Skip navigation

4978 Views 54 Replies Latest reply: Apr 28, 2012 6:39 AM by mikegannon165 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • AmandaHerz Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 23, 2012

We participated in the 5K. Overall, I think it was just fine, but could be better organized. The Start area was crowded and confusing. The portapotties should probably have been lined up facing AWAY from a thru street. People waiting to use them ended up blocking traffic. We also were disappointed that although we preregistered and gave a size for t-shirts, we did not receive them. I thought the guy directing traffic for parking was a great idea! The Finish area was much more organized than the Start area.

• Shana Defnet Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 7, 2009

This was my first time running the Oshkosh Half and overall, I really enjoyed it!  The course was beautiful!

The start was a little rough - I had to do way too much weaving to get around walkers and slower runners, which was really frustrating for me.  Next year you should consider a wave start.  My first 3 miles were slow and I had a lot of making up to do during the second half of the race.

The t-shirts were okay; not very breathable.  I think they were made of polyester.  I wasn't too impressed. 

Yesterday was Earth Day and it was a reminder of how wasteful races are; the bag of junk that came with the t-shirts is totally wasteful and unnecessary.  I was also disappointed in the trash left behind by runners all over the amphitheatre area!  Perhaps more trash/recycling receptacles for next year would accomodate the large number of people.

• mbtc11 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 23, 2012

The race itself was fine.  But seriously?  No shirts/ bags/ handouts from all of your awesome sponsors?  This was a horribly run event.  This was the 4th half I've done, and the lousiest-run.  Spend some money and get some additional port-o-potties, and shirts that look wearable.  The design on the shirt?  Really?  Running on a beach - in Oshkosh, in April?  That's Ok-  I didn't get a shirt anyway, even though I signed up in February.  If I were a sponsor, I would be beyond irate that my name didn't get put on a shirt.

Consider eliminating race-day packet pickup altogether.  Nothing but chaos when you have a couple of thousand people trying to use the bathroom and pick up race packets at the same time.  All the other races I've done have you pick up packets the day before only.  We decided to save on gas and just wait until the morning.  Big mistake.  Pretty typical for Midwest Sports Events though-- never one to do anything but on the cheap.

• hlodonnell Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 10, 2009

1. There has to be a way to get the walkers to the back of the line.  Make announcements.  Have volunteers patrolling the starting line.  Do something.  Someone is going to to get run over or hurt.  This is a serious safety issue.  Not to mention, it is really annoying trying to weave around people who are out for a Sunday stroll when you are busting your butt for a PR.

2.  I agree with the comment about the bridge at the end of the race.  I had a (little) bit left in the tank and I would have liked to get around some people at that point in the race, but I was stuck because of the narrow sidewalk.  And the sharp right turn at the bottom of the hill was a little tough to negotiate.

3.  Great volunteers.  Aid stations were well staffed.  There was a little confusion sometimes about where the water was vs. the Gatorade.  The fruit station was awesome!

4.  My son had a blast at the kids race.  He loved that the race photographer was there and that he got a cool finishing photo.  Is there any way to schedule the kids race at the same time as the expo?  It was really inconvenient to have to drive in early Saturday morning so that he could run, and then drive back in again a few hours later to pick up our registration packets.  Either start the kids race later, or the expo earlier.

5.  The course was nice and well marked.  The intersections were well patrolled.  I wasn't a fan of the trail through the park.  It was muddy and narrow.  I had to slow down because I couldn't pass.  And I had to adjust my stride because I was nervous about the slippery footing.

• Monstey Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 28, 2012

This was my third half marathon race and this one was one of the better courses. It would have been nicer if the mile markers were more pronounced. They were sometimes hard to see and often missed. I was very disappointed that they ran out of t-shirts even though we preordered them. It seemed a little disorganized. It would have been better if done on a Saturday. It is hard to go to work on Monday without a day to recover. Overall, I would run this race again.

• jrreastern Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 16, 2011

Well run event with very nice people. Only issue was the mile markers were not clear, tipped over or plain not there. Need to be bigger and very obvious.

• adoptyourpet Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 27, 2009

Excellent course; well marked.  Don't know what happened with the shirts.  I went down on Saturday to pick mine up and there were none in my size even with advance registration.  I was told they were "being printed as we spoke" and to come to registration on Sunday to pick it up.  I went to the registration area on Sunday following the race (with many runners still coming in) and the building was locked.  Was redirected to a small table staffed by 2 fairly young girls surrounded by a lot of very angry people.  No shirts again.  Things happen in the best of situations and when it is this kind of thing, young volunteers should not be staffing areas that undoubtedly will have dissatisfied and angry customers. I would suggest in future situations that someone of authority staff these areas-not young volunteers.  I hope my entry fee did not pay for beer and that it was donated.  It is definitely not necessary for an event like this.  Wisconsin tradition?  Time to change that tradition.  Poor role modeling at minimum.  It would have been helpful to have the water/gatorade station on Taft Ave on the other side of the street.  Runners were in the lane across the street and the people at the table could not keep up.  They were trying to run to the appropriate lane with liquid spilling all over them and runners passing them by.  Is there anyway to widen the little foot bridge at northwest end of the cemetery?  Where were the massage areas following the race located?  Would it be possible to have a designated area to check car keys?  I live alone and ran in shorts/t-shirt so I had no place to safely hold my keys.  Overall, I think the most important parts of the event were well done.  The course was well marked, safe and without significant distraction.  The website and on-line registration were clear.  The pre-race pickup was disappointing w/ the shirt shortage and then wrong information given.  I thought post-race activities were a bit haphazard.  Thankfully the weather cooperated.  I like the event being on a Sunday.  Thank you for all of the efforts.

• ladyrunner84 Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I've run the Oshkosh Half Marathon three times, and although I like the course, I don't think I'll be running it next year. 

This race is run by Midwest Sports Events which seems to be choosing cheap over quality in all aspects of their races.  I used to love MSE events and am not a picky racer, but the t-shirts went from decent (although only men's sizes) to ridiculous.  The T from this year's race is unwearable;  it's unlike any other shirt I've seen.

The course signage was terrible: missing mile markers, a 10k sign at 6.5 miles in, numbers spray painted in the wrong places.

This is also the only relay I've ever seen that required runners to undo the safety pins of their bibs and transfer the actual bib to your next runner.  Very weird.

• Cristerna09 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 23, 2012

Went Saturday and got my shirt, no problems with registering.  However the shirts were UGLY.  will not wear it again.  Did not stay for anything after, not even free beer.  Bad tradition.  Dehydrated athletes should not be offered beer, and in the spirit of being healthy it should be obvious that it not be offered.  First 5k ever ran, course was well marked and went well. 

• manitowoc1 Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 31, 2012

There needs to be more direction and people around that you can go to to ask questions. I needed direction on where to park, the bathrooms were full up until race time, the start of the race was horrible and unsafe, there were no mileage markers for the 5K, then when I ended the race I couldn't get to my clothes that I left at the beginning of the race, then I wanted to leave and my car was blocked in by the runners coming in. I so wish I could say more because I know so many people worked so hard on this race. I think a committee with some solid runners that have done many races would be beneficial.  I also ran in the 5K race for the Appleton High school in April. It was a wonderfully run race and maybe OshKosh could team up with them. Wishing you all the best.

• Sfdemt Rookie 3 posts since
    May 23, 2009

Nice course. Mile markers not as well marked this year.  Shirt pretty ugly but overall a nice experience.  Very economical race

• runforesrun Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 27, 2009

There needs to be apparent mile markers.  It seems after this many years of this event it would go off like clock work.  I appreciate the beer at the end but why stuck in the corner like that?  Bad idea starting the 5K with the half.  Otherwise - THANKS to all of the volunteers.

• ricer10 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 23, 2012

There were positives and negatives about this event (Half Marathon).  Route: most of it was nice. However, there were parts of the route that were too narrow making it difficult to pass other runners or have space to walk along side. The mile markers were too small and easy to miss. Bib: it was very dissappointing to have to exchange your bib with your relay partner.  This was a major loss of time.  Freebies: I was disaapointed in the "goody bag" for the amount of money spent, I felt as though the quality of items in the bag and the shirt was not worth it.  I would rather get nothing at all and have the money spent on the "goodies" go directly to the causes.  The shirts were strange and poorly designed.  As far as the positives go, it was nice to have plenty of water/food/gel stations.  The volunteers did a great job.  Sadly, unless significant changes are made, I will not be back next year.

• Kherring2 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 23, 2008

The route is nice although can be alittle crowded on the trail.  Not too happy about them not having t-shirts considering I registered over a month ago.  The mile markers were very hard to pick out and after so many years you would think these would be clearly marked.  Was happy they at least didn't change the route again this year.

• tasha02 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 23, 2012

I really enjoyed the course! It was my first half marathon but I wonder if it was longer than 13.1 cuz my time was slower and my friends GPS thing said 14.1 instead of 13.1

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...