Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

552 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 17, 2012 2:20 AM by ydiez RSS
PrincessO Rookie 5 posts since
Apr 2, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 13, 2012 2:26 PM

Runner's injuries

Hey all

I have tried running for several years with little sucess.  Last year while training for 13.1 I injured my left ankle.  Last week I injured my right ankle.  Have new and improved shoes for support.  1st run was in city streets, this time it is on a treadmill.  Injury did not show up for a few days.  Any suggestion on how to strength my ankles AND run.  Want to do 10k in July and official training begins at the end of this month.  HELP, please.  Thanks.

Ofelia.

• ydiez Pro 122 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Apr 17, 2012 2:20 AM (in response to PrincessO)
    Runner's injuries

I am not a doctor nor a physiotherapist, and maybe it would not be a bad idea to go see one if your problem is persistent.

Once said that, I have also experienced many ankle problems while running. In my case the problem came from having played handball for a long time (not exactly an ankle-friendly sport) and from sustaining a nasty injury (went for a ball against a really "big" guy while playing basketball and our combined weights ended up destroying my left soleum).

What finally did the trick for me (my main problem where ankle sprains) was to strengthen my ankles before going running. I spend quite a long time of the track, swimming and doing exercises similar to the ones in this video. I did run for some time with an ankle orthosis, but looking back at it I do not think it was a good idea. It got the fear out of getting back on track, but the truth is that I finally ended up having a minor sprain while wearing it, so it was not really all that useful. Moreover, it was not until I left it at home that my ankle started getting back to full performance.

Nowadays I can run 30-35 miles a week without problems (and have been running without ankle injuries for three full years now). I do, however, look after my ankles: I stretch them dynamically before running and statically after and let them rest if they get a bit "too tired".

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points