Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

25674 Views 182 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2012 9:25 PM by SingingPilgrim RSS Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 Previous Next
  • irulan Amateur 23 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    75. Apr 20, 2012 8:08 AM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Wow, everybody is doing so well!!

Finished week 3 today... bring on week 4!!!

«« irulan »»

...let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. -- Hon. Jack Layton

C25K Start Date: April 1st, 2012

Next Race: Toronto Women's 5K - May 27th, 2012

• jenny99779 Rookie 6 posts since
    Aug 8, 2010
    76. Apr 20, 2012 3:21 PM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Can I join the group?  I've just finished Week one, and dreading the bump up to the longer run in week 2!!  I did the program a few years ago and it was great, but like others here, once I finished, I went back to my old ways.  NOT a good thing! 

I'm a 46 year old working mom, 165 pounds at 5'2"...not a good scene!  I wasn't sure that I would be able to run the 60 seconds of week one, but I did - felt good!  But I know that the support is crucial.  I've enjoyed reading others' posts, and look forward to being part of the group!

Canadian Jen

• victoria75 Amateur 40 posts since
    Apr 10, 2012
    77. Apr 20, 2012 11:41 PM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

My week 3 is done too! feel pretty good about week 4, ill get through it even if its hard.  so- the rest of you that are also doing this for weightloss- hows that going? at first i thought i was gonna lose pretty quickly, because i dropped 5 lbs, but nothing since.. when will the weight loss start!!? When i used to be in shape, running always made me lose..im a little frustrated. I am doing this adn walking for an hour on the other days

• em1981 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 21, 2012
    78. Apr 21, 2012 12:54 AM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

I'm going to be starting my first day tomorrow, I've heard a lot about this and thought I'd give it a go. I'm a total non runner so i'm a little worried about what might happen tomorrow... Shall give it my best and hopefully I shall actually enjoy myself!

• irulan Amateur 23 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    79. Apr 21, 2012 5:38 AM (in response to jenny99779)
    Starting in April!

Welcome aboard, Jen and Em!  I've never been one to enjoy physical activity so for a while I was convinced I would struggle, but so far there hasn't been a run I've regretted and tomorrow I start week 4.

Victoria - tbh, since I started on April 1st I have only lost one measly pound.  From what I've read around the boards, this is common.  Weight loss is slow on this program (possibly due to your body replacing fat with muscle), but it does happen.  Have you taken your measurements? You may have still lost inches - my jeans now start to fall down if I put my keys or phone in my pocket, but I haven't lost any more weight LOL

«« irulan »»

...let us be loving, hopeful, and optimistic. And we will change the world. -- Hon. Jack Layton

C25K Start Date: April 1st, 2012

Next Race: Toronto Women's 5K - May 27th, 2012

• SRB2012 Amateur 20 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    80. Apr 21, 2012 6:45 AM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Canadian Jen-I'm in a similar boat.  I'm 5'1" and right before I started this program I was at 155-my highest non-preggo weight EVER. I am 40 and also a working mom of two-a 4 year old daughter and a 1-year old son.  Finding the time to do this program has been my biggest challenge so far, but I'm going to finish up week 2 today (or tomorrow if the rain doesn't stop here in Kentucky).  The bump up to week 2 wasn't difficult at all and I'm actually looking forward to the bump to week 3 (as long as my knees hold out)!

Welcome to all the other new folks too!

Shelley

• amyontherun Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 21, 2012
    81. Apr 21, 2012 7:06 AM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Hi Everyone,

I would really love to connect with a community as well.  I started running today, after reading " The Courage to Start" by John Bingham.  Those of you who have stopped and started, please read this book!  I always felt like I didn't have a runners body, so why even bother.  I'm awkward, have big flat feet, knock knees, and asthma.  His position is that you only need to run to be a runner.

My history is this:  I would start out on an exercise program, with lofty goals.  I bought a pass to Zumba thinking I would do that 3 days a week and exercise in between.  I still have many punches left on that Zumba card.  My plan was always ot start my dedicated effort tomorrow, since today I screwed up.  I have gotten used to failing.

I ran today for the first time, and made it halfway around the track.  So every day I am going to run, as far as I can and hopefully farther than the day before.  I need to make sure that running begins to be fun, and that it is not something I dread doing.  There is a time and place to push yourself.  In short, I am doing it differently this time.

I hope you all will consider giving yourself a break too.

I weigh 210 pounds, the most I have ever weighed.  But today I am a runner because I decided to run.

• angelayc Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 21, 2012
    83. Apr 21, 2012 8:26 AM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Hello All! I JUST completed my first run this morning! I am a 41-year-old wife and mother of 4. I've been playing at exercising off and on for probably the past 15 years, but never took it seriously until recently. I've been thinking about running for a while, and I'd come across this site a few months ago. As I was vegging out this morning, I decided to get up and go running. I bought new shoes in January (resolutions, anyone?) and my husband bought me the Nike + sensor. I did a 3-mile walk about a month ago, and then got too busy. The shoes have been back in the box and I've been gaining more weight. I have so many unopened exercise videos (VHS and DVD) as well as a yoga mat and boxing gloves. I get excited, get started, then stop. I even bought games for the Wii (Zumba, Michael Jackson Experience, Just Dance, etc.), but I always find an excuse to quit. That ends today. Good luck, everyone! I look forward to reading about everyone's progress!

Angela

• Melynda2012 Amateur 9 posts since
    Apr 10, 2012
    84. Apr 21, 2012 9:13 AM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Welcome to the newcomers!  I'm starting Week 3 on Monday, and what has keep me going is the support on this site.  Knowing that I'm not the only one huffing and puffiing and doing my best to complete C25K.  Just keep moving and good luck!

• TrishFahey Pro 146 posts since
    Mar 28, 2010
    85. Apr 21, 2012 9:17 AM (in response to amyontherun)
    Starting in April!

Amy...thanks to you I looked up your book and have ordered it from Amazon.Being the one here who cannot seem to stick to it after trying c25k twice and graduating....I am excited to read it and make running a part of my life and not an item to cross off a to do list. Thanks Amy

Trish the Dish

Started C25K on 4/12/2010 Graduated 6/20/2010

First 5k June 20th Fathers Day Prostate Cancer Run Finished 40:31

First 10k September 19th Omaha Corporate Cup Run Finished 89.06

5k Memorial Park Turkey Trot 11/24/11 Finished 38:54 :-)

• xbritnex Amateur 12 posts since
    Apr 13, 2012
    86. Apr 21, 2012 9:57 AM (in response to victoria75)
    Starting in April!

Like Irulan said don't worry so much about the weight, it's the inches that matter. Since starting 2 weeks ago I have lost about 5 lbs. I don't know how old you are, but that also might be a foctor in not losing weight that fast. I am 21 so it is pretty easy for me to lose weight consistently when I actually try to. I also don't know what you eating has been like, but that plays a huge role in whether you will lose weight or not. Just exercising alone isnt going to make you lose weight, you have to watch what you eat as well. Good Luck!

• Latashababygirl Amateur 15 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    87. Apr 21, 2012 10:56 AM (in response to xbritnex)
    Starting in April!

Happy to see more people joining us and way to go to everyone who has completed another week and is on to the next week. I completed week day 3 today whoooo hoooooooo. Each time its harder even within the same week but I love it because that means I have to push myself and am building endurance. I was definitely sweating and panting a little more during the 90 sec joggging. Almost afraid of week 3 but not enough to stop me from trying. One thing I find is that because each week you are walking/jogging longer intervals the reps are shorter so while in week 1 you may have had 6 reps all together as the weeks go by the reps are shorter because you are going longer. So that is how I try to look at it and when I am close to those last 5 minutes for the cool down I feel relief that I am almost done. KEEP PUSHING EVERYONE!!! Also if anyone is on myfitnesspal.com feel free to add me latashababygirl, I'm sure we can use all the motivation in the world.

C25K-Week 1 Completed

C25K-We ek 2 Completed

C25K-Week 3 Completed

C25K-Week 4 Completed

C25K-Week 5

C25K-Week 6

C25K-Week 7

C25K-Week 8

C25K-Week 9

• Anchun Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 20, 2012
    88. Apr 21, 2012 11:56 AM (in response to nikita138)
    Re: Starting in April!

Hi Guys ,

I am 25 . 5' 7'' and weight 72 Kgs . Even though i had the habit of walking long distances , running had been my achilles heel as i run pretty fast initially itself and burnout soon . 

Entered my week 2 today ...covered 3 Kms (2 miles ) in cycles of 90 seconds jogging and 2 minutes walking.Pretty busy week ahead .hope i complete my week 2

• SRB2012 Amateur 20 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    89. Apr 21, 2012 1:56 PM (in response to nikita138)
    Starting in April!

Completed Week 2 Day 3 today. Like everyone, proud and excited, but anxious about next week.  I'm going to look up The Courage to Start.  I love the last line of your post, Amyontherun!

Shelley

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...