, or feel out of place, i guess. Plus, i want to be able to run the entire thing easily, so I think I will wait. There is one near the end of june that is in the evening, which is a plus, but i dont know that i'll be ready by then, this weight thing has me so isolated and scared to venture out. I am 40 lbs overweight, scale isnt going down either. How is it possible to be running 3x a week and not losing? I am 37 now, but even just a couple years ago-running would always make me lose..

Apr 9, 2012
    116. Apr 26, 2012 7:04 PM (in response to victoria75)
    Starting in April!

Victoria - there is nothing wrong with waiting No one knows your body or your limits as well as you do.  I totally understand being self-conscious about your weight.  Last summer, I weighed 239lbs, which at a height of 5'4" made me roughly 110lbs overweight and morbidly obese.  I've lost 37lbs over the last 7 months; only 2 of them have come off since starting C25K this month.  Have you tried keeping a food journal?  I know it sounds so cliché, but it truly does help.  If you need any help, please let me know... I work for a nutritionist so I have access to free info

«« irulan »»

Apr 9, 2012
    117. Apr 27, 2012 6:55 AM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Just finished Week 4!!! It's getting easier and easier each time Next run is on Sunday... Bring on W5!

«« irulan »»

• Mamatotwoboys Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 13, 2012
    118. Apr 27, 2012 10:39 AM (in response to victoria75)
    Starting in April!

Victoria - I'm planning to run a 5k and was thinking about one in early June. But it has a 45 minute time limit. Instead I am going to sign up for one on 4th of July to give myself time to pick up a bit of speed. You are the only one hesitant to sign up for a race right away.

Did w3d2 yesterday and felt pretty good.

• Latashababygirl Amateur 15 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    119. Apr 28, 2012 10:47 AM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Irulan I’m glad to hear you say it gets easier, I justfinished week 3 today and I feel GREAT. I would have never thought I wouldstill be doing this. This morning I even thought about skipping my workoutbecause I wanted to have a lazy day but once I started walking/running my bodywas sooooo happy that I didn’t skip the workout. Week 3 complete, week 4 startson Tuesday. Those 2 days off I feel lazy so I’ll be playing a lot of Wii withthe kids and probably do a 20 minute walk on the treadmill tomorrow. I neverintended to run a 5K after this but I’m starting to feel confident that I can.  WTG EVERYONE, KEEP PUSHING!!!!!

C25K-Week 1 Completed

C25K-We ek 2 Completed

C25K-Week 3 Completed

C25K-Week 4 Completed

C25K-Week 5

C25K-Week 6

C25K-Week 7

C25K-Week 8

C25K-Week 9

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...