Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7214 Views 55 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2012 3:37 PM by terrykay79 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • Finali Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 23, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Apr 26, 2012 9:43 AM (in response to Padvali)
    Starting C25k today, who wants to join in?

In spite of the rain, I managed to complete day 2 yesterday :-) hooray! Plenty of puddle dodging and nearly soaked twice by cars aquaplaing though swimming pools of water, but I did it - and quicker than day 1 too. Feeling really tired today though. Hope all of you in the UK managed to find a little window of opportunity... Not quite mid 70's with a cool breeze in Lincolnshire Padvali but hope springs eternal...

• RunBetter Amateur 31 posts since
    Jan 7, 2012
    32. Apr 26, 2012 10:11 PM (in response to Padvali)

I never really did the C25K thing, and I am not really eligable seeing as I am a Varsity cross-country runner with a 17:40 PR in the 5k, but what I am reading here is very inspiring, and I wish you all the best of luck!

• TLHB70 Amateur 11 posts since
    Apr 25, 2012
    33. Apr 27, 2012 5:31 AM (in response to Padvali)
    Re: Starting C25k today, who wants to join in?

Well, DD and I did our week 1, day 2, on Wednesday.  DD had to stop about 22 minutes into it because her feet were hurting.  She said that she thinks it was those Footbalance Insoles, the arch support insoles, that we bought for her.  (http://www.trysports.com/product/product/98 )   She said it felt like something jabbing up into the middle of the bottom of her foot, like something was trying to force it to curl.  I told her to stop running once we went back past our house, about 22 minutes in, and I finished the rest of it without her.  Really she only missed one run segment.  She has taken the arch support insoles out of her shoes and put the regular Nike ones back in, the ones that come in the shoe.  She is going to try to do today's run with those and see how it goes.  I plan to take those Footbalance Insoles back to Try Sports tomorrow.  If her feet still  hurt that way today, then I will take the Nikes back to Try Sports tomorrow as well and get another pair of shoes.   I did fine on day 2.  As a matter of fact, I did not hear the beep/alert to start the 5 minute cool down so I ran some of it!  Once I noticed that my playlist went into a new song, I got a bit curious/concerned.  So I pulled out my iPhone to look at it.  It showed that there was a little over 2 minutes left in my cool down. So that means I ran a little over 2 minutes of my cool down time plus the 1 minute of my run segment.  That is over 3 minutes of running.  I was so encouraged by that!  Also, my shins did not hurt nearly as bad after this run.  Really they never did bother me at all while running.   I just noticed the pain after the run.  We stretched longer before and after the run Wednesday.  Plus I did some stretches that especially targeted the shins  Wednesday that I did not do on Monday.  I think that helped too.   DD's legs did not hurt at all on Wednesday!  It was just her feet.  So I think the extra stretching really helped.   We will see how today goes. 

I would like to say thanks for all of the posts here.  I cannot tell you how much it has helped and encouraged me!  I am so excited, and I am thrilled to say that! 

Apr 25, 2012
    34. Apr 27, 2012 12:34 PM (in response to Padvali)

We just completed week 1, day 3.  It was not a good run for me.  I took the Footbalance Insoles out, and I think that is what bothered me.  My knees are hurting now, and they have not hurt the other two days.  DD's feel still hurt on the run today, though not as bad.  I think we will go to Try Sports again and have them do another analysis on her stride/gait.  Maybe she needs another pair of shoes.  Or it could just be her body adjusting to the running.  It is not hurting her once she gets back inside the house.  They just hurt her while she is running.  My knees are hurting me now.  My shins started hurting during the run today; that has not happened before either.  I think the insoles must help me.  I will put them back in before my week 2, day 1 run on Monday.  I am glad I have the weekend to recover.

• 53andstartingnow Amateur 16 posts since
    Apr 22, 2012
    35. Apr 27, 2012 9:45 PM (in response to Padvali)

Got up at 6 and was out the door by 6:30 a.m. yesterday morning for Wk1 D3. It went really well. Not looking so forward to Wk2 D1 though, upping running time to 90 and walking to 60. But I can do it. I know it will be hard the first time though. Finished my 4th week of strength training today. I can see and feel muscles hard as rocks when I flex in my upper legs and butt. That's a great milestone!

Janet F. (age 53)

NEBRASKA

Began C25K on April 22, 2012

Goal: Run 5K on Jun 9, 2012

1 2 D3 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

• MHP3 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 25, 2012
    36. Apr 28, 2012 1:37 PM (in response to Padvali)

Happy weekend, everyone! I joined the finishing week 1 today, since I did D2 on Thursday, and D3 today. I'm looking forward to starting W2 and seeing how we all do with it. I also would love to do a Color Run. They sound like so much fun! Today I also tried yoga for the first time. I think the yoga was harder than the running! I'm hoping the stretching/strength part of yoga will help with running and feeling more comfortable with it. Does anyone do any cross training they really enjoy?

C25K - started 4/25/12

Apr 25, 2012
    37. Apr 29, 2012 1:05 PM (in response to MHP3)

I do some of my P90X videos on my days off.  I mainly enjoy the arms video, legs video, and yoga video.  I also do ab workouts with them.  I have considered doing my elliptical on those days also, but I have not tried that yet.  Before I started C25K, I did the elliptical 2 to 3 times a week and the videos 2 to 3 days a week.  I always did the elliptical on the interval program, and that helped me so much.  I have not done the elliptical since I started C25K.  However, I really do not think it would interfere with running since there is really no impact.   I might try to add it in again soon. 

Today we took DD's Nike shoes and Footbalance Insoles back to Try Sports.  The guy encouraged us to try a new pair of shoes.  He really thinks the foot pain came from the shoes, not the insoles.  It seems that the shoes were a little big.  She now has a pair of Saucony.  She will try them with the Footbalance Insoles this week and see what happens.

I am feeling better today.   My knees are not hurting; I am thankful for that.  I think I will be ready to go Monday morning.  I did buy one of those foam rollers today to help massage and loosen the muscles.  I also bought one of these:  http://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-05-58255-Stick-Self-Massager/dp/B00525X8ZW  

Apr 22, 2012
    38. Apr 29, 2012 8:59 AM (in response to Padvali)

Finished Wk2 Day1 today, not nearly as bad as I expected. It's hard to believe I could possibly be running 2 1/4 miles in 7 weeks....that's where I'll be when our local 5K is. Hope I can do it!

Janet F. (age 53)

NEBRASKA

1 2 D3 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

• mirlynn324 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 29, 2012
    39. Apr 29, 2012 2:26 PM (in response to Padvali)

So glad to have found this thread! I just started C25K this past Wednesday, and I just completed W1D2 about an hour ago.

My background is: I have never liked running but always admired those that could do it. I am hoping to get into better shape...I had a baby in July 2011 and could stand to lose a few lbs.

I snaggeed a jogging stroller at a consignment sale last weekend and I have some new sneakers all broken in!

Apr 25, 2012
    41. May 1, 2012 11:12 AM (in response to Padvali)

Hello everyone.

DD and I completed week 2, day 1, yesterday.  I did so much better on that run than I did on Friday's run.  I am so thankful!  DD's new shoes are better too.  I did not have any shin pain yesterday or today.  YEAH!  I did have a bit of knee ache yesterday right after the run, but there is none today. 
    I started Osteo Bi Flex yesterday.  Do any of you use that?  Have you noticed that it makes a difference in your run, soreness, etc.?

Apr 22, 2012
    43. May 2, 2012 8:50 AM (in response to Padvali)

Did Wk2 Day2 today. This is easier than I thought it would be. Helps to have told everyone on FB that I'm going to do this. Holds me accountable! I've had a cold for the past couple days, yesterday I lost my voice entirely! At least I can still run, even if I can't talk!

Janet F. (age 53)

NEBRASKA

1 2 D3 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

• terrykay79 Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 23, 2012
    44. May 3, 2012 1:25 AM (in response to Padvali)

Got up this morning at 7am to do Wk2D2 (I'm normally an 8am waker) and it seems to be getting harder! My shins and calves are screaming at the end of 90 seconds! Just glad I'm following this plan and didn't dive in like I did last time or I'd have given up by now!

Hopefully a few days rest and Wk2D3 on Sunday or Monday will be much easier!

Hope everyones doing well!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...