Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

27064 Views 181 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2012 9:25 PM by SingingPilgrim Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 13 Previous Next
  • Kontiko Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 10, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Apr 10, 2012 11:09 AM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Starting today after work!

Little history on myself.  My wife and I were married in August 2009.  Graduated from Texas A&M University in May 2010.  Ever since graduation, I have become extremely out-of-shape and put on about 30-35 lbs too much on my 6'2" frame (originally was 185, now around ~220lbs).  I have no energy throughout the day, get tired doing the most mundane tasks and find myself winded more times than not.

My wife and I have a 2 year old son, and in order to be a more active father and more healthy individual as a whole, I am starting my c25k workout regime tonight.  I have given myself enough excuses.  I have put it off long enough.  I'm tired of being tired and have joined these forums for motivation from people like myself starting out fresh.

Extremely out-of-shape and tired Dad,

Kontiko

• ak812 Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    16. Apr 10, 2012 11:25 AM (in response to TrishFahey)
    Starting in April!

Trish - I think you should do it again! My personal goal is to get through the 9 week C25K program and then continue to gradually increase my running distances/times with the overall goal of making running a part of my lifestyle. I'd love to do this along with you & offer whatever support I can in terms of continuing to run after the C25K. I know I'll certainly need all I can get! Good luck to you!

• ak812 Rookie 7 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    17. Apr 10, 2012 11:43 AM (in response to Kontiko)
    Starting in April!

Kontiko - Good for you for wanting to be a more active father & healthier in general. I'm a long way from having kids, but want to start living a more active/healthier life now so that when I do become a mom I can pass that along to my children. I'm inspired by what you're doing, good luck to you! Let me know how the first workout goes.

• arthurpararas Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 10, 2012
    18. Apr 10, 2012 11:49 AM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Good luck to you too, itto! I'm going to try and stick to a Mon, Wed, Fri schedule as well. Do you have any plans for the off days, like strength training or anything?

• BlackHillsMom Amateur 26 posts since
    Jun 29, 2011
    19. Apr 10, 2012 11:57 AM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Go for it!!!! I started adding some jogging intervals to my walking around the first of the year. I have never been a runner before...I dreaded and avoided it! Now...it's 12 days until my first 5k!! I'm nervous, and if it weren't for my husband holding me to it, I'd probably back out. I am not fast, and I still typically have a couple of brief periods of walking to catch my breath, but I'M DOING IT and that's all that matters. I don't log in to thi swebsit every often, but I love the encouragement and seeing that there are lots of others out there doing things for the first time in their lives. Awesome!

• SRB2012 Amateur 20 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    20. Apr 10, 2012 2:40 PM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

I appreciate all the advice about the appetite in the first weeks and the inspiration from those of you who have done this before and succeeded!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap but good treadmill? I work during the day and my husband works at night so one of us is always home with our small children.  I can only run outdoors on Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays.  Having a treadmill would let me run after the kids go to bed, but I don't want to spend a fortune on one.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

• itto Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    21. Apr 10, 2012 3:31 PM (in response to arthurpararas)
    Starting in April!

Arthur, I usually just do push ups and sit ups for strength training. I also go for 20 minute walks on my days off from running. I don't want to get in the habbit of being lazy on my off days!

Kontiko, I know exactly how you feel. I used to be able to run a 15 minute 2 mile while holding a conversation. Now, I'm lucky if I can keep a 10 minute mile pace for one mile. And I consatantly wonder where all this extra weight came from. I think my body gave me 25lbs as a present for my 25th birthday!

• victoria75 Amateur 40 posts since
    Apr 10, 2012
    22. Apr 10, 2012 5:44 PM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Hi, I started couch to 5k on April 1st and am in my second week. I'm trying to get back into excercise and lose the weight I've gained. I used to run, but have ever fully enjoyed it. I think I always tried too much, too soon. I am following the plan and was also excited to see that although I'm overweight now, I can still do it!

• Melynda2012 Amateur 9 posts since
    Apr 10, 2012
    23. Apr 10, 2012 6:23 PM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Hi Everyone,

I started the C25K program last week and plan to run my first 5K on Mother's Day.  I signed up for the Mothers on the Run 5K in Portland, OR.  (They have races in different cities on Mother's Day.)   I'm running three days a week at the gym while my 14 yr. old son is in his martial arts class at the same gym.  On my off days I ride a stationery bike at home.  I definitely need to stregthen up my legs because they were sore/weak most of last week.  My laziness of the past three years is definitely showing.  I had knee surgery three years ago and after that I pretty much stopped exercising except for some walking and hiking.

I'm glad to have a group to help motivate me and keep me on my plan.  Good Luck all!

Mel

• Latashababygirl Amateur 15 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    24. Apr 10, 2012 7:51 PM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

I know this has been asked before but what are you all doing on off days? I planned to do 30-40 mins on the elliptical but have been reading that it should be something not working the legs. I'm only on week 1 so I'm clueless.

C25K-Week 1 Completed

C25K-We ek 2 Completed

C25K-Week 3 Completed

C25K-Week 4 Completed

C25K-Week 5

C25K-Week 6

C25K-Week 7

C25K-Week 8

C25K-Week 9

• SingingPilgrim Expert 56 posts since
    Jun 12, 2011
    25. Apr 10, 2012 8:27 PM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Hello everyone! My name is Pamela and I'll be joining you all! I tried the Couch25K last summer and was doing really well... and then I had a biopsy (uteran) which really laid me up with pain for a few weeks. I lost my momentum. A few months later I tried to restart and got back to where I had left off... and then stopped again because I'd gotten a seasonal job. I've been battling unemployment for years, and I had employment on my feet for the Christmas season and I was stressing that I'd twist my ankle doing the C25K and lose my job (a fair fear, I twisted it twice in the summer, but two days of rest resolved it. But I wouldn't be able to take two days off work, or if I did I'd lose that much needed money).  I decided it was worth peace of mind to put it off until this job was over... which was four months ago now and I still haven't restarted. Grr.

So here I am again! This time I'm definitely finishing.

I'm 26 and weigh between 250 and 300. I'm not necessarily doing this for weight loss (though it's welcome) but I am looking forward to having my body tone back up. I was delighted with how toned it got last summer. It's kind of flabby right now. :-P

I'm especially looking forward to toning before my wedding! I'm getting married in the fall and would like to be more fit by then. (I'm also moving to India! Which has nothing to do with the C25k but it's exciting so I'm sharing).

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Visit my blogs!

Health and Fitness: http://meaningfulactivity.blogspot.com/

Lifestyle blog: www.thesongsontheway.com

"No discipline seems enjoyable at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it yields the fruit of peace and righteousness to those who have been trained by it. Therefore strengthen your tired hands and weakened knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be dislocated,but healed instead." -Hebrews 12:11-13

• LunaRiley Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 11, 2012
    26. Apr 11, 2012 12:36 AM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Starting today. I can't wait.

Apr 10, 2012
    27. Apr 11, 2012 6:11 PM (in response to SingingPilgrim)
    Starting in April!

I was aprehensive about upping the running on week 2. I did my first week 2 workout yesterday and it was so easy thanks to this plan, I was proud of myslef and havent felt that in a long time. Since starting this April 1st, i have lost 5 lbs. I like the gradual increase that this plan offers to make it so do-able!

Apr 10, 2012
    28. Apr 11, 2012 6:14 PM (in response to SRB2012)
    Starting in April!

The problem with the cheap treadmills is that they arent heavy/sturdy enough, at least thats what I've found. They are shaky when running and the belt is more narrow.Noisy too, makes it hard to watch tv or whatever to pass the time because you have to crank the volume up so high. Your best bet might be looking on Craigslist for a better quality used one, hopefully one that hasnt been used too much. Ive seen some nice ones on there. 

• SRB2012 Amateur 20 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    29. Apr 11, 2012 6:45 PM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Thanks victoria75 for your info on treadmills, but also for putting some fears to rest about starting week 2.  I completed my second workout of week 1 today and am already thinking about week 2 apprehensively. The first jog interval today had me really uncomfortable, but the rest seemed to be rather easy. Maybe a too fast 5-minute walk to warm up or maybe not fast enough? Anyway, I hope my knees hold out.

1 2 3 4 ... 13 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...