Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2927 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2012 12:36 PM by VeggieChick81 RSS
VeggieChick81 Pro 130 posts since
Jan 28, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 16, 2012 2:12 PM

Normal pace slowing down at peak of Marathon training normal?!

I've been very annoyed with myself that on my last few shorter runs (5-8 miles) my pace has crept up to 9:00 miles, even though my perceived level of exertion would have me guessing I'm still at my regular 8:30 pace. I am wondering if I'm focusing on hills too much, or if this what happens when you increase your mileage. Call me crazy but I would have assumed the more you do something, the better at it you'd get.

Another worry I have is this training week only calls for three five milers and a nineteen miler. Ive been doing two five milers with an eight miler in between the two. What's the rhyme or reason to drop the 8? Just to gear me for 19?? Seems strange because the week I did 18 miles I still had an 8 miler.

Thank you for putting up with my OCD questions ;) after watching the runners tough out the heat of Boston Marathon today, I just want to be as prepped as possible...with fingers crossed Vermont doesn't get a heat wave like this next month!!

"If you don't run you rust" - Tom Petty

• ydiez Pro 122 posts since
    Nov 7, 2011

I have not trained for a full marathon yet, so take my advice with caution, but a similar thing happened to me while training for my first half.

Suddenly I experienced real difficulty keeping up the pace I had no trouble keeping the week before. In the end the whole thing just "went away" after a few days. I guess your body needs to adjust to the new level of efforts and some days (or even weeks) it is just not at its best.

Current PB:

5k: 20:12 (December 31st 2012)

10k : 42:30 (March 9th 2014)

Half Marathon: 1:35:27 (February 3rd 2013)

After completing my 10th HM it's marathon time. To be totally honest now it's recovery time due to an ankle injury, THEN I'll think about the Marathon.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

Your body gets tired during the cycle and for me it's a point during my cycle where I am just ready to start my taper usually about  6-7 weeks out.  Every workout needs to have a purpose some of them are just recovery runs where slow is good, others have pace involved where you need to hit your pace.  My guess is you are just in the doldrums of the plan, you will be fine.  You do not need to be running hills everyday!  I tend to get higher heart rates during this period also, one other factor may be the added heat, your runs are going to be harder when it's hot and humid.  I tend to have a bad period every cycle somewhere as I stated usually before my taper.  Be sure you taper when it comes time, this is another time in my cycle I don't do well with.  But it is important!  Good luck

• runazrun Amateur 16 posts since
    Sep 10, 2008

Your "perceived" level of exertion can be misleading and can vary from run to run.  A heart rate monitor will be more accurate in telling you your true exertion.  You may think you are running normally but your heart rate may be much lower than normal.

Also, your training plan, as all will, has a rest week for you.  You should have a lower mileage week every 3-4 weeks.  Just gives you a break instead of building mileage all the time.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

Watch that you don't do to much, it's a fine line from right amount to injury or overtraining.  1st marathon do not worry that much about your goal time!

• tami03 Rookie 7 posts since
    Oct 11, 2007

Thans, Veg, for asking this question.  I have often wondered if I would be able to run after feeling this way; especially, after all that training.  With that being said, I am training for my 4th marathon (it could technically be labeled as my 2nd, since my last two were bummers).  I'm posit to run in Nice, France, 4Nov for my 45th birthday.  I don't plan on starting my training till end of May.  I have been running half marathons every month.  I have one in Munich 6May.  I'm thinking about using the Jeff Gallaway walk/run so I can get 4:20-4:30 on this one.  This would be a success for me!

Has anyone used the Jeff Gallaway plan that can prepare me for what could happen?  Did it work?  How did your training go?  You have to run/walk over 26 miles in the plan.  What has been your issues with this?

Really want to know,

Tami 

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011

I am not certain what plan your are following, but I agree with the suggestions of others to increase the LR schedule with an adequate taper time.  Really, training schedules should be highly individualized because the same system does not work for everyone, so it is more important to discover your best level of preparation than to worry about following a strict, generic outline.  Follow your own instincts, and I would continue to focus on distance as opposed to speed.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,373 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

VeggieChick81 wrote:

I've been very annoyed with myself that on my last few shorter runs (5-8 miles) my pace has crept up to 9:00 miles, even though my perceived level of exertion would have me guessing I'm still at my regular 8:30 pace. I am wondering if I'm focusing on hills too much, or if this what happens when you increase your mileage. Call me crazy but I would have assumed the more you do something, the better at it you'd get.

Another worry I have is this training week only calls for three five milers and a nineteen miler. Ive been doing two five milers with an eight miler in between the two. What's the rhyme or reason to drop the 8? Just to gear me for 19?? Seems strange because the week I did 18 miles I still had an 8 miler.

Thank you for putting up with my OCD questions ;) after watching the runners tough out the heat of Boston Marathon today, I just want to be as prepped as possible...with fingers crossed Vermont doesn't get a heat wave like this next month!!

Your problem with slowing on your weekday runs may be related to doing your longs runs too fast, which was discussed in another thread.  Something to consider.

The 8-miler during your 18-mile week was just an everyday run.  The 5-miler during the 19-mile week was a "pace" run.  The same is true on your 20-mile week.  These seem like minor differences but they're designed to round out your training. 

This plan may or may not be ideal for you.  It is designed to work reasonably well for almost everybody.  With experience you will have a better idea of what works and what doesn't and you will know better what changes to make to accommodate your own training needs.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...