Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2425 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2012 11:57 PM by protometal RSS
OrsonWeston Rookie 2 posts since
Feb 25, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 24, 2012 2:34 PM

Drinking an energy drink before or during a run

Im traning for a marathon and Im wondering if it would be really bad to drink a red bull or 5 hour energy before or during a long run?  Im currently drinking lots of water and usually use the gu. Any eveidence on why to or not to do this?  Thanks.

• Jasko123 Legend 461 posts since
    Apr 18, 2011
    1. Apr 30, 2012 2:47 PM (in response to OrsonWeston)

I would say save the energy drinks for recovery.  Most contain ingredients that increase heart rate (in addition to some other quirky side-effects that might interfer with your performance).  As with most other things, you could experiment with them in training to monitor the influence, but basically some of the additives in energy drinks actually force your body to remove fluids, so not a good match with perspiration and increased activities. 

Take a good look at the herbal stimulants and think about the combination with caffeine, amino acids and vitamin overloads.  (Not a lot of research is available to suggest the overall impact, but enough information exists to suggest they could be dangerous with a LR.)

Wishing you all the best in your training.

• CyborgDream Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 26, 2010
    2. Apr 30, 2012 5:59 PM (in response to OrsonWeston)

5 Hour energy, but the decaf. Or you could just take a B-Complex pill. I would stay away from to much caffeine, as Jasko123 said, it dehydrates and increases heart rate, two very bad things for a long run! You'll know by the way your body feels, if your supplementing right. I would try a few different things out, till you find what's right for you.

P.L.U.R. and Happy Running

Cyborg Dream

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,373 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Apr 30, 2012 6:29 PM (in response to CyborgDream)

I think I would want to investigate the effects of the "B-vitamins and amino acids" before using them. Also I think I would not use them during the run.  The amount of caffeine in one (1) of the drinks is not enough to worry about (about the same as a cup of coffee). Studies have shown that a cup or two of coffee an hour or so before running is sometimes a performance enhancer. 

Len

Len

• protometal Pro 124 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    4. May 5, 2012 11:57 PM (in response to OrsonWeston)

I have a hydration belt which I wear on my long runs. I have 2 bottles of water and 2 of Gatorade, which seems to work well for me and keeps me hydrated. I think that staying hydrated should be your main concern.

Protometal

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"-- Henry Ford

Upcoming races: Super 5k 2/3/13

Select Recent Results: Brooksie Way Half Marathon - 1:49:09 (Half Marathon PR), Open Door Julie Run 5k - 22:16 (2nd place age group, PR)

Check out my Running Blog: http://clippinalong.blogspot.com .

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...