Skip navigation

5037 Views 54 Replies Latest reply: Apr 28, 2012 6:39 AM by mikegannon165 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • LGVDE Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 24, 2009

I thought that over all the event was good.  The beginning was a bit confusing though.  I do wish that there were mile markers for the 5K though.  This is the fourth year that I have done the event and there has never been markers for the 5K only the 1/2 Marathon.  Us 5Kers would also like to know how far we have come and how far we still have to go!

I also agree that the beer at the end is absolutely ridiculous!  I mean it is before 8 in the morning, you have just completed a running/walking event, if you really need or even want beer you need more help than what it will give you!  I will repeat what I read above, I hope my registration fee went to the charity instead of being wasted on beer!

• whatmovesyou Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 23, 2012

Course was nice but could use better mile markers and wider running lanes.  Kind of disappointed in lack of 4:00 course meeting on Saturday and race shirt.  The after race at the amphitheater was nice.  Running down the chute was cool gave it a big race feel. 

• gabohn Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 4, 2008

Great weather, scenic course, start was a bit confusing for line up. Shirts were less than desirable no date, ugly. Mile markers hard to spot, no one calling off times on any markers

• Klint74 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 23, 2012

I have run this race before and I have to say this year was extremely disappointing.  To start with the goody bags were missing the goodies and looked like left over Christmas bags not race bags.  The shirt was ugly and looked faded. During the race I had no idea how far I had run due to the lack of mile markers or poorly marked mile markers.  There was no one calling out times.  The trail was very narrow at times making it difficult to pass other runners.  Lastly, who wants beer so early in the morning.  I really would have liked to have a Pepsi just for the sugar.  Yes, I know there was juice available to drink but that was too sweet.  As I think about next years races, I think I can cross the Oshkosh Half off my list. It was just poorly run.

• patman40 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 6, 2008

Pro's: Great volunteers. Plenty of water stations. Well done there. Love the beer after. Just don't put it so close to where they're handing out food.

Cons: pre-registered runners not getting a t-shirt, although the shirts were rubbish anyway. Have a local artist come up with a design or have an option not to get one. Starting the half with the 5k runners was too crowded. Start the 5k 10 minutes after the half. Safer and less crowded. I live in Oshkosh and know the course but the mile markers were very hard to find at times. I would prefer the course run backwards. I'd rather have the softer trail towards the end and get the straight shot down 18th street out of the way first.

• PatrickDurkin Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 27, 2010

I enjoyed the event, but the simultaneous start with the 5K was messy. Lots of walkers up front, some side by side, causing congestion. It took about a quarter-mile to clear the last of them.

• Thumprq Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 30, 2010

This was my first half marathon but I thought it was fantastic...the course was a great run, the volunteers were wonderful...I liked the causes it was for and honestly don't care about the tshirt or bags I would do this event without those.  Great food and drink afterwards...looking forward to next year!! 

• SlowisSmooth Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 23, 2012

Pros: Thank you Oshkosh for hosting us! The volunteers are amazing, people sat on their steps in front of their house and cheered. Really nice course with plenty of room to pass if you want to. I love the road/ gravel combo.  Love the new finish chute. Also, the beer is the perfect touch! Thanks

Cons: Shirts, lack of visible mile markers, amp for awards ceremony was very distorted and hard to hear.

My Soap Box: Stop crying about the beer, no one made you drink it.  About the port a potties, show up earlier and be patient.  No passing room, give me a break, the course is never narrower than a sidewalks width, try asking politely, remember those two magic words? Look someone dropped the ball on the shirts, I am sure they know this and feel horrible.

I am sure when I run it next year the shirts will rock!

• Bruce Rounds Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 3, 2008

I enjoyed the course layout - which was similar to last year.  The mile markers need to improved!  Instead of writing the mile markers on the cones - put up larger signs that are more visible to the runners.  As well - shirts could be improved!  I enjoyed the straight finish at the end - nice improvement.

• Mr. Dad22 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 4, 2010

Great course...  The scenery changed often and no long boring straight sections.  I never ran through a cemetery, but that was actually pretty cool too.  Yeah, the mile markers could be better, the post race food selection could be better (add bagels and soda, but please KEEP the beer), and 1972 called, and they want their marathon shirts back :)...  but for a smaller fielded race, I thought it was overall a lot of fun!  Any time you serve beer at the end...  Let's just say, you had me at hello!  I used this as a tune up for a full marathon, and I will do it again next year, but I will be bringing more friends!  Great job overall!

• 4SeasonRunner Rookie 1 posts since
    May 2, 2011

The course was beautiful. Unfortunately, the concrete roads did me in. I pulled up lame at  Mile 10 and couldn't get my momentum back. I won't be able to run this road race again unless the course includes more paved or off-road sections.

• Deanna Traver Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 18, 2010

Over all it was ok.  Course was nice and flat. I PR'd! Volunteers and water stations were good.The wooden bridge, not so good. Mile markers were bad. Worst shirt ever! Not happy to find out I got a second run. Medal was kind of cheap too. Bag was something my grandma would have liked. The start was bad. Start the Half Marathoners first. A couple of people's complaints I don't get. The start time too early? 7 is perfect! The hill at the end? Have you run the Madison Marathon/Half Marathon? You run up West Washington going up to the square at the end. That's a lot worse. Complaining about beer at the end? Like someone else said "Don't drink it!" For a lot of us, it's a reward. If they make improvements I would consider doing it again especially because of the course.

• mattglee Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 28, 2012

I love this race. Love the early start and the fact that they did it quickly and didn't make us stand around and wait like a lot of other events. The course is great. The volunteers are great. The medal, shirt, and goody bag are fine for the price of the event. The miles were marked on the cones if you paid close enough attention. I don't really understand most of the complaints - it's definitely true you can't please everyone.

• dinyk60 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 24, 2012

I ran in the 5k and it was a little confusing with both the half and 5k starting at the same time. This is only my 3rd race, but it was the first race where people were elbowing and shoving other people out of the way. At the start of the 5k, there were walkers near the front! That was a little bothersome. I also tried to make sure there were other 5k people around me so I wouldn't follow any of the half-marathon people when the split came. Although when I got to the split it was clearly marked, unlike the mile markers.

I was worried about parking, but I got there at 6:30 and found a spot right away. The course was decent, although running on the sidewalk was sort of hard.

I went to college at UW-Oshkosh, so running near there was fun and I was able to PR. I would like to run the Half next year and see if any of the problems have been improved upon.

• archermaggot Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 24, 2012

Great Job everyone and Thank You to all of the volunteers! This was my fist in Oshkosh and I will be back. The course was never boring and the flatness was a nice change of pace for me. At times it was a little narrow and hard to navigate past others. The wooden bridge is really not safe or efficient. I was also quite disappointed in the color and design of the shirt. I thought 2011's shirt was many times better. Medals to me don't matter, they just hang out or get thrown in the drawer somewhere. Runners will wear the shirts and they are a great advertisement for the event. If people cannot read them it really does not help. Great Event in the end, but always room for improvement. Thank you.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...