Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

568 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2012 5:42 PM by PrincessO RSS
PrincessO Rookie 5 posts since
Apr 2, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 13, 2012 3:12 PM

Runner's injuries

Hey all

I have tried running for several years with little sucess.  Last year while training for 13.1 I injured my left ankle.  Last week I injured my right ankle.  Have new and improved shoes for support.  1st run was in city streets, this time it is on a treadmill.  Injury did not show up for a few days.  Any suggestion on how to strength my ankles AND run.  Want to do 10k in July and official training begins at the end of this month.  HELP, please.  Thanks.

Ofelia.

• Guayquilwriter Legend 511 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Apr 13, 2012 3:32 PM (in response to PrincessO)
    Runner's injuries

Here are a couple of thoughts -

First the injuries themselves - are they similar or different? Are they over use injuries or something else (stumbling or...)???

Also are you running too fast? Many times such injuries are a result of the body being pushed too far without enough time to recover, or at too fast an increase in speed or mileage the body cannot adapt. Remember, the cardiovascular system develops and improves much faster than the skeletal and muscular system. Simply because your heart and lungs are ready for the work does not mean your bones and muscles are. One of the greatest lessons I had to learn is to slow down and run at a pace I thought was ridiculously slow, but I got the work in and finished my race, and my speed and distance did pick up.

As far as injuries and training - one of the key things is try as much as you can to keep working on your aerobic conditioning even if your running is limited. maybe you can't run, but maybe you can bike, or run in a pool, or something...??? That way when you can run again you will not have lost quite as much.

Good luck!

OVER 50 PRs

5K - 31:50 5K La Joya 2011 - Aug 2011

10K - 1:14:30 at Guayaquil Half Marathon - Jul 2011

Half - 2:32:22 at Guayaquil Marathon - Oct 2011

2012 Races

InterAmerican Family Fun Run (5k) 36:04 (Previous Year 39:22)

Emelec 5K 33:16

Upcoming Races

15 June - 5K Ciudad Celeste

22 June 5K por los Ninos

1 July - Guayaquil Half Marathon

5 August - 5K La Joya

2 September - 30K Milagro

7 October - Guayaquil Marathon

18 November - 5K Villa Club

2 December - 5K DM3

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...