Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

26000 Views 182 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2012 9:25 PM by SingingPilgrim RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 Previous Next
  • allmarathontraining Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 11, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Apr 11, 2012 6:50 PM (in response to TrishFahey)
    Re: Starting in April!

It is surprising that just getting started can lead to so much more. Good luck on your journey. If you want a 5k Training schedule try Allmarathontraining.com

• Melynda2012 Amateur 9 posts since
    Apr 10, 2012
    31. Apr 11, 2012 8:04 PM (in response to Melynda2012)
    Starting in April!

Today was day 1 of week 2.  I have to admit I just wasn't feeling it getting on that treadmill today.  If my son didn't have a class at the gym I don't think I would have gone today, but I did. Pretty hard to slack off when I have to take him to his class 4-5 days a week.   I completed the workout and the entire time I'm on the treadmill there is a young woman that looks half my age (I'm 43) running non-stop for 30 minutes on the treadmill beside of me.  I so wanted to lean back and see what pace she had her treadmill set on.  I think I jog slow but I have to keep reminding myself at least I'm trying!  LOL!  So on Friday I hope I'm in a better frame of mind for day 2.  I will say that listening to the C25K podcast is such a big motivater.

• lily_lily Rookie 6 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    32. Apr 11, 2012 8:12 PM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

I just started C25K this week. 

Today was my second day. However, when I started on Monday, I walked most of it. I had horrible shin splints and a cramp in my side. I figured I didn't warm up enough or drink enough water. So I repeated day one today and it felt so much better than Monday. Can't wait to do Day 2.

• Kaycoocachoo Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 6, 2012
    33. Apr 11, 2012 9:03 PM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

I started at the beginning of this month. I have completed up to Week2Day2 and feel great! I used to be active in high school, but have always struggled with my weight. I am a tall girl and I have had numerous knee and ankle injuries which have always put me at a disadvantage. But so far, the knees and ankles are holding up well! I plan on doing this program to help me with my weight and to be more active! I can't wait to join my future brother and sister in law on a race together!

• victoria75 Amateur 40 posts since
    Apr 10, 2012
    34. Apr 12, 2012 6:59 PM (in response to lily_lily)
    Starting in April!

lily- my shins just burned the first week too. Im adding long walks on the off days and now, in my second week, the shins are doing alot better. I noticed that the jogging parts were easier on the shins and legs than the inbetween walking parts. Sticking to it though- the increase in the jogging is so gradual it makes you feel proud every time you get through the next workout. was worried about week 3, but i think ill be ready, rain or shine. good luck!

• irulan Amateur 23 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    35. Apr 13, 2012 6:26 AM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Hi everyone! My name is Katy and I just started C25K on April 1st...  I'm about to go out for W2D3 this morning.

I'm 28 and weigh 203lbs.  I've always been overweight and have never enjoyed sports or physical activity, but last summer I'd finally had enough...  I clocked in just shy of 240lbs and while on vacation I couldn't keep up with my family.  I was ashamed of myself for letting it get so bad so when I got home I vowed to make a change.  Since September 2011 I have managed to lose 35lbs by diet alone, but I've started to plateau so it's time to do more!

I chose C25K because I really liked all the resources on the site.  I downloaded the BlackBerry app and have been using that for training.  I'm really proud of my progress so far... More importantly, I can't believe I'm ENJOYING it!!! LOL

Looking forward to getting go know all of you and cheering you on!

«« irulan »»

...let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. -- Hon. Jack Layton

C25K Start Date: April 1st, 2012

Next Race: Toronto Women's 5K - May 27th, 2012

• Latashababygirl Amateur 15 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    36. Apr 13, 2012 8:08 AM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Welcome to the new members, so exciting to see so many people on board. I completed week 1 day 2 yesterday and it was a little harder than day one because I was sore from day 1. I also burned about 10 more calories than day 1, so far I am not doing anything on my off days because I dont want to burn myself out but we shall see how tomorrow goes along with my weekly weigh in.

C25K-Week 1 Completed

C25K-We ek 2 Completed

C25K-Week 3 Completed

C25K-Week 4 Completed

C25K-Week 5

C25K-Week 6

C25K-Week 7

C25K-Week 8

C25K-Week 9

• XYankeeInMS Expert 42 posts since
    Aug 6, 2009
    37. Apr 13, 2012 8:45 AM (in response to Latashababygirl)
    Starting in April!

I did C25K two and a half years ago and I absolutely loved it.  It was the biggest factor in me successfully stopping smoking after 25+ years. However, I went through divorce, injury, surgery, insomnia and a toxic relationship over the past year or so and I stopped running and started gaining weight (I'm at least 30 pounds heavier now).  I'm finally injury-free (for the most part) and out of the bad relationship and into a great one and totally ready to be a runner again.  I am ahead of most of y'all, I did W5D1 yesterday, and like every day of the past 4 weeks of runs, I came home sweaty, breathless and estatic!

I joined a forum last time and found the support of the other newbies to be so very helpful.

Stick with it, it works.  If you are having shin or knee pain, check out Chi Running or the Pose Method.  Both are great for taking the stress off of your joints that is caused by heel-striking. 

Be vigilant about what you eat, especially at first!  Going from not working out to running can cause a huge increase in your appetite, along with the temptation to think "I ran so I DESERVE this bowl of ice cream" Sadly, it doesn't work that way.  I'm lucky because running in Mississippi heat (it's already been in the 80s here) kills my appetite for several hours after I get back.  I just have to concentrate on good nutrition the rest of the day. 

I'm looking forward to following everyone's progress and hearing all about this adventure we are sharing!

I saw this on Facebook and I had to steal it:

NEWPHONEPICS.png

Happy Running All!

http://shewhorunsamok.blogspot.com/

"It doesn't get easier, you just get stronger"

C25K - July 27 - September 23, 2009

C25K - started again on March 22, 2012

• xbritnex Amateur 12 posts since
    Apr 13, 2012
    38. Apr 13, 2012 9:08 AM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

I started on the 11th! Today is day 2 I have played competitive soccer all my life and even into college. I have always weighed about 135. I am 21 and i love to eat, but I was exercising so much from soccer it didnt matter. I broke my ankle and had to have surgery on it right before nationals of my last year of college soccer. So on top of soccer being over I also couldnt exercise because of my ankle. Then once i was able to start exercising again it was too late. I was too out of shape to want to do anything. I now weigh 175 and I hate it. I have never liked just straight running even when i had to for soccer, but i have always wanted to love it. So hopefully by doing this program I can start on my path to losing 40 lbs and begin to love running in the process.

Apr 13, 2012
    39. Apr 13, 2012 9:27 AM (in response to TrishFahey)
    Starting in April!

Yes do it agin with us. If you don't think your in shape enough to run 3 miles straight then definietly do it again. Its better than sitting on the couch. And after you finish the 5k training program move onto a 10k training program. This is what I plan to do. There is no point in stopping. I think there are even 8k training prorams out there. I have a post on her already about my story so go check it out. Do the program again. you will be so happy you did. And don't stop after your race. I dont even think i plan on racing after im done. I just want to love running and lose weight. Maybe your problem is you arent doing it for the right reasons. If you keep stopping maybe you are just doing it to say you have accomplished something which is totally ok, but you should have other reasons as well. Like you want to stay healthy, you want to love running, you want to lose weight. If your sole motivation is to see if you can finish the race then you arent going to stick with it because as you have experienced once you have accomplished what you have set out to accomplish you will think your done and stop.

• TrishFahey Pro 146 posts since
    Mar 28, 2010
    40. Apr 13, 2012 12:21 PM (in response to xbritnex)
    Starting in April!

Well you make such good points I am going to try it again. Also, not to do a race, but to JUST DO IT!  It will be fun to be part of such an active group.  Good luck to all!

Trish the Dish

Started C25K on 4/12/2010 Graduated 6/20/2010

First 5k June 20th Fathers Day Prostate Cancer Run Finished 40:31

First 10k September 19th Omaha Corporate Cup Run Finished 89.06

5k Memorial Park Turkey Trot 11/24/11 Finished 38:54 :-)

• Mamatotwoboys Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 13, 2012
    41. Apr 13, 2012 7:55 PM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

I'd like to jump in. I'm 31 and about 165 lbs. I have two small children and will be doing much of the program on a treadmill at my gym while my kids are in the child care. Eventually I plan to get outside at least once a week because I do plan to run a 5k. I started at the beginning of the month.

I just did w2d2 today. I tried doing the c25k program once before but didn't get in too far to it. I wonder if I pushed myself too hard during the jogging intervals back then. This time I am taking it pretty easy so I can build up and not discourage myself.

I have been steadily losing weight since having my second son 14 months ago. It has been about 4 years since I weighed this little. I think it is awesome that several people here at parents and committed to being active, healthy people! My husband claims that if I get to the point that I can run 1.5 miles straight that he will be forced to get back into running myself since he "has always been a better runner" than me. (That is true for distance but I could always kick his butt in a sprint.)

I plan to sign up for a 5k. There is one on June 3 and another on July 4. I am leaning towards the one in July to give myself some padding on the timing and also time to increase speed. The website for the June one specified that participants only get 45 minutes to finish and the time restriction makes me nervous....

• DEBIWHIT Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 14, 2012
    42. Apr 14, 2012 6:25 AM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Hey All you April Runners!  I heard about C25K from a friend who is a runner.  I have always wanted to try running, but I am terrible at it!  Started last night, I thought I was going to drop dead, but as you can tell, I managed to keep alive!  Did it with a friend who is a little younger, a lot more in shape, and half way through she looked as though she was barely working up a sweat.  She was good to me though.  Gave me the motivation to push through!  We ended up doing 35 mins--not on purpose!  My right hip is killing me today and my left achilles!  I think I'm whining!   Really, really want to do this.....! My sneakers are nike running of some sort...had them for about 6 years--not ever used for running though---probably should get some new ones...any suggestions?  Not spending more than $100!  Thanks and best wishes for success to you all!

• Latashababygirl Amateur 15 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    43. Apr 14, 2012 9:34 AM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Hey everyone, checking in to report that I completed week 1 day 3 today and week 2 day 1 starts on Tuesday for me. I do have a question, do any of you increase the speed each week, I'm still trying to decide because I do not want to burn myself out. Right now I walk at 3.5 and jog at 4, should i increase to 4 and 4.5 or continue at the pace that I am going?

C25K-Week 1 Completed

C25K-We ek 2 Completed

C25K-Week 3 Completed

C25K-Week 4 Completed

C25K-Week 5

C25K-Week 6

C25K-Week 7

C25K-Week 8

C25K-Week 9

Apr 13, 2012
    44. Apr 14, 2012 9:43 AM (in response to DEBIWHIT)
    Starting in April!

I don't really know anything about running shoes. Someone else who does hopefully will post a response. However, I do know that you should go to a specialty running store to get there opinion on which shoes to buy. They will measure your feet and your arches, tell you if you pronate overpronate or are normal. They will have you run for them also. There is a lot more that goes into running shoes than you think. They will give you different selections of which shoes are best then you can test them out for youself and decide which ones you like best. If you tell them right off the bat that you don't want to spend more than 100 dollars they will find you shoes that are under that amount. I have just found this out over the past week while starting the program and researching a lot. I have never had this done before, but I don't have the money to spend on new shoes right now anyways. Most shoes I have found are a little under 100 or a little above 100. If you are serious about running though investing in a great pair of shoes will save you from injury and heartache. The good thing is once you have found the shoes you want you dont have to get remeaured you can just keep repurchasing those shoes unless they eventually get discontinued. Oh and another tip. When you going to get measured bring you old running shoes because they can look at where the wear is and it will help them determine what shoes you need. I hope I helped and good luck with the program!!! I am only on day 3 so your not that far behind me!

1 2 3 4 5 ... 13 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...