Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1490 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 16, 2012 7:10 PM by Rangermom06 RSS
VanessaPadilla Rookie 1 posts since
Feb 15, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 12, 2012 10:45 AM

First time half marathon?

I just recently finished the couch to 5 k program, and my first 5k is in a little over two weeks. I am feeling great and really excited for the race! I am still kinda new at this but currently I am at 15-20 miles a week running 4/5 times a week just depending on my schedule. I would really like to do a half marathon and was wondering if January of 2013 is too soon or if it is a realistic goal? I'm not looking to break records just get across the finish line.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. Apr 12, 2012 4:11 PM (in response to VanessaPadilla)

I would recommend doing a lot of races and following a structured training plan for a LR schedule.  For example, 8K, and many 10K or 15K events before thinking about the half.  Honestly, the Jan. goal depends on many factors that mostly relate to your fitness level and training routine.  The half is more demanding than expected, even to just finish.  When you complete your first 5k, think about doing that exact 5k route four more times (plus one more mile) and see what type of mental and physical picture that produces in terms of future preparation.  Then you will have a better idea of the challenges. 

Wishing you all the best and many happy miles!

• Swebb0310 Amateur 21 posts since
    Apr 8, 2012
    2. Apr 12, 2012 4:39 PM (in response to VanessaPadilla)

I too am starting to train for a half marathon. I haven't run longer than a 5k before either. I am planning on doing the Disney princess half marathon in January. I found a training plan by Jeff Galloway and I think it has a lot of great advice for people just moving to the longer distance. His method of run/walk/run has really helped me decrease my overall pace.  Here is the link:

http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/media/ewwos/pdf/rundisney/Galloway/Princess12HALFbeg.pdf

Good luck!

• MarcusB092 Amateur 75 posts since
    Jul 28, 2007
    3. Jul 7, 2012 9:53 PM (in response to VanessaPadilla)

15-20 mile sa week? You should be doing 15-20 mile runs even if your milage is low. It takes time but you actually got to go out and try to run as long as you can for a while. If you can already handle 20 a week you can at least start off at 8-9 mile runs and start working up now.  ANd yes you can do it by Janurary but probably can't predict how fast you will be able to run it because you didn't do those distances yet. It would probably be like 2:05-2:40 Im guessing .

• kfish1987 Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 23, 2012
    4. Oct 15, 2012 6:43 PM (in response to VanessaPadilla)

I am doing the couch to 5K right now.  I couple of my friends did the San Francisco Woman's Marathon this last weekend and I am motivated to train for that next year.  I have purchased training apps for the 10K and the 1/2 Marathon.  Based on the information that I read, you have to at least to a long run to build your endurance at least once a week.  As I work full time and have two kids with multiple after school activities, my long runs will probably be during the weekends.  My husband will have to step up for the weekend activities.  

• Rangermom06 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 16, 2012
    5. Oct 16, 2012 7:10 PM (in response to kfish1987)

Hey I would def recommend jumping on a schedule for a half marathon... I have been running for alittle over 10 years now but I am a single mom now and trying to qualify for Boston... We are capable of so much:) I got my very 1st half schedule from Runners World of course and just followed it.... Check out my running blog for any additional info you may want and of course some inspiration!  Happy Running to ya!

http://stephaniechasingboston.blogspot.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points