Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

628 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2012 4:37 PM by VeggieChick81
VeggieChick81 Pro 130 posts since
Jan 28, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 18, 2012 10:12 AM

how many miles do you like on your sneakers and/or insoles before Marathon day?

Just wondering if any one knows the optimal amount of mileage your sneakers for race day?

Five weeks away from race day I have 100 miles on this pair that I just bought in the end of March. I'm using the same "super feet" insoles from my previous pair of shoes that probably had about 350+ miles on them (I wasn't keeping good track of miles the month of so before my official training started) So that means my insoles could have up to 500 miles on them... I was told at my running store they should keep for the duration of two pairs of sneakers... but I'm wondering if it would be smart to get a new pair to break in during my taper period (I've heard you need to break insoles in slowly with short runs...perfect for the taper period, right??)

As far as sneakers go... I am thinking I will my sneakers will have about 250 miles on them come race day. I know the shoes won't be shot by then, but will my body benefit with a pair of shoes with say, only 20 miles on them?

"If you don't run you rust" - Tom Petty

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

I don't run in insoles so not sure for them, shoes I like to have around 100-150.  250 is not to much but if you are getting new shoes get them now and start running in them.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011

I agree with the suggestions from BOSNPM, and actually I would go ahead with the new shoes and insoles.  Also, do you have several different pairs of running shoes that your have been alternating out during training?  I would not recommend 250 miles of wear for marathon day (300-500 is the max), but the interior levels of the shoes have already starting breaking down and may not provide the ultimate support/cushion that you need over the long haul. 

If you get new shoes and inserts right away, then rotate them out with the older pair throughout your taper period, so that the new pair is at the best performance for race day.  Also, you are not placing strain on the same areas of your feet, legs and body over and over again.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...