Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

597 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2012 1:58 PM by lenzlaw RSS
VeggieChick81 Pro 130 posts since
Jan 28, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 24, 2012 12:49 PM

Gotta be kidding..the aches after my 19 miler. nervous :(

So mad at myself. SO mad. Went out and did 19 miles (ended up being 19.34 to be exact)

My long runs for the majority of my Training has been 10:00 miles. Why, on my longest run ever to date did I average a 9:35 pace? I would have been happy with this and actually was because I carried on right after the run like it never happened, but after two days of rest (skipped x-training day on Sunday and had a lazy rainy day) I went out for my 5 miler today. Usually after two days of rest, I bounce out the door and have a great time. Not today. My left Achilles felt so stiff, my right knee hurt...now my left inside thigh hurts. So ticked off.

I've been seeing a great sports massage therapist every other week...saw him this past Thursday. Wonder if I should call him and see if he can see me tonight...I have 8 miles in the am to do...freaking out now. So close to my taper :( only two more weeks :(

What do I do???? :( :(

"If you don't run you rust" - Tom Petty

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,369 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

Relax!  Take it easy, see your massage therapist if you can. Cut your 8-miler back to something you feel comfortable with - 3 miles, 4 miles, it doesn't matter that much. Right now you have a few (relatively) minor aches.  DO NOT PUSH YOURSELF and end up with a real injury.  You don't have much to gain this late in your training but potentially a lot to lose. Work on healing the aches first, then training will take care of itself.

Len

Len

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,369 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008

You did the long run Saturday, so your legs have had some time to recover before the massage. The usual recommendation is at least 24 to 48 hours before getting the massage, to give your legs some time to get back towards normal.  Take some time to recover, go easy for a few days, and you should be OK.  Cut your 12-miler down this weekend if you're not quite up to it. 

Another small piece of advice that you might find handy, particularly after the marathon.  A nice long walk helps with recovery.  The best recovery I ever had after a marathon was when I walked back 3 miles checking on some slower friends (and then another 3 miles back to the finish).  I felt great the next day!

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...