Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7319 Views 55 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2012 3:37 PM by terrykay79 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Latashababygirl Amateur 15 posts since
    Apr 9, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Apr 23, 2012 8:22 AM (in response to Padvali)
    Starting C25k today, who wants to join in?

Hello everyone and WTG on starting C25K, just wanted to let you all know there is a large group of us who started in April in this thread http://community.active.com/message/1197418#1197418. Feel free to join in on discussions or ask questions, so cool to have so many people doing C25K, really helps with motivating anyone. I'm also on myfitnesspal.com if anyone would like to add me (latashababygirl)

C25K-Week 1 Completed

C25K-We ek 2 Completed

C25K-Week 3 Completed

C25K-Week 4 Completed

C25K-Week 5

C25K-Week 6

C25K-Week 7

C25K-Week 8

C25K-Week 9

• terrykay79 Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 23, 2012
    16. Apr 23, 2012 9:02 AM (in response to Padvali)

Hi!

Just started my first run today (23rd)! Found out about it from a friend on facebook who started today so downloaded the app last night and dusted off the shoes this morning!

I had started running 5 years ago or so but think I started off too heavily and trouble with my hips put me off.. Completed my first day and it went great!

Terry

• Finali Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 23, 2012
    17. Apr 23, 2012 9:36 AM (in response to Padvali)

Hi there,

I too started the c25k today, having never run before in my life (I'm 42 now).

My best friend has suffered with MS for the past 20 years and has put on a considerable amount of weight over the last few years (I've put a fair chunk on too). HOWEVER, she is taking delivery of a hand bike on Friday which has been designed especially for her, so she can get fitter and more active (she has 2 children under 10). She is determined to better herself and wants to do the Great North Run next year. So, I have said that I will learn how to run so I can do it with her (TERRIFIED!), I uploaded the app and W1D1 complete - phew! Wasn't as bad as I thought but I was glad of the rest after the minute was up.

I keep thinking that if my friend can (and does) routinely overcome a million physical challenges, I can SURELY learn to run in order to support her... fingers crossed...

• ShannahM Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 23, 2012
    18. Apr 23, 2012 11:48 AM (in response to Padvali)

I'm starting today as well! I'm a former firefighter/medic turned stay at home mom that used to work out everyday (but never a runner) until my pregnancy with my now 20 month old daughter put me on bedrest and between the baby blues and everything else that comes with a new little one I never got back to excercise. I'm scared to death that I'm so out of shape that I won't be able to do this.

• nyla100 Expert 59 posts since
    Jul 23, 2009
    19. Apr 23, 2012 11:38 PM (in response to Padvali)

So happy to see this thread as I am also starting this week! I'm a C25K repeat offender, having started and stopped the program more than once. Last fall I started run/walk training with a local group, and successfully finished 2 half marathons and the LA Marathon going at a 4 min run/1 min walk pace. But I haven't done anything in over a month, and am feeling myself falling back into a pit of inactivity and sluggishness. I would love to try C25K again, and am hoping to stay motivated this time in building up to running non-stop.  Even in my failed attempts, I felt I learned a lot about what to do...and especially what not to. I'm hoping to take those lessons this time around and finish C25K once and for all. I'm looking forward to tracking everyone's progress here and sharing support and encouragement. Good luck to everyone as you start this week!

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

Steve Prefontaine

• terrykay79 Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 23, 2012
    20. Apr 24, 2012 7:27 AM (in response to Padvali)

So hows everyone doing after their first days? I've got a few aches in places I've not ached in for a while.. So much so I decided to rest my legs and walk to walk instead of my usual cycle!

W1D2 currently planned for Thursday after I drop my girl off at nursery and before work.. Fingers crossed!

Terry

• 53andstartingnow Amateur 16 posts since
    Apr 22, 2012
    21. Apr 24, 2012 8:53 AM (in response to Padvali)

Woohoo! Got up and did Wk1 Day 2 before I had to go to work! I'm not a morning person so this was a big step! It was easier to do day 2 than day 1, but still was hard! But I felt really good afterwards! Will probably do day 3 tomorrow since I have early meetings on Thursday! Hope it is easier so starting Wk 2 Day 1 won't seem so bad. Upping the running time will be hard! Thanks everyone for your encouragement! I love reading the posts and it means a lot to me and helps to motivate me! I'm in it to finish! Can't wait to be in good enough shape to run a 5K! Keep up the good work everyone and don't quit!! DON'T QUIT!!

Janet F. (age 53)

NEBRASKA

Began C25K on April 22, 2012

Goal: Run 5K on Jun 9, 2012

1 2 D3 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

• 53andstartingnow Amateur 16 posts since
    Apr 22, 2012
    22. Apr 24, 2012 8:58 AM (in response to Finali)
    Re: Starting C25k today, who wants to join in?

I am so inspired by your story! I am a cancer survivor, have had diabetes for 23 years, am overweight, and lead a very sedentary life, so am getting off the couch and going to d a 5K in June, my first! Am going to cross it off my bucket list! Wish I had some folks like you to run with and motivate me! Love what you are doing for your friend! You have no idea what it must mean to her!

Finali wrote:

Hi there,

I too started the c25k today, having never run before in my life (I'm 42 now).

My best friend has suffered with MS for the past 20 years and has put on a considerable amount of weight over the last few years (I've put a fair chunk on too). HOWEVER, she is taking delivery of a hand bike on Friday which has been designed especially for her, so she can get fitter and more active (she has 2 children under 10). She is determined to better herself and wants to do the Great North Run next year. So, I have said that I will learn how to run so I can do it with her (TERRIFIED!), I uploaded the app and W1D1 complete - phew! Wasn't as bad as I thought but I was glad of the rest after the minute was up.

I keep thinking that if my friend can (and does) routinely overcome a million physical challenges, I can SURELY learn to run in order to support her... fingers crossed...

Janet F. (age 53)

NEBRASKA

Began C25K on April 22, 2012

Goal: Run 5K on Jun 9, 2012

1 2 D3 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

• TLHB70 Amateur 11 posts since
    Apr 25, 2012
    24. Apr 25, 2012 11:23 AM (in response to Padvali)
    Re: Starting C25k today, who wants to join in?

Hello.  I just found this site today and signed up for an account.  I learned about it from another site; some other runners suggest I check here.

My younger DD (age 13) and I started C25K on Monday, April 23.  That was our week 1, day 1.  Today is day 2 for us.  We were going to do our walk/jog  before school, but it was raining.  So we will do our day 2 after school, this afternoon.  I work out regularly, have gone through the whole P90X program.  However, I have NEVER been a runner.  My cardio has always been on an elliptical.  This is all new for me.  I am excited!  We went to a local sports store over the weekend.  They put us on treadmills and videotaped our feet.  Then they did a stride/gait analysis.  They recommended our shoes based on those.  I got the Mizuno Wave Riders.  DD got Nike Zoom....something....  So far, so good.  We have a long way to go, but we are determined to get through it!  I look forward to reading all of the posts here to get support and encouragement! 

Edited to add:  I am  homeschool mom, 41 years old.  DD hates PE and all things sports.  She knows she needs to do more physical activity so she is doing this with me. 

• kiik Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 25, 2012
    25. Apr 25, 2012 11:45 AM (in response to TLHB70)

Hi everyone! I started C25K on April 23 so it'll be great to do this with all of you! I am a 19 year old university student, and unfortunately I don't do very much exercise during the year. I used to run in middle/high school but it's been a long time and I was very sick a while ago so I'm pretty sure ALL of my endurance is gone... Now that I'm out of school for the summer I'm hoping I can get fit!

I did W1D1 on April 23 (Mon) and it went pretty well, I think I was running a bit too fast because I was definitely ready to be done by the end! I am doing W1D2 in a couple hours, although it's raining here and I don't really feel like it. Hopefully I'll be able to pace myself a bit better. I'm not sure if I'm going to do a Mon/Wed/Fri or an every other day routine, haven't quite decided yet. I'll probably update after I finish W1D2!

• MHP3 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 25, 2012
    26. Apr 25, 2012 2:42 PM (in response to Padvali)

Hi everyone! With my birthday having been on Sunday, I decided that I should start C25k (again) this week. I actually did the whole thing to completion about 6 years ago, and then again last fall, but then winter came, life and cold happened, and that was the end of that. So this time I'm hoping that I can do this, get to running the 3 miles, and then keep it that way! I did W1D1 today, and I'll finish the 3 days of W1 by the end of Saturday, and then get myself onto a good every other day / 3 days per week type schedule. I'm a second year vet student, so I just need to keep going even when I'm really busy. I'm really glad other people are doing this at the same time. It'll be exciting to read how everyone is doing and stay motivated that way!

C25K - started 4/25/12

• ValeriePile Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 3, 2012
    27. Apr 25, 2012 7:34 PM (in response to Padvali)

Hi everyone! Since about Feb I've been using the C25K. I really like it but I've been stuck on W6D2 for a long time now...the 20min run. I had surgery on my foot in March of 2011. I have a screw and a tightrope in it. Sometimes the weather gets in the way of a good run. Every once in a while I get discouraged feeling like I'm not making progress. Then I think back October when my surgeon released me to run....I couln't even jog for 20 seconds. It was bad. See...when I had my surgery, I lost my calf muscle in that leg. Gone. It was sorta freaky. I go to the hospital to have surgery with muscle, two weeks later they remove my boot and it's nothing but fat, skin and bones. Weirdest thing. So after thinking back to my first "run"....I can say, yes I have made progress.

I am doing my first 5k on May 5. I'm not going to be able to run all of it but it's a start. I'm doing another one in July...The Color Run. Anyone heard of it? Look it up...in 18 US cities. So excited.
    Good luck everyone!

• kiik Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 25, 2012
    29. Apr 25, 2012 11:31 PM (in response to Padvali)

Ok so I completed W1D2 this afternoon, although having to stop with my dog a couple times did interrupt the intervals (had to put her on a leash). I think my biggest problem is pacing myself. I tend to do fine until about the 5th interval and then I have no energy left. Does anyone else feel awkward running slow? When I slow down to accomodate my breathing, I find it very awkward and uncomfortable to jog that slowly. I guess as my cardio gets better that won't be as much of an issue.

Anyways looking forward to W1D3 on Friday! I'm honestly not sure whether or not I'll have to repeated Week 1 I'm so out of shape, but we'll see!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...